Wearing another association's patch...

I only have two gis with patches. A random one that I train in, and the one I wear in competition.
Competion:
50/50 patch (my team in the US)
Checkmat (my team in Brazil)
Connection Rio (sponsor)
Ricardo Vieira (my instructor when in Brazil)
Michelle Nicolini (for support/appreciation, lived with her for 6 months)
Bruno Frazatto (for support/appreciation, have spent a great deal of time training under him)

I'm not taking the time to cut the Checkmat and RV patches off, and then have them resewn every time I go back and train specifically there. My current IBJJF registration says Fifty/50 BJJ. The other gi with patches has a Michelle Nicolini and Ricardo Vieira patch, because I had extras, so I had them stuck on an extra gi.

What about one for your instructor when in the US?

I'm a part of Ribeiro/Lovato NW, very proud of my lineage.

There is a big difference between wearing an amount of flair that you choose for yourself because you feel like it, and being told how much flair to wear by a sniveling black belt narcissist.

Why pretend you have a team if your association is so weak, all you can hold it together with are patches?
Let's be honest. Its a form of advertisement.

But you're over simplifying it. The association is definitely not weak and the patch is a symbolic. What holds the team together is the camaraderie and sense of belonging. But Jiu Jitsu is Jiu Jitsu. Maybe its because of the two decades I spent in the Military that doesn't see the problem with conforming to the organization's norms. I developed great friendships in this association and am proud to wear their banner. May not be your thing, which I respect, but different doesn't mean wrong...

There is a big difference between wearing an amount of flair that you choose for yourself because you feel like it, and being told how much flair to wear by a sniveling black belt narcissist.

You're being overly harsh. Part of joining a team is conforming to their norms. BJJ isn't conscription. Is your sense of individuality so fragile that wearing a uniform would permanently erase your identity?

lluk3- That patch doesn't exist. The closest that does is the academy patch already on my gi, unless you count that the gi itself is my instructor's "pro model" from Shoyoroll.

You're being overly harsh. Part of joining a team is conforming to their norms. BJJ isn't conscription. Is your sense of individuality so fragile that wearing a uniform would permanently erase your identity?

I'm happy to wear a uniform if I'm being paid. I'll wear a uniform to flip burgers or draw blood. If I joined the military, I'd line up according to rank and wear a uniform.

Fuck, if I were playing a team game I'd wear a uniform.

if I were playing a team game I'd wear a uniform.

It is a team sport though.

When you were in school, did anyone ever ask you to join the wrestling team? There's a reason they called it a team even though you compete one on one. The team practices together, has the same coaching staff, competes for team points in tournaments, and wears a uniform.

It's the USA Judo Team for the same reason. Think it might be weird if you were training with the USA Judo Team and wearing a patch for France?

I guess you could argue that those are the sport aspects, and perhaps you only like the martial art aspect which is not competitive so there is no concept of a team. Fair enough, but the "game" part is totally team based in BJJ by any normal definition.

I don't think I would wear a school patch I didn't train under. I am not sure what the point would be. I actually don't have any of my current school patches on my gis now. I just never felt like dealing with buying a patch and paying someone to put it on.

Who is going to get some type of beer sponsor patch, now that would be good for some lulz. Wear it to the Vegas open and wear some over-sized sunglasses on the podium, holding a margarita.

Back