Weight class for me.

MrFlintStone

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am 5'6 currently 181 was 230 and I am training 3-4 times a week. I have large hands and a 70inch reach. I was wondering what weight class should I fight at for mma and muay Thai?

The weight class you find yourself performing and feeling your best at in sparring and training.

Don't think about your weight class yet. Just think about improving.

You need to bulk up and fight at super heavyweight

Train until your coach asks you to have a fight. Then jump in at what ever you weigh at the time.
Screw cutting weight unless you are making an income from the sport.

Are you built like DC or Lombard? Large hands maybe means Carwin build and you fight at 6'3

I would say lightweight. But thats down the line. What I'm gonna say is gonna sound like a bummer, but its best to address the elephant in the room.

Really it depends on you as a person, if you thrive on fighting taller people and can impose your will properly you'll be fine. If you're the type to usually back up when someone comes forward, it won't work well with you. So say mentally you struggle against shorter people but have no issues with taller guys, it works well for you.

In MT you will have a huge height disadvantage. Being lanky is preferred in striking, and its not rare to come across people at 165+ to be 6'2 - 6'4. Against those guys at that weight you're gonna get dominated on the outside and in the clinch. Punching distance is where you'll do fine, but really you'll excel at 1 or 3 ranges. Guys your height are usually around 130-145.

From what I've seen and exp'd at the novice level, that height difference will work against you significantly. At that level there is barely any technique, it is a grueling brawl fest feuled on aggression , adrenaline, and instincts. At the more experienced level you'll be creative and will work whats best as you are more experienced.

MMA being more grappling oriented, being stocky works well to your advantage.

Well I was planning on losing more weight idk if I should try for 135 145 or 155?
I would say lightweight. But thats down the line. What I'm gonna say is gonna sound like a bummer, but its best to address the elephant in the room.

Really it depends on you as a person, if you thrive on fighting taller people and can impose your will properly you'll be fine. If you're the type to usually back up when someone comes forward, it won't work well with you. So say mentally you struggle against shorter people but have no issues with taller guys, it works well for you.

In MT you will have a huge height disadvantage. Being lanky is preferred in striking, and its not rare to come across people at 165+ to be 6'2 - 6'4. Against those guys at that weight you're gonna get dominated on the outside and in the clinch. Punching distance is where you'll do fine, but really you'll excel at 1 or 3 ranges. Guys your height are usually around 130-145.

From what I've seen and exp'd at the novice level, that height difference will work against you significantly. At that level there is barely any technique, it is a grueling brawl fest feuled on aggression , adrenaline, and instincts. At the more experienced level you'll be creative and will work whats best as you are more experienced.

MMA being more grappling oriented, being stocky works well to your advantage.

Well I was planning on losing more weight idk if I should try for 135 145 or 155?
Those are all for plans in the future, its still too early to be set on it.

Are you carrying alot of fat, or are you just a naturally stocky muscular type? If you're carry alot of fat, trim it out, and see where you stand. Ideally you'd aim to have 10-12% bodyfat and make a decision then.

Now when it comes to weight classes, take whichever you plan to compete in, and add 10lbs to it, thats really what you'll be. You make weight by dehydration (weight cutting / water manipulation) and bounce back to your normal weight the next day or half day later.

Basically, you compete at 155, but really are 165 lbs after you rehydrate yourself.

I am 5'6 currently 181 was 230 and I am training 3-4 times a week. I have large hands and a 70inch reach. I was wondering what weight class should I fight at for mma and muay Thai?

Do you have any idea what your body fat % is?

5'6 would be tall for 125, about average for 135, slightly short for 145, and tiny for 155.

I think the shortest 155er is Michel Prazeres and he is 5'6, but he is super stocky and is an exception. He also weighs around 180 pounds.

If you are not absolutely jacked at 5'6 180, you need to lose more weight and optimize your frame before fighting.

Get as low as you can comfortable get, I bet you could get yourself around 165-170 if you are just a super short but dense dude. Fight at 155, but I warn you, there are many guys who weigh as much as you do, and are 3-6 inches taller. You would have more success at 145 probably. Think Dennis Bermudez. 5'6, but he weighs like 165 super thick and cuts to 145, but I don't recommend cutting that much. Keep it around 10 pounds or so

Being long and lean really is an advantage in this sport for the most part.

Back