We need a judo thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, there are exponentially more Judoka around the world that BJJ practicioners. But the ratio of practicioners-to-competitors, I think, favors the BJJers. Many have joined the BJJ ranks as a means to entry into MMA and the subgrappling world. Many enter Judo as kids looking for a fun TMA, or as adults looking for a fun, effective form of exercise and self defense.

BJJ clubs also have a more proportionate lean to compete and enter MMA. Therefore the training focus...

Hey do you guys have any good pictures of a good judo stance? i am having trouble with how to hold my arms, and beating guys to grips. thanks

Hey do you guys have any good pictures of a good judo stance? i am having trouble with how to hold my arms, and beating guys to grips. thanks

there isn't one perfect fits all stance, and you shouldn't be rigid, it is just something that comes with more randori

YouTube - Judo Grip Fighting Secrets
just a little tip but I posted it because you see the different "hand stance" and approach, Rhadi is more open, Jimmy holds his hands more like a boxing guard, both are valid, no suprise I am more of a Rhadi guy

more Jimmy stuff
YouTube - Grip Fighting Jimmy Pedro's Grip Like A World Champion
see the small circular movements and taking their hands/arms across their centre of their body (so they lose strength, that is money right there

Just curious, how much sparring do you guys do during class (randori and newaza)? Do you guys go hard with take downs or only go hard in drills onto crash mats?

never been apart of a club that does much if any crash pad work

tachiwaza- everything from none to 45 minutes (3 minute rounds, one minute rest)

the club that did least tachiwaza did the most newaza, practically you rolled one time with each, just 2 or 3 minutes but we had 15 people tops

the club with most tachiwaza, only 2 or 3 rolls newaza, kinda as part of warm ups

So it sounds like thats a lot of sparring.

I asked because the judo class that I'm thinking about joining is structured like this (keep in mind I've only sat in on one class, perhaps they mix it up)

30 min warmup/conditioning drills
30 min Tachi Waza (20 mins tech and drills/10 mins sparring)
30 min newaza (20 mins tech and drills/10 mins sparring)

I thought the sparring time was kind of low. Its the only option I have for a judo class, so I guess I'll have to use open mat during bjj to get extra sparring time.

"Going Hard" in Tachi Waza randori has a lot more to do with how much muscle you use to get the throw off than how hard the throw hits. A lot of the biggest hits come in the more technical randori where we try to go at about 60%-80% speed and strength but strive to be technically perfect, especially with footsweeps. (gravity is gravity... except at 5th dan and above where you are given magical powers that make gravity your bitch) A lot of that comes down to not going crazy trying to turn out of throws and avoid ippon, just accepting it and doing a good Ukemi. This makes the throw look and sound a lot more powerful, but a lot less painful. It also stops Tori from having to come driving down to the floor with you to prevent the turn out, so you avoid the pleasant experience of a full-grown man doing a swan dive onto your solar plexus. Turn outs (twisting to avoid ippon mid-throw) is actually where a lot of the injuries occur since you aren't actually breakfalling so you don't really do it much outside of competition prep.

Crash pads are for kids and noobs. That's not a slight against them, they just haven't learned their Ukemi well enough yet. I'm more comfortable taking a full-speed throw on the mats than a pad now, and most people get to that point around green belt or so.

Platfox, do the higher grades have a different practice or an additional randori session? Many times if the club has enough time and/or space the lower grades will spend a lot more time on drills and technical work and the brown/black blets will focus more on randori.

Thanks for the input. I've practiced a little bit of judo. We sometimes have a judo instructor lead our bjj classes and work throws and sweeps. I'm not sure if i'm all the way comfortable yet sparring hard and getting thrown at full speed. I'm just starting judo to supplement my bjj (i doubt i'll compete in judo comps), so i'm guessing even if I don't go hard or spar for 45 mins a day I should still be ahead of the bjj curve.

Platfox, do the higher grades have a different practice or an additional randori session? Many times if the club has enough time and/or space the lower grades will spend a lot more time on drills and technical work and the brown/black blets will focus more on randori.

As far as I know, they don't split the class up. The class that I watched didn't have a lot of adults though. There were 4 instructors, a couple of adult blue belts, a few whitebelts. The rest of the class were kids. I'm joining with 3 of my bjj classmates (all of us are blue or purple). Maybe since that'll double the adult population :icon_chee, they'll try something like that.

"Going Hard" in Tachi Waza randori has a lot more to do with how much muscle you use to get the throw off than how hard the throw hits. A lot of the biggest hits come in the more technical randori where we try to go at about 60%-80% speed and strength but strive to be technically perfect, especially with footsweeps. (gravity is gravity... except at 5th dan and above where you are given magical powers that make gravity your bitch) A lot of that comes down to not going crazy trying to turn out of throws and avoid ippon, just accepting it and doing a good Ukemi. This makes the throw look and sound a lot more powerful, but a lot less painful. It also stops Tori from having to come driving down to the floor with you to prevent the turn out, so you avoid the pleasant experience of a full-grown man doing a swan dive onto your solar plexus. Turn outs (twisting to avoid ippon mid-throw) is actually where a lot of the injuries occur since you aren't actually breakfalling so you don't really do it much outside of competition prep.

Crash pads are for kids and noobs. That's not a slight against them, they just haven't learned their Ukemi well enough yet. I'm more comfortable taking a full-speed throw on the mats than a pad now, and most people get to that point around green belt or so.

With kids it matters little thou I have found, they can be thrown and thrown, even if the don't have ukemi down they are so limber and light that it doesn't really matter.

Greetings. Looking for input from judokas who have gone through a shoulder separation. I'm back in bjj and doing ok, but nervous about going back to judo. Those that suffered it, how was your return to tachi?

Greetings. Looking for input from judokas who have gone through a shoulder separation. I'm back in bjj and doing ok, but nervous about going back to judo. Those that suffered it, how was your return to tachi?

You mean dislocated?

I did that in another sport in my teens and am actually surprised that it hasn't come back to haunt me as shoulder injuries are quite common amongst judokas

Should be "easy" to build up supporting musculature around the shoulder no? and the ladies love it

You mean dislocated?

I did that in another sport in my teens and am actually surprised that it hasn't come back to haunt me as shoulder injuries are quite common amongst judokas

Should be "easy" to build up supporting musculature around the shoulder no? and the ladies love it

No sir, separated. Worse, most of the time. Dislocated is your arm that will be dislodged from the socket. Separated, is your shoulder blade that separates from your collarbone. I've got the strengthening and stabilizing (rehab) down, but was looking for live cases of how people felt falling down following such an injury.

You might try asking over in Judoforum.com, there are simply going to be a LOT more Judoka's there (especially older ones) to ask.

Cool.. Yeah. I sorta' usually stay away from the judo forum.. But this question isn't really controversial.. Unless they get on me for not practicing judo the way it's supposed to be practiced.. J/K

Cool.. Yeah. I sorta' usually stay away from the judo forum.. But this question isn't really controversial.. Unless they get on me for not practicing judo the way it's supposed to be practiced.. J/K

You would be surprised, everything is controversial there.

No sir, separated. Worse, most of the time. Dislocated is your arm that will be dislodged from the socket. Separated, is your shoulder blade that separates from your collarbone. I've got the strengthening and stabilizing (rehab) down, but was looking for live cases of how people felt falling down following such an injury.

Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back