Wearing mouthguard and cup for jiu jitsu?

B

Bawwws Nuggahh

I noticed how nobody in my jiu jitsu class wears mouthguards or headgear (I dont wear headgear but I have a mouthguard) and I was rolling with someone once and he told me no one in the class wears cups (except me) He said it just wasnt necessary and it often gets in the way and drives into peoples backs when I take their back.

I am just being unnecessarily cautious by wearing this protection? Is there some unwritten law in jiu jitsu classes about not wearing this because I havent been doing jiu jitsu for very long.

Thanks

Nope, lots of guys I know wear cups, I do myself. I don't know that many that wear mouthguards, but it's not a bad idea to wear one. You're not being overly cautious, you're probably doing the right thing, don't sweat it.

Wear as much or little protective gear as you want. It's definitely a matter of personal preference.

i wear a cup in jiu jitsu, not amouth guard, but a few do in my class

I didn't wear a cup to BJJ until I took an accidental knee to the fellas... wasn't fun.

I also even use a mouthguard for rolling because I don't want to accidentally bite into my tongue or damage my teeth.

their not necessary all the time, but then again what safety gear is?
once u get hit in the nuts really good or get ur jaw cranked on good or something ull embrace the mouthguard and cup.
besides if u want to do MMA u should wear them bc they make u wear them when u fight, so u should get used to the way they feel

I wear the gear that protects what I'm afraid of having messed up; my knees.

I wear good knee pads to keep my knees from imploding.

I don't wear a mouth guard or cup, but I don't fault those that do.

I wear a cup all the time, just cuz I got tired of gettin my boys smashed thru incidental contact. I mean.. any sport where one of the primary positions for the other guy is right between your legs is a sport that's asking for some sort of protection for your junk.

Also... when someone it working a pass in Gi training and they're "walking" their hands up your pants to open your guard up, there's gonna be some pressure.

Just be nice about it and don't jab it into people's back when you've got back control and don't use it as a weapon for armbars. Some people dig it in below the elbow and that just grinds ligaments between bone and plastic (or steel, in some cases). In fact, some tournaments won't allow them for just this reason.

As to the mouthguard... I don't wear it all the time, but there are times that come up when I wish I had it in. It doesn't hurt to have it and it might save a chipped tooth or bitten lip/tongue.

their not necessary all the time, but then again what safety gear is?
once u get hit in the nuts really good or get ur jaw cranked on good or something ull embrace the mouthguard and cup.
besides if u want to do MMA u should wear them bc they make u wear them when u fight, so u should get used to the way they feel

it has to do moe with my teeth ripping the inside of my mouth when crossfaced more than anything.

I think a mouthguard is the most important piece of safety gear for grappling. The shots you take to the teeth have the most potential for serious damage.

The cup is more a matter of personal preference. In my experience, you don't take too many serious shots to the groin in grappling. I know that I have taken a lot more bad ones to the face, which is why I wear a mouthguard but not a cup.

I don't wear either, but at least a moutguard isn't a bad idea, at least when your grappling from a standing position, it's easy to catch a knee to the face when shooting in for takedowns ect. That said, I've never experienced any trouble so far rolling without one. Same goes for a cup. It's so rearly a problem, I just don't bother wearing one.

But do what you feel comfortable with. There's no harm in being a little cautious. No one wants to end up hurt

I seriously encourage you to wear a mouthguard, it would suck to lose teeth or get my jaw broken. Plus, a mouthguard improves your cardio.

I don't wear a cup. I have been hit really hard in the groin, but it's so seldom that it's not worth the discomfort of wearing a cup. I recently looked into having a mouthguard molded for me by the dentist. It was $225, which is pricey, but so is dental work if you get cracked in the mouth. I have a shock doctor that's been sitting in my bag; it makes me gag, so I don't wear it.

I don't wear a cup. I have been hit really hard in the groin, but it's so seldom that it's not worth the discomfort of wearing a cup. I recently looked into having a mouthguard molded for me by the dentist. It was $225, which is pricey, but so is dental work if you get cracked in the mouth. I have a shock doctor that's been sitting in my bag; it makes me gag, so I don't wear it.

You can have a custom mouthguard made for you by several companies for much less than $225. It should be just as good of a quality as what your dentist would provide you, if not better.

You can check the Gear and Equipment forum here for some specific suggestions.

I wear a $5 Everlast mouthguard. Been wearing it for 2+ years and have had no issues whatsover.

No cup. Haven't had a need for it. But I do wear headgear to protect the ears and its been worth every penny I spent.

i wear a mouthguard becuase iv noticed the knee to the chin maybe once a month but thats enough for me

I wear a mouthguard and cup. Do whatever is most comfortable for you.

I don't where a cup and haven't for a few years. I always just found it uncomfortable and without it I feel more mobile. I also haven't consistently worn a mouthpiece for a year or two. I think its a bad habit though as I have already lost my two front teeth before (non-grappling related injury) and would not like to repeat the experience. Even a cheap mouthpiece can save lots of money in dental bills.

Back