We need to come to terms with brain damage

Big man fan tells other fans to get to grips with other people getting brain damage for the fans enjoyment. Right...

how about the guys that hold pads? do you think they get less brain damage or the same ammount of brain damage? nobody talks about the pad holders

As a retired competitive kickboxer and a neuroscientist, I agree because I know there is more to full-contact sports than just a pro and con list of health outcomes. I, myself, will probably never enter a ring again because I don't have the desire to do so, because of the health effects and how important I deem them to be.

Fighting, professionally, as an amateur, in the streets, one against one or in a group against another group, is often a very cathartic experience. As long as there are clearly defined agreed upon boundaries, I would never want to deprive another person of the experience or the freedom of partaking in a fair fight., even if there is a change of brain damage or even death.
You're a neuroscientist? Interesting. I'm writing my bachelors on mTBI and doing an intervention for PCS patients, focusing on the ANS. We're including background and theory about the patophysiology and biomarkers in the brain after concussion.

What's your preferred field of study?

Btw, I've fought too as a boxer and suffer from long term PCS so that adds to it.

how about the guys that hold pads? do you think they get less brain damage or the same ammount of brain damage? nobody talks about the pad holders
I hear ya. I barely spar anymore, but I hate holding pads for a few dudes in my mma class. Thai pads or focus mitts. One guys a heavyweight. Ones just real heavy handed/footed. I can feel my whole fucking body shake violently after each hit. Man. I will probably just stick with bjj as I age. Ive had numerous concussions thru my taekwondo days from ages 14-30 when I trained in it and did a lot of competitions. Worry about my future as far as memory. Scary shit.

I'll tell you what will be a problem is when these guys are well into 40s[if not sooner] are narcotics and I'm talking legally from a doctor.I hope they educate themselves or have people around them on being familiar on how devastating it can be on their lives

I think you’ve got the CTE.

I hear ya. I barely spar anymore, but I hate holding pads for a few dudes in my mma class. Thai pads or focus mitts. One guys a heavyweight. Ones just real heavy handed/footed. I can feel my whole fucking body shake violently after each hit. Man. I will probably just stick with bjj as I age. Ive had numerous concussions thru my taekwondo days from ages 14-30 when I trained in it and did a lot of competitions. Worry about my future as far as memory. Scary shit.
I bet that guy got kind of concussed right there lol and nobody is fighting for his paycheck

I think you’ve got the CTE.
That's besides the point- I already have but point I'm trying to make as in reference to you is esoteric ... so when you find yourself a bit more educated, I can sit down anf and try to learn you on some things but you don't come across as the brightest....... aw- don't concern yourself with it.
Have a good day.

That's besides the point- I already have but point I'm trying to make as in reference to you is esoteric ... so when you find yourself a bit more educated, I can sit down anf and try to learn you on some things but you don't come across as the brightest....... aw- don't concern yourself with it.
Have a good day.

Ok dude, I have a PhD.

“I already have but point” hey you forgot the THE.

“and try to learn you” hey dude you Tom Sawyer? That’s some hillbilly folksy you be gibberating.

“and I'm talking legally from a doctor.” Ah, well I’m bar admitted as well as a doctor of law and you am talking legally gibberish. PS the last part was me imitating your gibberish.

Now fuck off and learn you English.

It's an issue because people get paid, sponsored and put on TV to make money from it. Nobody cares how many concussions amateurs or people fighting in the street are getting. Shit I doubt Muay Thai fighters get mandatory suspensions when they're ko'd. Why? Because they're not on FOX sports earning potential millions from people paying to watch them get they're skills crushed.

Ok dude, I have a PhD.

“I already have but point” hey you forgot the THE.

“and try to learn you” hey dude you Tom Sawyer? That’s some hillbilly folksy you be gibberating.

“and I'm talking legally from a doctor.” Ah, well I’m bar admitted as well as a doctor of law and you am talking legally gibberish. PS the last part was me imitating your gibberish.

