Sambo thread!

Anyone else see the Sambo episode of Human Weapon? The training stuff like besketbrawl, the other stuff, where I can more info on them?

For Basketbrawl or whatever the heck it is called you will need a "swedish wall" very common in Russian gyms, not so much here. The only American supplier is Wrestling Training Wall | Suples.com the basketball hoop is on a metal rack that hooks onto the wall kinda like an over the door hook but bigger. That I have not been able to find. G'luck and lemme know if you find it.

For some reason i forgot about these videos i uploaded.
They are the highlights of a Combat Sambo tournament held in Kstovo (Sambo-land).
Originally they had some nu-metal music, but YouTube killed it, so i re-upped them with something more fitting.... Tchaikovsky's Swan lake!

YouTube - Combat Sambo Highlight

And this other one:

YouTube - Combat Sambo Highlight

This is a great thread! I have always been very curious about Sambo.
A lot of great info in here and I have not gone through all of it yet, but I think it deserves to be stuck as well.

The videos above are great. Combat Sambo seems to be very similar to MMA when you look at the competitions. I knew of sport Sambo but my idea of Combat Sambo was the military stuff and more self-defense oriented since I saw parts of an Igor Yakimov Combat Sambo instructional over at a friend's and he had camouflage army uniform and was showing mainly self-defense stuff, some of which looked quite flashy and your run of the mill self-defense stuff. But it seems Combat Sambo is something totally different looking at those videos. Besides the protective gear what are the other main differences in rules between MMA and Combat Sambo? I even saw knees on the ground in the videos. It seems they also have the ippon from Judo and points for pins and probably ground time limits but it looks very close to MMA and seems like a great base for somebody coming into MMA. You should see more Sambo guys in MMA.
Great thread!

Anyone else see the Sambo episode of Human Weapon? The training stuff like besketbrawl, the other stuff, where I can more info on them?

Basketbrawl is a combination of basketball, football, sambo, judo and wrestling. It is used as the warmup at many clubs throughout Russia including my friend Igor Kurinnoy's school "Borec". It is very intense and fun, it typically lasts anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour--then you proceed to the real workout:icon_chee.

It definitely looks like a lot of fun!

The more I get to know about Sambo the more I like it.

sorry if this was already posted, I looked and didn't see it.

O SNAP, that guy is SICK! great video.

damn sambo is badass....

I wish it were more popular in the states.

I have to say, it really is like the ultimate grappling sport, and I've never even done it. I've done f/s, greco, gi bjj, nogi, judo... but Sambo seems like the most complete.

Sambo is starting to make a name for its self here in the United States. You guys who are interested will see a spread in the next few years.

By the way, Igor Kurinnoy is coming to my Sambo club in Seattle, Washington. here is a link for him: Igor Kurinnoy - Merited Master of Sports

The American Sambo Association is proud to announce that it is hosting Igor Kurrinoy for clinics in the USA.
A partial list of Igor's accomplishments are:
-A three time World Sambo Champion.
-A Five Time Sambo World Cup Champion.
-A Silver Medalist in the Sumo World Championships.
-An International Judo Champion.
-Owner and Director of the Borec Sports Club in Moscow, Russia.
-A graduate of the world famous Sambo-70 Sports Club.
-The author/creator of the Sambo for Professionals Series.

Dates and locations are:

July, 23-25, 2010. Seattle, Washington

Sea-Town Sambo/Seattle Jujutsu
1314 NE 56th St.
Seattle, Washington
mobile:206.713.9745

-July 30 - Aug 1 , 2010. Bettendorf, Iowa

Champions Training Center/Miletich Fighting Systems
325 16th St.
Bettendorf, IA 52722
mobile:563.343.3508

Cost: $100 for weekend, $75 per day.

Hotel: Laquinta Inn
3330 E. Kimberly Road
Davenport, IA 52807
Block of rooms available at $62.00 per night plus tax (under Sambo Clinic).
Breakfast included. Hotel is 2.17 miles away from Champions Training Center.

Visit Igor's website http://www.kurinnoy.borec.ru

How is sambo organized in Russia? is there a pro-league?

do you go several matches in one comp?

Is it like MMA that any styles are allowed to partake?

Rado,

Listen to this episode of Cage Radio...it will answer many of your questions regarding combat sambo and MMA...and other sambo talk as well. You will also see that I predicted Fedor's retirement...LOL.

Listen to SAMBO experts on Cage Radio - Mid Atlantic MMA, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Boxing - #1 in Mid Atlantic MMA News

Thanks. That was very educative. I also did some research and for what I could find it seems there isn't any formality in Combat Sambo (or should we call it Sport Combat Sambo) techniques and it's basically Karate strikes with Sport Sambo (grappling).

Thanks for the link.

man sambo is sick. I wish there were sambo schools in miami, south florida area.

Back