Weighted Burpees?

AFCrookie

Armageddon has arrived.
@Green
Reaction score
Did burpees the other day with a 10 lb DB in each hand. Wondering if thats even worth doing, or should I just stick to BW burpees, and do more reps?

Sounds challenging. Regular burpees are hard enough for me, I'll be interested in the responses.

Well considering the weight would do nothing for the pushup portion, you are basically just adding 20 lbs to a jump. If you are looking for a variation, just do tuck knee burpees.

If you insist on weighted burpees I'd probably recommend using a weighted vest.

Honestly IMO there's really no reason to add weights to burpees anyway, they are more of a conditioning exercise and I'd be willing to bet that you (or 99%) of the population couldn't do 5-10 min worth at a decent pace without feeling winded.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that you (or 99%) or the population could do 5-10 min worth at a decent pace without feeling winded.

Did you mean to write couldn't?

Because I get winded after 1-2 minute of burpees.

At the risk of derailing my own thread, can any of you recommend a good (and affordable) weight vest?

I briefly looked into getting a weight vest a couple months ago. Everything that I found was extremely overpriced. In general a vest filled with sand should NOT be $50. They have some out there that are $300+. How crazy is that? people can buy a weight vest that costed more than my bench, rack, 350 lbs of weights, and dumbells combined.

If you can find one for maybe $20 - $35... In my opinion that would be worth it. It's definitly a good piece of equipment to have. Maybe I'm just an overly frugal person though.

AS has been mentioned...BW burpies are enough for most people. I would only use a weight vest with burpies under two condtions. A. training a VERY fit fighter. B. As part of a fight specific circut (5 exercises, 1 min each) for a guy who was fighting a bigger, stronger opponent, who liked to clinch (say Randy). The purpose of condtion B is to get him used to carrying the other guys weight. I would also have the same guy do weighted drills (say, sit outs, bridging) with the weigh vest.

A workout I did 2 weeks ago consisted of 10 burpees with a 20lb vest each minute for ten minutes so 100 total in ten minutes.

There's nothing wrong with holding dumbbells with burpees. In fact, Ross Enamait recommends it in Infinite Intensity. It's not better or worse than a regular burpee, it's just different and adds a new dynamic to the exercise. Most people have a hard enough time with regular burpees, but if you're well-conditioned and blast through regular burpees, it can add a new challenge.

i have done it before just cause i like to change things so i dont get bored (adhd i rekon) but you can always throw in a renegade rows at the bottom or instead of jumping do curl-press or even the tuck jumps mentioned. doing the one exercise for 5 mins or whateva cant be as effecient as constantly exploding with diff exercises.

Ive done 100 straight burpees with a 60 pound vest on immediatly after my hour and a half conditioning workouts where i was completly gassed when i started....and i can honestly say...that shit it outrageous.

At the risk of derailing my own thread, can any of you recommend a good (and affordable) weight vest?

I bought an old M203 grenade vest and made weights from sand, ziplocks and duct tape. Basically cost me about $25.00 in total for a 25lbs weighted vest. I've been considering using some lead pellets or buckshot; melting it down and making some weights out of that too for when I need more weight. If you do that make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area and wash your hands after handling the lead.

I bought an old M203 grenade vest and made weights from sand, ziplocks and duct tape. Basically cost me about $25.00 in total for a 25lbs weighted vest. I've been considering using some lead pellets or buckshot; melting it down and making some weights out of that too for when I need more weight. If you do that make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area and wash your hands after handling the lead.
stay away from lead. I shoot, a lot, too many old guys die from melting down lead, its simply not worth it. Now getting someone that has the proper equipment to do it for you shouldn't be too pricey. Buckshot sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't even both melting it down too many risks not enough benefit just leave it as shot in a ziplock.

IMO the barbels are a good idea, much like push up bars gives you a deeper push up and more weight everywhere else. So grand benefit? Probably not, better exercise? I imagine so.

stay away from lead. I shoot, a lot, too many old guys die from melting down lead, its simply not worth it. Now getting someone that has the proper equipment to do it for you shouldn't be too pricey. Buckshot sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't even both melting it down too many risks not enough benefit just leave it as shot in a ziplock.

IMO the barbels are a good idea, much like push up bars gives you a deeper push up and more weight everywhere else. So grand benefit? Probably not, better exercise? I imagine so.

The biggest issue with lead is ingestion. Hence washing your hands, as for fumes if you did it in a well ventilated area you should be alright. If you are really concerned you can go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes and by a minimum N-95 HEPA mask to wear while you do the work.

I work for a company that removes asbestos, lead, mold, contaminated soil, PCBs and just about anything else no one wants to mess with. If I die from smelting lead pellets I'd just consider it an ironic tragedy.

If you insist on weighted burpees I'd probably recommend using a weighted vest.

Honestly IMO there's really no reason to add weights to burpees anyway, they are more of a conditioning exercise and I'd be willing to bet that you (or 99%) or the population couldn't do 5-10 min worth at a decent pace without feeling winded.

Go back to school.

I have done weighted burpees before, you pretty much just doing a push-up with a dumbbell clean and press.. I really like doing them, I use to do sets of 8 as heavy as I can.

Ive done 100 straight burpees with a 60 pound vest on immediatly after my hour and a half conditioning workouts where i was completly gassed when i started....and i can honestly say...that shit it outrageous.

damn dude you are a bad dude. Haha I bet that sucked.

Back