Weight cutting and carbs (need help cutting weight)

L0t4master663

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So my first wrestling meet is on Wednesday and I am 8 pounds over my weight class

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/weight-cutting-thread-450596/

I've been following the weight cutting threads plan and I am at the point of cutting calories and carbs to quicken weight loss so I don't have to cut too much water weight.

I have cut carbs but need energy after practice (I practice from 3:00- 6:00) and I don't usually eat carbs at this time so I can lose fat. How many carbs should I intake without gaining too much weight?

Thanks in advance.

This isn't meant as a sarcastic question, but why do you think you need carbs so badly after practice? If cutting weight is the priority, I would avoid them, for the most part. There are often good reasons to eat carbs PWO, but they aren't required, especially if you're trying to cut weight.

That said, you could probably get away with consuming a small quantity of carbs without screwing up your cut much, but since I don't know why you want them in the first place, I don't know if they would be worthwhile. But I wouldn't worry too much about eating some fruit or something with a protein rich meal.

This isn't meant as a sarcastic question, but why do you think you need carbs so badly after practice? If cutting weight is the priority, I would avoid them, for the most part. There are often good reasons to eat carbs PWO, but they aren't required, especially if you're trying to cut weight.

That said, you could probably get away with consuming a small quantity of carbs without screwing up your cut much, but since I don't know why you want them in the first place, I don't know if they would be worthwhile. But I wouldn't worry too much about eating some fruit or something with a protein rich meal.

I assumed that people needed carbs as an energy source, but if I don't need carbs thats great! thanks man.

first off, i dont know any1 elses credentials here,but i have done the whole weight cutting thing for years, the right way and the wrong way- ive competed at all levels and am currently a coach...first let me say do NOT cut carbs... the next thing is, how old are you- this means a lot when it comes to weight cutting

first off, i dont know any1 elses credentials here,but i have done the whole weight cutting thing for years, the right way and the wrong way- ive competed at all levels and am currently a coach...first let me say do NOT cut carbs... the next thing is, how old are you- this means a lot when it comes to weight cutting

And why not?

And why not?

you need energy, more now than ever... for ms and hs kids especially bc they need to go through a whole day of school followed by a grueling practice, plus they are still growing- cutting carbs= not smart idea, it will actually make it harder to lose weight bc you will have less energy

I assumed that people needed carbs as an energy source, but if I don't need carbs thats great! thanks man.

Your body can get energy just fine from protein and fat. Both in terms of cutting extraneous calories and keeping water retention down, cutting carbs is a good call. If you need to lose weight, you're going to have to cut something: Protein, carbs, fat, water, or some mixture of them...out of the four, guess which is the only one you body doesn't need? Carbs, of course.

Bear in mind, adapting to perform optimally to a very low carb diet takes time, but I assume you'll have some time to get some carbs in your system closer to the time of your matches, so this will probably be a non-issue.

Your body can get energy just fine from protein and fat. Both in terms of cutting extraneous calories and keeping water retention down, cutting carbs is a good call.

Bear in mind, adapting to perform optimally to a very low carb diet takes time, but I assume you'll have some time to get some carbs in your system closer to the time of your matches, so this will probably be a non-issue.

you will not perform optimally on a low carb diet... no pro athlete is on a low carb diet. carbs are the number 1 source of energy in your body, there is a difference between weight cutting and weight loss... most wrestlers have a weight loss program b4 they actually "cut" weight- BUT in wrestling season cutting carbs is not the answer. you can get energy from fat and protein but you will have to eat MORE of them- which means more weight, which for the purposes of cutting weight is bad

you will not perform optimally on a low carb diet... no pro athlete is on a low carb diet. carbs are the number 1 source of energy in your body, there is a difference between weight cutting and weight loss... most wrestlers have a weight loss program b4 they actually "cut" weight- BUT in wrestling season cutting carbs is not the answer. you can get energy from fat and protein but you will have to eat MORE of them- which means more weight, which for the purposes of cutting weight is bad

I don't even know where to start. I will just say that for strength athletes, fighters, wrestlers, football players, etc low carb is just fine. If you're coaching marathon runners or Iron Man triathletes, then give em more carbs, but wrestlers will do fine without.

I don't even know where to start. I will just say that for strength athletes, fighters, wrestlers, football players, etc low carb is just fine. If you're coaching marathon runners or Iron Man triathletes, then give em more carbs, but wrestlers will do fine without.

sorry to tell ya, but wrestling and fighting are not strength sports... this is a cardio thing anyways... but football is start and stop, wrestling and fighting are not, you have to go hard for the whole 6 or 7minutes/ 15-25 minutes. u can have all the strength in the world, but if its gone after 2 minutes u wont do so well- ask baroni

not gonna get into a full on argument on this topic... if the TS wants to know how to cut weight the right way, PM me, if not, no biggie

sorry to tell ya, but wrestling and fighting are not strength sports... this is a cardio thing anyways... but football is start and stop, wrestling and fighting are not, you have to go hard for the whole 6 or 7minutes/ 15-25 minutes. u can have all the strength in the world, but if its gone after 2 minutes u wont do so well- ask baroni

That's why there were commas between them. I didn't say "strength sports such as ..." So you're saying there aren't breaks between periods in wrestling & fighting? I've participated in football, wrestling, mma, and kickboxing...I know it's not all strength. (Back to the point) I also know you don't need many carbs in those sports. Fighters & wrestlers are not strength athletes, they are also not endurance athletes.

