Wearing mouthguard and cup for jiu jitsu?

Definitely a fan of both, but GOOD GOD does it hurt when your training partner has a steel cup on and pulls your face down for a triangle and you get a forehead full of metal.

I wear both. I've caught plenty of knees to the junk (cup) when someone tries a knee slide pass. I don't usually wear a mouthguard for technique, but wear one when rolling. I've been knee'd in the face in a scramble and even donkey kicked in the mouth. I couldn't tell you how the hell that one happened though.

I am amazed. I have been grappling consistently for almost a decade and my nuts have never felt in danger.

Oh, and you guys saying you like cups because they make your subs better need to learn to do Jiu Jitsu without weapons.

i used to wear a mouthguard all the time because i got my tooth chipped within like the first month of starting jiu jitsu. then i stopped wearing it for like a month and at the last tournament i did i got hit in the mouth and my tooth went through my lip so ill probably be wearing it all the time again. ive never worn a cup though.

Last week I got hit in the mouth sideways with an elbow in BJJ. I'm glad I had my mouth guard!

cups arent allowed at my gym. I have had my septum broken by someone with a cup when working a deep half to back transition...

I wear my mouthguard religiously.

I wear a mouth guard. I've eaten some pretty good elbows and knees to my head, accidentally mind you, that encourage me to keep using it.

I started off with no cup. Then started using one. But it really was chafing me badly, and it wasn't comfortable, and it sucks when one presses into your back. So I stopped, and its been fine.

I've never worn head gear, and I wont unless I need to prevent some cauliflower ear.

As for the mouth guard, I have literally chipped every tooth in the front part of my mouth, yet I still am not smart enough to wear one regularly. I don't like the way it constricts my breathing. I'll use it for takedown sessions, but for the most part, they are annoying.

I know this is an old post but I am thankful for it; as a guy pretty new to BJJ this has made me decide to buy a mouthguard.

I am amazed. I have been grappling consistently for almost a decade and my nuts have never felt in danger.

Oh, and you guys saying you like cups because they make your subs better need to learn to do Jiu Jitsu without weapons.

The only time my nuts are in danger is when I or my opponent manage a sloppy ass take down where somehow a knee ends up in the groin region upon landing. Doesn't happen too often though, thankfully. But yes, subs with cup assist are beastly.

Personal preference. You're entitled to wear it if you like. Nobody can reasonably criticize you for protecting your jewels.

don't get how you guys are getting your junk smashed all the time, I've never worn a cup and never been seriously hit in the nuts

don't get how you guys are getting your junk smashed all the time, I've never worn a cup and never been seriously hit in the nuts

I've never taken a real shot to the pills either, though I know folks who have and can't fault them for covering up.

I've never work a mouthguard before, though I'm thinking about it. I don't wear a cup because I can't find one big enough.

I wear cups in tournaments, not at all in training, never mouthpiece.

I remember demonstrating an arm bar on a girl in college, and in the process she got a good idea of what my gear felt like. Ive considered wearing a cup ever since, only because I was worried it was inappropriate not too?

You should definitely wear a cup while rolling. Mouth piece...maybe, maybe not

In my gym, they require cups and mouthguards. Even if they didn't require it, I'd still use them.

I personally don't find half guard "comfortable" unless I have a cup.

Back