Weed and anxiety

It either makes feel like I'm going to fall asleep standing up or that I just found out that I have a final exam the next day that I didn't study for...in a course I didn't even know I was enrolled in.

I believe the latter. I personally think marijuana increases my anxiety as well, but maybe it’d be worse if I stopped smoking. Either way, not gonna stop and find out.

It either makes feel like I'm going to fall asleep standing up or that I just found out that I have a final exam the next day that I didn't study for...in a course I didn't even know I was enrolled in.

12 years out of college and I get a recurring dream of this to this day.

Weed kicks my anxiety into high gear no matter the strain. Among the issues is I do not like being so disconnected from what's going on around me. But it is great for putting me to sleep. If I didnt have a kid I'd keep some at the house for that.

12 years out of college and I get a recurring dream of this to this day.

Weed kicks my anxiety into high gear no matter the strain. Among the issues is I do not like being so disconnected from what's going on around me. But it is great for putting me to sleep. If I didnt have a kid I'd keep some at the house for that.

Hate that dream.

I used to get nice bouts of paranoia from weed. You just have to remember that it's just the weed and that's not the cops at the door, it's the pizza you ordered. Wait, is the pizza guy listening to my thoughts?

<{fry}>

I vape in very small dosages to help with my migraines. I enjoy being high but not totally blown out. People need to be grounded when they smoke, you have to know your going to be getting high and just go with it. People sometimes make it worse and start freaking themselves out, no shit you feel different, your high. It really is a mental thing.

The available evidence doesn't really support it at this point. There are plenty of things that have proven efficacy for treating anxiety. Not sure why you would choose a non evidence based option, unless you just are looking for an excuse to get high.

With weed being legal in a few states and it gonna be legal in Canada next year I keep seeing stories on the news and social media about how weed helps people with their anxiety among other things. I rarely smoke weed but I used to a lot when I was younger and I remember it made me anxious and paranoid. It did not relax me/make me more calm etc. So when people talk about weed helping them with their anxiety do they mean if they are feeling anxious or nervous about an event and they smoke a little weed that decreases their feelings of anxiety over said event, or do they mean that when they smoke weed on a regular basis their overall anxiety in their day to day life decreases?
the two MAIN strains offer very different effects/therapies. and of course there are myriad hybrids available now as well.
Sativa is much more mind oriented, with all the pros and cons that come with that emphasis in your high
Indica is much more a body effect strain. Relaxation, ease of sleeping and the dreaded 'couch lock' are all part of it.
choose your poison.

I smoked heavy for the last couple years of high school and throughout college. Never got paranoid at all. Then all of sudden I was paranoid as fuck every time I got even a little high. I think the more responsibility I had, the harder it was to keep my mind from racing.

In my experience it's much more likely you'll have those issues if you have underlying psychological problems.

That’s what I would think as well, just like any drug like LSD, shrooms, etc. If you’re not right upstairs

6DE251EE-40E1-4443-845D-B065E87BAC20.jpeg

Last edited:
With weed being legal in a few states and it gonna be legal in Canada next year I keep seeing stories on the news and social media about how weed helps people with their anxiety among other things. I rarely smoke weed but I used to a lot when I was younger and I remember it made me anxious and paranoid. It did not relax me/make me more calm etc. So when people talk about weed helping them with their anxiety do they mean if they are feeling anxious or nervous about an event and they smoke a little weed that decreases their feelings of anxiety over said event, or do they mean that when they smoke weed on a regular basis their overall anxiety in their day to day life decreases?

I think it helps relive anxiety up to a certain dose at which point it sends you over a cliff of dread. Be sure to stop before you get to the edge

I prefer indica over sativa.

I started getting anxiety in my 20s while smoking but now I can control it.

I've had two major panic attacks in my life and haven't since 2009.

With weed its off and on.. Much less likely on indica.

I never understood how can weed ease and treat anxiety or depression, it only makes my anxiety worse lately wasn't the case before I'm confused and don't enjoy smoking weed anymore but yet miss it.

Exactly so how it suppose to treat such things.

A lot of people don't realize the different strains have vastly different effects. If someone has a "bad trip", I can guarantee you they were on a sativa and are ill suited for it.

That’s what I would think as well, just like any drug like LSD, shrooms, etc. If you’re not right upstairs

View attachment 311133

For that very reason I don't touch any hallucinogens. People with mental illness often have some dark stuff buried down in their subconscious.

Hallucinogens just take away all of your subconscious coping mechanisms that stop that shit from bubbling to the surface.

I literally never had problems with anxiety my entire life and I smoked a lot, but about a year ago I had to quit to get clean for a job. When I stopped smoking I started having anxiety problems really bad all of the sudden, probably because I got laid off and was worried about paying bills and getting clean to pass the drug test.

After I got my new job I found out about half the people here smoke, and they never test after the initial test, so I tried sparking up again with my roommate who smokes all day long and when I did it make me constantly anxious. I couldn't even enjoy the high because I was so worried about my elevated heart rate and worried that was going to trigger an anxiety attack.

I stopped again and I haven't had problems with my anxiety in the last 3 months, I'm considering giving it one last shot to see if it affects me poorly again but I don't want to risk it at the same time. I guess it hits people differently, sucks because I enjoyed smoking, I've turned in to a borderline alcoholic since I quit and that's not healthy.

it depends on the strain and dosage

also giving it some time to lapse and let the effects mellow out

the two MAIN strains offer very different effects/therapies. and of course there are myriad hybrids available now as well.
Sativa is much more mind oriented, with all the pros and cons that come with that emphasis in your high
Indica is much more a body effect strain. Relaxation, ease of sleeping and the dreaded 'couch lock' are all part of it.
choose your poison.
Nothing beats a nice Sativa in the morning.

My usual routine on my days off from work involves waking up around 10ish and eat a nice ripe mango I cut up the night before that is in the fridge. After that I'll get dressed, take my portable vape and go for my morning bike, go to the convenience store pick up a caffeinated beverage (Almost always a bottle of Monster rehab lemonade), ride to the local nature preserve and sit at this secluded spot I've been going to for a few years now, drink my drink, toke up, get on my bike and ride back home and enjoy the rest of the day. Also eating a ripe mango about 30 minutes to an hour before you toke up potentiates the high which makes it both stronger and last longer

For me its usually Sativa strains during the day and Indica at night. Also paranoia isn't bad and really only ever crops up if I'm doing edibles and that is rare now. When I first began smoking I would get paranoid easily

I'm pretty sure that weed was one of the reasons I got panic disorder.

Fortunately I'm ok now but I've been through hell. I haven't smoked in years, I prefer beer now.

Different people have different reactions, but the strain you're smoking makes a big difference too. In general sativa strains have a higher chance of triggering paranoia or anxiety, so if you struggle with that already then an indica strain might be better for you. If you have dispensaries in your area, they list the thc % and type of strain on everything they sell, so it makes it easier to find what works for you.
Im the complete opposite, indica makes me paranoid and lazy, Sativa I can smoke and sometimes forget Ive even smoked and function as a nirmal person

For that very reason I don't touch any hallucinogens. People with mental illness often have some dark stuff buried down in their subconscious.

Hallucinogens just take away all of your subconscious coping mechanisms that stop that shit from bubbling to the surface.
I wont take hallucinogens anymore as I worried Iwont come back from it, kind of the last straw that broke the camels back

Back