Weidman: I'm not fighting a superhero

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
There was the face kick which came out of nowhere and knocked out Vitor Belfort. The classic Bruce Lee “one-inch punch” which finished Forrest Griffin and sent him running from the arena. The pinpoint knee to the chest which vanquished Chael Sonnen in the blink of an eye.

When you fight UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, the physical game plan is only half the battle. The other half is the battle with Silva’s Superman aura. The challenge of taking on the longest-reigning champion in UFC history – with his extensive highlight reel of finishes and improbable comeback victories – is just as important. Many of Silva’s opponents lost the mental battle before they even stepped into the Octagon.

“You have to treat him like just another opponent,” Weidman told Yahoo! Sports. “You respect what he’s done in this sport. Of course you do. But you can’t get caught up in it."

“Guess what? He’s a person just like I am, he’s got two arms, two legs, two eyes, like I do. I’m not fighting a superhero, I’m fighting another person, and it’s my job to defeat him. Simple as that.”

“I can’t change anyone’s mind,” Weidman said. “And that’s not my job, anyway. I feel like I have the right mix of skills, the desire, the determination, to get the job done. The UFC thinks enough of me to give me the title shot. To those who might think I don’t deserve this yet, all I can say is, tune in on July 6 and I’ll show you otherwise.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--chris-weidman-anderson-silva-superhero-233910764.html

I wish Weidman didn't talk so much cause I wouldn't mind it if he won then.

You're upset because he doesn't think Anderson's a superhero?

Or that he's talking in general? Because that's what fighters do when they have an upcoming fight.

I agree, Silva is amazing and has done great things, but he's been beat before, and can be beat again.

He doesn't say anything remotely disrespectful.

Would you prefer he bows and talks about the respect and humility of martial arts and then humiliates himself and his opponent over 5 rounds of mockery? Twice? And then talks about respect again? Yeah, that's pure class.

Or that he's talking in general? Because that's what fighters do when they have an upcoming fight.

Nah, I'm not upset. It's just that he was crying about the shot and whatnot. If he just kept silent and cool and then won, I'd actually be happy. I'd be like Buster Douglas beating Tyson.

This guy talks too much when people interview him and ask him to talk

Anderson fans:
"Who is this Chris Weidman? Why should Anderson fight someone with no hype"

*Chris Hypes the fight*

Anderson fans:
"WILL THIS GUY SHUT UP ALREADY!?!"

The more he talks the more I want to see Silva crush him, which just tells me he's doing a hell of a job to sell the fight, kudos to him.

Looks like he's trying to convince himself that he's not going to get his ass kicked in every interview he does.

I don't care for Anderson or Weidman, but the more he talks the more I hope Silva wrecks Chris.

"I'm sorry, I'm going to beat Anderson Silva. Anderson is going to lose. I'm going to wreck your super fights".

Yes, that is a stupid thing to say.

He pays no respect like "We'll see how this fight goes. I've done everything I can to be prepared and Anderson always brings it".

He already had the title shot before saying these ridiculous things so he doesn't need to troll it up.

Back