Weidman says he has low testosterone,challenges Vitor to compare testosterone levels

source http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/6/5274774/the-mma-hour-with-chris-weidman-tarec-saffiedine-matt-serra-luke

Yesterday Weidman spoke out on the MMA hour show with Ariel about why he is against TRT.
He said , he himself has low testosterone and did not agree with what guys like Vitor do.
He also confirmed he has low testosterone and challenged Vitor to compare their testosterone levels to see how much higher Vitors testosterone would be then his since he already has low testosterone and refuses to take TRT.

Wish more guys were like Weidman and not choose to take the easy way out , Weidman has low testosterone and Im sure can be granted a trt exemption like all these other guys but refuses to go on that stuff and use hard work in the gym instead of TRT to compeate. He goes the clean way and does not take any short cuts even with low testosterone levels.

Weidman needs to stop whining and get in the ring and fight Belfort. Weidman is also a 29 yearold guy and Vitor is over 35, I think it would be easy for a 29 yearold to talk about not being on TRT.

He already signed to fight Vitor knowing vitor was on TRT. Jones fought TRT vitor and so did countless other fighters who fought Vitor and made no cries about his TRT use.

Last edited:
Honestly, since this is for a championship belt, vitor should have to go through random drug testing all throughout his camp.

Even without a belt on the line he typically does blood tests during camps which is harder to "trick" then piss tests.... he gets tested a lot most guys on TRT do

The problem with how athletic commissions evaluate TRT users (and all athletes) is that they take urine tests only, not blood levels of actual testosterone. In the urine they look for the infamous "ratio" we all hear about. The problem with this is that several body processes can skew this ratio, as well as using exogenous steroids. A simple (and not that expensive) solution would be to mandate TRT users to only take long ester's of testosterone such as deconate or enathate (which creates more stable blood levels) and then pull blood once a week or once every two weeks and measure the actual testosterone levels in the blood. Furthermore, a cap should be set so that a TRT user should only be allowed to supplement their testosterone to bring them just into the "normal" range, say between 280-400 ng, and not into the mid or high of "normal."

I believe TRT users do have the blood tests, though.

I fully agree with the last sentence in your post. That's what I think is missing: a hard, articulated cap.

If he has low T and isn't using TRT then he is a fucking idiot. Absolutely zero respect for morons like that.

I have absolutely zero respect for people that have zero respect for fighters fighting clean.

I understand where Weidman is coming from. However, I never thought I'd see the day where the world's top fighters went running around saying "my testosterone levels are lower than yours!"

Makes Longo's shit talk on Vitor seem a little less powerful now that Weidman saying he has low Test is being publicized.

I realize lots of people have lower Test amounts than others- but it begs the same questions that are insinuated about lots of others: How did he develop decreased Test production?!

I believe TRT users do have the blood tests, though.

I fully agree with the last sentence in your post. That's what I think is missing: a hard, articulated cap.

I don't believe at least the nevada comission mandates blood tests, which is why guys like chael and drysdale get popped for a high ratio rather than high blood levels. Also, Vitor pointed out that in Brazil (and not Nevada) the commission does blood tests when arguing that he already has undergone extensive monitoring. All TRT users (those with legit doc) do have blood tests of course, but they are not necessarily demanded by commissions, I believe

Or did Chael get popped in Cali? not sure..

Yeah, that's the best I saw too, and it doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe I'm missing the point, but he says the cut off is under 300 and then says "at best" they expect guys to be in the 600s. So, what does the cut off being at 300 mean?

I'd just like a little more transparency into how it works.
Yeah it's odd that they allow people who use TRT to have a testosterone level of 650 ng/dL even though you are considered to have normal T-level as long as you have above 300 ng/dL.

So if Fighter A have 350 ng/dL he is not allowed to get TRT, but Fighter B with 250 ng/dL is allowed to elevate his testosterone level to ~650 ng/dL. That doesn't seem fair to be honest.
A fighter who "needs" TRT should only be allowed to raise his testosterone level up to the low end of what is considered normal.

I remember Weidman saying a long time ago before he was the champion, that he got his testosterone levels tested, and they were low. The doctor let him look at the legal limit for TRT users and it was much higher than the average of a young man.

So when people say TRT just takes your testosterone to normal levels, they don't realise that the normal level for TRT is way beyond that of a natural man.

This is not completely accurate. There is a wide range of what is considered normal. A lot of people with good genetics fall into the high side of that normal range, but often they have 2-3 times the amount of testosterone that someone on the low side of what is normal might have. I couldn't find any evidence to give any transparency on where in that range people being administered with TRT are "restored" too, but the general consensus is that they are most likely having their T levels raised to the upper end of the "normal" range.

It's still pretty ridiculous though; for a lot of these guys with low T, even if their was no substance abuse leading to their condition, their T was most likely never as high as it is with TRT when they were in their physical prime. TRT should be limited to "restoring" fighters to the low side of what is considered normal.

That's what I've seen as the broad range for "normal" levels, I've also seen Kizer, for one, say that the guys are supposed to be on the lower end of the "normal" range. Certainly you're not allowed to supplement yourself up to the very limit, especially if, as the other poster mentioned, most fall around 625.

I may be farting in the wind here. Maybe there isn't a hard, set limit of "if you're on TRT you can't be over X." But it certainly seems like there should be, right?

Well, the upper number of the range would be the hard limit and that would be for anyone not just TRT guys. Of course they don't test levels of anyone but people w/ a TUE for TRT, just ratios for the others.

The ratios are just indication of synthetic hormone use not necessarily high T levels, I'm pretty sure.

If you try to get to the very top of the range you'll be playing russian roulette because levels can fluctuate. I would think you'd have to leave some margin for error.

If he has low T and isn't using TRT then he is a fucking idiot. Absolutely zero respect for morons like that.

I am sure he will lose sleep over your lack of respect for the fact that he would rather fight naturally than to be medically suplemented. His philosphy of "Work with what you have by nature, or choose a different career" has been fully and thoroughly dismantled by your assault upon his intelligence. Congratulations, Sir. You have won.

Instead of bitching and worrying about Vitor's TRT he should stfu and train to fight him.

I predict a loss for Weidman.

Tale of The Tape 2014

Weight
Reach
Testosterone

:D

That's like Hector Lombard challenging Weidman to a weight (or height) comparison to discredit Weiman being a large MW.

Weidman already accepted the fight; UFC already booked the fight; athletic commission will make it all legal, and pre- and post- fight drug tests will make the final verdict.

What a stupid comparison to make.

Weidman never said he had low testosterone he just said his testosterone levels are a lot lower than the levels that the guys with TRT are allowed to have.

I am sure he will lose sleep over your lack of respect for the fact that he would rather fight naturally than to be medically suplemented. His philosphy of "Work with what you have by nature, or choose a different career" has been fully and thoroughly dismantled by your assault upon his intelligence. Congratulations, Sir. You have won.

Weidman's mom's account confirmed.

Back