Weidman really hasn't suffered much damage career-wise

What does that have to do with anything? I am not arguing he is the most notorious or well-recognized fighter, but that diminishing his accomplishments or standing because he is no longer under contract to the UFC is asinine.
Ok, but why did he even fight in UFC, everyone wants that belt, he has 5 UFC wins in a row, and then goes to Bellator. He would earn much more by being UFC champion.

Ive noticed an idea on here that gets perpetuated alot regarding Weidman and head trauma/damage relative to his last few fights. But contextually he honestly hasnt suffered that much compared to some of his peers.

He got stopped by Rockhold, Romero and Mousasi by TKO, yes. But he never lost consciousness in any of those fights and the Moose fight has a big asterisk next to it cause of the ref fuckup. He took a couple knees to the head but he wasnt dropped or anything, so i think that loss gets exaggerated a bit for whatever reason.

Kelvin was the first guy to drop him not counting the Romero TKO and outside that the only other fight he really went through the grinder was Machida which he won. So yes, he's taken alot of punishment in a short span of time, but compared to guys like Lauzon, Hunt, Overeem, Diego, Bisping, Lawler, and plenty others who go out and take a ton of damage every single fight I'd argue hes alot better off CTE wise

TL;DR: Dont judge a fighter by looking at their record on fightfinder
It doesn't matter. Just like everyone ages differently, some fighters can take more punishment than others. Jordan parsons had CTE at 25 with only 1 KO loss on his record. There are studies that show repeated,subconcussive blows can cause CTE. Sparring falls into the "subconcussize" category. So some guys might seem to be better off than others, there's no way of getting around the fact that you will get CTE as a fighter. People need to stop thinking that it takes a brutal knockouts or 5 round wars to damage the brain...it doesn't. We are not evolved to get hit in the head repeatedly. It's not just an NFL problem. As more fighters' brains are examined post mortem the numbers will buttress this. And you don't necessarily have to go unconscious to get a concussion and you can get Knocked out and NOT suffer a concussion.

Hmmm,in the Rockhold fight alone he took a vicious amount of head trauma. It was horrible to watch,thank you Herb Dean.

He also got knocked out in a brutal way against Romero. That was a lot of brain damage too.

This myth of "the referee fucked up" in the Mousasi fight is still alive? Referee didn't fuck up anything. Mousasi hurt Weidman with some brutal knees, and he was laying on the ground not knowing what day and month it was. This sounds like bad brain damage if you ask me.

He spent a very short anount of time standing with Gastelum and he got knocked down bad. Saying be took a lot of damage in the last four fights seems perfectly correct tbh.

He is slurring his words now, 100% he's suffering from brain damage already. On top of that he got his face rearranged by one big strike.

Despite of what he's going through he still celebrates and makes fun of others' fight injuries(Bisping's eye, Anderson's leg etc.) so there's nothing that will make me feel sorry for him no matter what happens in his next fights.

Ok, but why did he even fight in UFC, everyone wants that belt, he has 5 UFC wins in a row, and then goes to Bellator. He would earn much more by being UFC champion.

Everyone wants that belt because it is the most prestigious in MMA, and it is the most prestigious in MMA because the UFC has consistently accumulated the majority of the top talent from around the world. But the more the new UFC favors "money fights" and paper championships over sensible rankings that seek to determine who the best is, (Bisping has been champ for 14 months and defended once, against a fringe-top 10 guy, and is now attempting to fight a 4-year retired WW) the less prestigious the belt is. Is Bisping the best MW in the world? Is he even one of the 5 best MWs in the world? So why should Mousasi care about the belt if the new UFC clearly doesn't.

The Mousasi fight was nothing special. He was just gassed and trying to get Moose disqualified which backfired.

I don't know, considering the amount of time hes been in the UFC, I'd say he has taken substantial damage compared to other fighters of similar tenure.

ZMeJSgV.gif

And he's 38. Nobody is clamoring for Bisping to retire.

Sherdog gets shit in their head without really thinking it through.

It was a lot of damage in such a short amount of time and him getting dropped by a WW isn't exactly a good sign.
Mark Hunt was KO'ed by a WW and no one is saying he has taken too much damage when he has probably taken like 1000x the damage Weidman has.

Back