Now fuck off and learn you English.
This is a fight forum " Mr. Phd" ...my main goal in life isn't to come on here make sure my verbiage/punctuation isn't on point to your liking
Also mr.phd, I learn you on just about anything about this side of the sport.
I'm not going to tell you to fuck off cause obviously I'm dealing with a child or someone so immature , its pretty sad.
If you don't know what I'm talking about from my initial post- Mr phd-lol- then you have my pity .
Don't bother retorting- I don't have time for a dummy....and you own a phd-- lol

Play the game, accept the risks. Just like any Extreme Sport, the long term payback usually sucks.

The dangers of brain damage are overstated. Most fighters don't end up with brain damage.

This is a fight forum " Mr. Phd" ...my main goal in life isn't to come on here make sure my verbiage/punctuation isn't on point to your liking
Also mr.phd, I learn you on just about anything about this side of the sport.
I'm not going to tell you to fuck off cause obviously I'm dealing with a child or someone so immature , its pretty sad.
If you don't know what I'm talking about from my initial post- Mr phd-lol- then you have my pity .
Don't bother retorting- I don't have time for a dummy....and you own a phd-- lol

You need to learn-good talking-mister dummy—! Fucking Russian troll bots learn good talking plus plus Better - mister make sure pity . , .

BTW I wasn’t previously shitting on your verbiage (choice of words as opposed to writing gibberish) or punctuation (proper usage of punctuation marks as opposed to WRITING GIBBERISH).

just because some activity or sport is inherently dangerous, it does not follow that reasonable precautions shouldn't be in place, while still letting people make their own decisions about participating.

I don't give a single fuck. the fighters know what they sign up for

These guys chose to get punched in the head for a living. They're going to get brain damage.

Some are going be slurping through straws or trembling in wheelchairs like Muhammad Ali. Many more are going to have substance abuse problems, faulty memories, slurred speech, and be prone to aggression/ domestic abuse/ etc. Many more fighters than that are going to have some minor speech problems and memory problems that they can mostly hide from people and they won't talk about it. I believe that this will also happen to guys that just train casually and never even fight.

It's just going to happen. We can't let do-gooders set in place regulations like "taking a year off every time you get KOd" or making guys wear headgear. That might make a difference in the NFL but these guys get punched in the head every day. It will also ruin careers and for nothing. Half the roster will have a career only 5 fights long.

Brain damage and lots of it is just something that's going to happen when you get punched in the head.

They know the consequences and they chose to compete despite them.

They are warriors and they are willing to sacrifice their future health for current glory- God bless them and they deserve or respect.

You're a neuroscientist? Interesting. I'm writing my bachelors on mTBI and doing an intervention for PCS patients, focusing on the ANS. We're including background and theory about the patophysiology and biomarkers in the brain after concussion.

What's your preferred field of study?

Btw, I've fought too as a boxer and suffer from long term PCS so that adds to it.
I'm mostly interested in motor afflictions and using my background to improve treatment options. I wrote my bachelor thesis on the effects of TMS on a sequence learning task where people learned to type new sequences with their non-dominant hand.

For my master thesis, I interned at both my uni and a rehab center and wrote an experimental protocol for a study in which we tested the efficacy of a easy-to-use hand orthosis for stroke patients that they could use in both their therapy sessions and at home. We used all kinds of physiological tests, MRI and fMRI to track their improvements and were mostly interested in the neuroplasticity that the use of the orthosis could potentially cause.

Right now, I work in a hospital where we're looking for a better way of predicting the progression of Parkinson's disease in those afflicted by it.

Your topic sounds really interesting. I've never looked into PCS professionally but have read about it because of my own kickboxing background. I'm happy that I didn't develop PCS myself, because tgat really doesn't sound fun. What are your symptoms, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Soldiers are going to get PTSD, and limbs blown off. They choose to enlist in the Army. Why do we give a shit about cage fighters getting CTE again?

Back