We need to come to terms with brain damage

We need to do our best to advance our understanding of neurology with respect to combat sports so free human beings have the best information possible to navigate their own lives as free men.

Get better information so fighters and potential fighters can gauge the costs vs. benefits and various tradeoffs in the most accurate way possible.

They signed up for CAGE FIGHTING.

If they wanted to join chess club they wouldn't have gotten CTE, they chose to take a high risk/high reward career where high school dropouts could become millionaire, well there are risks involved.

Oh good, of course, I know I always seek guidance of anatomy and medical practice from barely literate manchildren on MMA forums. So glad we could all gather to discuss how best to approach brain injuries in athletes. Good times.

Anyone fighting today knows the risks. Let them bang bro

If they wanted to join chess club they wouldn't have gotten CTE, they chose to take a high risk/high reward career where high school dropouts could become millionaire, well there are risks involved.

The same could be said about NFL. Yet they changed the rules. I can see MMA looking like Olympic Boxing in the future. Brain trauma is becoming unacceptable in our society. Whether it is consensual or not.

The same could be said about NFL. Yet they changed the rules. I can see MMA looking like Olympic Boxing in the future. Brain trauma is becoming unacceptable in our society. Whether it is consensual or not.
the NFL is different because they did studies and then tried to bury the results. They were afraid of getting sued.

We can't let do-gooders set in place regulations like "taking a year off every time you get KOd"
That has always been a rule. 60 or 90 to 180 day suspension following knockouts, and I think fighters should take as much time off as needed. The brain needs a little time to recover before you go back out there to fight again.

You keep saying "brain damage is going to happen anyways.." but taking time off to recover following a KO is a way to reduce or prevent further damage from happening.

Wrestling is the only way. Ben Askren didnt take a single strike in his last 3 fights.

Every man is responsible for his own destiny. Chan believed this, why cant you?

ffaa98b01ba9ad1075763b74b3a11ff8.jpg
Raiden-Laughs-Then-Gets-Serious-In-Mortal-Kombat-Movie-Gif.gif

I think they prefer "Human cockfighting"

I think it's a threat to the long-term future of the sport. Like the NFL, there will be litigation down the road on the liability for fighters' health as some will inevitably suffer from serious brain ailments later in life. It's a fine line between voluntary assumption of risk and profiting off of your employees sustaining brain damage as part of the job.
I think this is the exact reason why when mark hunt talked about suffering early symptoms the UFC had that knee jerk reaction of pulling him from the card and requiring him to go through testing in order to return. It's a liability for them and there will be a legal battle down the road. My thing is, if you fully inform these guys of what will happen...fine. But don't leave them in the dark. And people assuming every fighter already knows this, I'm not so sure about that.

There’s risks in any profession

Ppl doing night shifts or those constantly changing shifts are told that they’ll probably have shorter life span than somebody doing regular 9/5 job

Also consider there are sports like hockey, football, boxing, rugby where concussion do happen n ppl still do them regardless.

All this cte n brain issues stuff is mostly likely blown outta proportion anyways.

Is it bad getting hit in the head over n over? Sure. Is every single fighter gonna be punch drunk for the rest of their life? There’s probably some genetic factors in play as well

Brain trauma is becoming unacceptable in our society. Whether it is consensual or not.

The only thing "our society" likes more than regulating the fun out of life is money, which is currently the primary factor in nearly all decisions.

MMA and violence can not be separated, MMA and brain damage cannot be separated.

It won't be regulated out of existence as long as there are permits to be paid, taxes to be collected and money to be made.

Back