Weight lifting straps - hooks??

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I started proper heavy deadlifting recently enough - where I used to use the hex bar, now the straight bar, and proper heavy weight for the first time.

I always used straps, but on the straight bar with heavier weight, as it's my first foray into this realm, I'm finding one of the straps keeps slipping, lose my grip - and can't get my work done - which is actually incredibly frustrating.

So - I use regular straps.
I've seen guys use shorter straps.
And upon google research - I see there's something called weight lifting "hooks" - which look like they may well solve all my problems.

I don't care about grip strength.

Are there any recommendations - or did anyone experience this problem before and how did you resolve it?

I use a mixed grip - and always will.

No real need to use mix grip when using straps. And you can tighten the straps by rolling the bar in your hand when using overhand grip, but trying to use mixed grip with straps you obviously can't do this which is probably why one comes loose.

Get man hands. Or woman hands. Just get rid of your bitch hands.

Grips - are an alternative.

Anyone use hooks, OR grips??

I checked out a youtube tutorial.

I've been wrapping them the wrong way around the bar.

I hope that will solve the problem.

Do you use chalk? I'm surprised you are having grip issues if you aren't moving that heavy of weight yet.

I use a mixed grip - and always will.

Why would you use mixed grip with straps?

Don't. Don't do that.

Learn how to wrap your straps around the bar properly. It should only take one loop around. The rest can stick out from between your fingers.

Grips - are an alternative.

Anyone use hooks, OR grips??

Are you autistic?

You have people replying in your thread and, instead of talking to them, you just keep posting the same thing.

Last edited:
Do you use chalk? I'm surprised you are having grip issues if you aren't moving that heavy of weight yet.

I have long slender fingers.
The problem doesn't really occur until about 180 kgs.
I haven't tried heavier than that cause I get very annoyed at the slipping at 180kgs.

I've tried chalk, the bar doesn't slip, but my hands just give way at any significant weight.

Just use the straps you have properly with an overhand grip. There will be no problem if you do so.

Perhaps think about getting a tutor, if your screwing up little things like this you might be screwing up more important shit and not realise it.

What's the point of working to get stronger if you're not going to address the weakest link?

Use hook grip on light weights, mixed when that gets challenging. Grip strength is so incredibly underrated.

Figure out how to wrap them properly and use overhand grip.

you can build your grip strength by starting with no straps until you get to a certain weight. Just make sure you progress with this as well.

I started wrapping them correctly - now it's much better.

Must I use double overhand grip?
Why is mixed grip a no no?

It feels better - more balanced.

Back