Wearing mouthguard and cup for jiu jitsu?

Wear what ever you want.

I only wear a cup and a mouthguard when I'm training for competitions, and I used to wear headgear when I cared about my ears getting big and gross. Then I stopped being concerned.

Wear what ever you want.

I only wear a cup and a mouthguard when I'm training for competitions, and I used to wear headgear when I cared about my ears getting big and gross. Then I stopped being concerned.

You wore a cup when training for competitions? MMA? I'm just curious b/c they're not allowed in BJJ competitions.

I wear a mouthguard, but no cup b/c (a) can't compete in them and (b) if I were to get in a situation in real life where I needed to armbar someone, I don't want to be dependent on the use of the cup. I would rack myself all the time on joint locks when I first stopped using the cup.

I do headgear when my ears are swollen, but not all the time.

Some competitions allow them... NAGA, for instance, does.

But if that cup is not in perfect alignment with your junk while you armbar, prepare for pain.

Even worse is an up the middle guard pass when your cup is not aligned properly. Had me in tears the other day. :icon_cry2

I was the only one who wore headgear at my gym for a while, and i always wear a mouthpiece, but no cup....everyone is different, do what you are comfortable with

Wear both. Custom mouthguard is so much nicer than the boil/bite ones for me.

didnt wear a cup until yesterday, hit my sack hard with my opponents knee in open guard while trying to pass.

im shopping online now

didnt wear a cup until yesterday, hit my sack hard with my opponents knee in open guard while trying to pass.

im shopping online now

No pun intended, but sounds like you learned the hard way. :redface::icon_chee

I always have a cup and a mouthguard, and so does everyon else in my class of no gi.

I wear both always. I can't imagine rolling without a cup, and in fact, I'm not sure I would do a tournament where they are illegal. I would much rather tap because some guy is driving his cup into my back than get my own nuts smashed. I can see how that stuff might matter to serious people, but I just compete for fun and I would rather be able to keep my junk safe, even if it means someone might use a cup to their advantage. I've seen so many people get hit in the nuts during training that it almost seems suicidal not to wear a cup.

Just for the record, I hate drilling armbars with people who wear a cup. That shit is so annoying, and fucking hurts the back of your arm.

It's interesting though. If you're an MMA guy, you're fighting with a cup on, so why wouldn't you use one in training?

I wear both. Most guys at my gym didnt.
All the higher belt guys wore mouthguards. As for cups Im not sure.

But after one time when a guy tried to pass my guard to half guard and went on to apply his full body weight on my crouch and grind past it with his knee.
Fuck that.

Cup ever since. Never has gotten in the way, once.

Only during rolling I wear a mouth guard and ear guard. They have prevented my teeth from damage over the years and my ears from getting worse. I won't roll wihout them. I smash guards by pushing with my head alot. Ear guard saved me from getting cosmetic damage big time.

Mouth guard is a must. Cup and headgear are not

I’ve chipped two teeth.

Wear a mouthguard.

i wear a mouthguard becuase iv noticed the knee to the chin maybe once a month but thats enough for me

Bah.. I get a knee or something to the face ever single session heh.. New gym so mostly whitebelts. Need to get a new mounth guard.

I usually just wear a cup during sparring involving strikes. I Always wear a mouth piece, usually even during the technique/drilling portion. Accidents happen and it's better to play it safe.

IMO if you're rolling without a mouthpiece you need to rethink that. Really good way to lose some teeth, or take a chunk out of your cheek or tongue.

Back