Weight-lifting for Boxing question

XxaemaeThxX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've actually been weightlifting since I was about 20yo seriously, that is in a gym regularly. I'm 30yo now, about 5'10 and 185lbs. I have kind of a blocky-build type, like i.e. Canelo alvarez more than let's say, Triple GGG (who is long and leaner).

My question is I've been lifting heavy for years, like I don't have any insane PR's or anything, but I bench a decent more than my body weight, same with squating and deadlifting (don't really 1 rep max these days anymore however).

With that being said, I find it difficult at times to do MULTIPLE SET's of MULTIPLE DAYS, i.e. a 5 day a week 1muscle group per day, chest monday, back tues, shoulders wed, etc.. etc.. with like 20 sets give or take per body part, it can be SUPER HARD to go hit the heavy bag or do cardio after because I'm pretty tired etc...

Must one tailor their routine if they to train for boxing or MMA that is and hold-back on the weight lifting? If I keep my weight works outs to 45min and maybe squish some days together, lets say a 4 day routine, i could probably squeeze more CARDIO days in and have extra time for bag work , jump roping etc...

I was wondering what other guys on here do , and if they encountered the same issue . Like, when I go workout , I want to lift more weight and get muscular, but sometimes I Feel like its impossible to do maximize potential of 2 things at 1 time i.e. get muscular and increase weights on lifts BUT increase cardio and athleticism at same (hmm.... perdiodization training?)

anyway, thanks too much text from me sorry

Hey guys, I've actually been weightlifting since I was about 20yo seriously, that is in a gym regularly. I'm 30yo now, about 5'10 and 185lbs. I have kind of a blocky-build type, like i.e. Canelo alvarez more than let's say, Triple GGG (who is long and leaner).

My question is I've been lifting heavy for years, like I don't have any insane PR's or anything, but I bench a decent more than my body weight, same with squating and deadlifting (don't really 1 rep max these days anymore however).

With that being said, I find it difficult at times to do MULTIPLE SET's of MULTIPLE DAYS, i.e. a 5 day a week 1muscle group per day, chest monday, back tues, shoulders wed, etc.. etc.. with like 20 sets give or take per body part, it can be SUPER HARD to go hit the heavy bag or do cardio after because I'm pretty tired etc...

Must one tailor their routine if they to train for boxing or MMA that is and hold-back on the weight lifting? If I keep my weight works outs to 45min and maybe squish some days together, lets say a 4 day routine, i could probably squeeze more CARDIO days in and have extra time for bag work , jump roping etc...

I was wondering what other guys on here do , and if they encountered the same issue . Like, when I go workout , I want to lift more weight and get muscular, but sometimes I Feel like its impossible to do maximize potential of 2 things at 1 time i.e. get muscular and increase weights on lifts BUT increase cardio and athleticism at same (hmm.... perdiodization training?)

anyway, thanks too much text from me sorry
You basicly answered your own question. Shorter weightlifting sessions, less volume, less frequency, with the inclusions of blocks at certain times a year if you want to work on specific things. Sounds like you already have a good base.

If you're serious about learning the craft of boxing, then you have to reconcile that you have to put weightlifting on the backburner.

Personally I mostly do weightlifting as a way to prevent injury atm (which is still important) and then I use most of the time on cardio, athletics and boxing technique. A few times a year I might ramp up the lifting for fun.

Some people have good success with Tactical Barbell and the Fighters Template as a workout routine. Haven't tried it, but it seems pretty solid from what I've seen.

I've always favored lifting regardless of sport. But I think the priority is muscle imbalances for injury prevention when it comes to combat sports, most notably striking. There's a much better carry over from max strength to grappling, striking will reap benefits, but its not the same.

I've had success with 531, 5x5, and even bb programs like PHUL. You'll have to tailor it depending on your schedule, recovery, and athletic state. For me I transition down when in camp. From off camp I'm lifting 4-5 days a week, about 3 weeks in (of 8) I cut it down to 3, then week 4-7 its 2 days, while my S&C ups, and nothing on the week of a fight. That's cut week so I'm really not doing anything anyways.

You basicly answered your own question. Shorter weightlifting sessions, less volume, less frequency, with the inclusions of blocks at certain times a year if you want to work on specific things. Sounds like you already have a good base.

If you're serious about learning the craft of boxing, then you have to reconcile that you have to put weightlifting on the backburner.

Personally I mostly do weightlifting as a way to prevent injury atm (which is still important) and then I use most of the time on cardio, athletics and boxing technique. A few times a year I might ramp up the lifting for fun.

Some people have good success with Tactical Barbell and the Fighters Template as a workout routine. Haven't tried it, but it seems pretty solid from what I've seen.

Thanks, what is the Tactical Barbell and fighters Template? Are they routines/tutorials/guides on this website?

Looks like I'm going to cut back on the weight lifting then and ramp the bag work + cardio. All this weight lifting and lifting heavy , which has in turn made me more hungry daily and subsequently I have done less cardio has kinda made me "blocky" in my physique stature, currently at 190lbs, but I'm easily naturally 160-170lbs when I don't lift as heavy or eat excessively.

Thanks, what is the Tactical Barbell and fighters Template? Are they routines/tutorials/guides on this website?

link

Looks like I'm going to cut back on the weight lifting then and ramp the bag work + cardio. All this weight lifting and lifting heavy , which has in turn made me more hungry daily and subsequently I have done less cardio has kinda made me "blocky" in my physique stature, currently at 190lbs, but I'm easily naturally 160-170lbs when I don't lift as heavy or eat excessively.
That's because your activity level has increased, meaning your overall maintenance has increased. The more physically active you are, the more you get to eat since your metab adjusts

@j123 gave a link for a spreadsheet with the protocol, but you might want to google it to find out more. As I said I haven't done it, but reading @Genghiz log it seems there are considerations about endurance blocks and HIT blocks as well. Maybe he can chime in.

Anyway, you say that you want to use more time on bagwork and cardio, but how many times are you going to the boxing gym?

What he said. Also use a Hi-Low system so that some of the days are explicitly not overloading.

Yep, as someone that trains Muay Thai I've had a lot of success with Tac BB. There's two parts to it; a strength and a cardio (conditioning) book.

The strength stuff works really well alongside combat sports. I'm by no means the strongest guy around but using Fighter temp I built up some respectable numbers while training MT 3-4 x week. I found 5x5/SS unsustainable with MT, while 531 was very comfortable but didn't really improve my maximums much. TB bridges that divide for me...sustainable and lots of bang for buck in terms of improving raw numbers.

I also can't recommend Joel Jamieson's MMA book enough if you're serious at all about S&C for combat sports. In fact I would start with that first.

Back