I don't mean to come across as harsh, but has it occurred to you that a lot of us on this board are grapplers or combat athletes of some sort, that have experience with low carb diets, weight cutting, etc.? Heck, one of the mods, Sinister, is a hardcore boxer, and I *think* he's full-blown gone Keto.

I also disagree with your assertion that you have to eat "more" protein and fat in order to get energy from them...A gram of fat has more (over twice as many, in fact) calories than a gram of carbs, and a lower thermic effect to boot.

As for protein, yes, it has a higher thermic effect/lower caloric density than carbs, but there are a plethora of reasons to eat protein beyond it's use as an energy source.

So my first wrestling meet is on Wednesday and I am 8 pounds over my weight class

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/weight-cutting-thread-450596/

I've been following the weight cutting threads plan and I am at the point of cutting calories and carbs to quicken weight loss so I don't have to cut too much water weight.

I have cut carbs but need energy after practice (I practice from 3:00- 6:00) and I don't usually eat carbs at this time so I can lose fat. How many carbs should I intake without gaining too much weight?

Thanks in advance.

Sigh...............OK Buddy, you do not need "carbs" for energy. You need CALORIES for energy. The right kinds of carbs are a good choice as part of a balanced diet, but are NOT an optimal choice if you still need to drop some weight.

You mention cutting carbs so you do not have to cut as much water weight. My friend, cutting carbs IS cutting water weight. I swear i say this in 3 posts a week, but for every gram of carb/soduim in your system, the body holds 3 grams of water.
When you put a lot of carbs in your system, your body is just going to hold on to that water.

Protein, leafy vegetables (spinach is excellent) and raw fruit/veg will be fine for a few days, and will make the cut easier. It is not a great idea to make this a habit though.

U can cut ur carbs out protein and fat will give u energy.

I see this has already turned into a shit-show, but I'll dance anyways.

The body can synthesize glucose from protein and fat. Cutting carbs will cut a lot of water weight (3-8 lbs is typical, depending on your previous carb intake) as you deplete glycogen. If you maintain a very-low-carb diet for an extended period of time (how long depends on how much carbohydrate you are eating), you will go into ketosis. The benefits of ketosis are not well established in the research, but you will be there nonetheless. There are various methods of maintaining training intensity on very low carbs. My strategy is to not eat all day and eat one apple to break the fast about 30 to 60 minutes pre-training. There are theories as to why this works, but no established reason. My personal favourite is that it triggers glucose release from the liver, making it available for high intensity work. I'm not sure if it would work without the fast, since I simply have not done it.

I'll bite. What DO you recommend for weight cutting? Sample diet? I'n curious.

First off you are not the only one on these boards that cuts weight. I personally cut weight for various competitions and can, without doubt, say that if I kept carbs my weightloss and cut would become MUCH harder!

sorry to tell ya, but wrestling and fighting are not strength sports... this is a cardio thing anyways...

Not to jump on the band wagon, because I'm not anti-carb, but wtf is this? I've played just about every sport. I really mean every. When I was a kid I played basketball, baseball and football in the fall. I'd leave one game and go to another or rest for an hour or two and head off to the next.

Out of all the sports, MMA is most certainly the one sport where strength matters. Sure, it is cardio, no disagreement there. However, in football there is only explosive strength coming off the line. The rest is just weight in motion and grip. MMA utilizes that explosive strength up to the entire fight, especially with a grappler. Anyone can throw someone out of the way or push them over. How about using that same explosive energy for 5 minutes on the ground with someone trying to choke you out. It's that explosive energy with muscular endurance. So not only do they have to be strong, but they have to be able to keep that strength up for extended periods of time.

What I'm about to say has nothing to do with being biased, and I mean that to the fullest; an MMA fighter is an all around top athlete. They have to be the best at everything. Sure a football player can generate more strength, and a professional marathon runner has better cardio endurance, but a professional MMA fighter is everything combined into one. They are an overall more complete athlete. They can do it all with excellence and raw power.

To say what you said implies two things. One, you're a complete beginner to the sport of MMA. Two, you've never fought a worthy opponent. I'd love to see you take someone on with the mentality this is not a strength sport. I would throw you around like a little rag doll, then pick you up and slam your back through the floor.

My two cents are that cutting carbs make dropping weight easier but is harder mentally for most people that like carbs to not eat them.

They often feel lack of energy etc at first and cant continue the progress.

Maybe just use moderation such as a small amount of carbs before and after workouts and stick with proteins+fats at other times.

Anyhow I dont like cutting, I just walk around within a few pounds of what i want to fight at and make it easy for me.

Back