We got the Rail Gun baby.

Cant you achieve the same with a regular battleship? whats so special about the railgun?

People have already chimed in with some good responses, but I just wanna piggyback on @GhostZ06 in saying that matured railgun technology has the potential to legitimately weaponize smaller and smaller ships. The Littoral Combat Ship that we've been hearing all the failure news about is to accomodate this railgun. For practical application, imagine sneaking a single automated ship behind enemy lines and having the destructive power of a Destroyer lobbing Tomahawks. You could strike a target, get the hell out of dodge, and be in the wind before anyone can respond. Even if you get caught, demo the ship and call it a collateral loss without loss of human life. It really does change the game as far as force multiplication goes.

People have already chimed in with some good responses, but I just wanna piggyback on @GhostZ06 in saying that matured railgun technology has the potential to legitimately weaponize smaller and smaller ships. The Littoral Combat Ship that we've been hearing all the failure news about is to accomodate this railgun. For practical application, imagine sneaking a single automated ship behind enemy lines and having the destructive power of a Destroyer lobbing Tomahawks. You could strike a target, get the hell out of dodge, and be in the wind before anyone can respond. Even if you get caught, demo the ship and call it a collateral loss without loss of human life. It really does change the game as far as force multiplication goes.

Well this only Generation 1 rail gun technology the future of railgun tech is pretty large.

i mean hell you could use a mass driver to launch spacecraft into orbit which would also dramatically drop the cost of launching ships into space.

You can miniaturize this all you want, you will still need electricity to power that thing, so no matter how much technology matures you will still need a big ass power supply and a big ass transformer to power that shit.

Aw brother, i'm just a nerd with a targeted interest haha.

Another benefit that most people don't consider is eventually not having ordinance on the ship, makes things far less explosive if they do get hit. Add that in to everything you mentioned, and definitely makes it a worthwhile pursuit.

Batteries don't react well to fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_railgun

?

cancled back in the 90s, however for space weapons this would be a good idea.

To my understanding, the heat from the projectile accelerating through the air in the barrel ionizes the nitrogen in the air and it escapes as a plasma trail. The projectile is solid, it's just the trail behind the projectile that's plasma. You can see it as that flash before the plume in the video.

To my understanding, the heat from the projectile accelerating through the air in the barrel ionizes the nitrogen in the air and it escapes as a plasma trail. The projectile is solid, it's just the trail behind the projectile that's plasma. You can see it as that flash before the plume in the video.

heh good eye, they want to shrink these things down to a lot smaller size. i imagine that process has started already

You can miniaturize this all you want, you will still need electricity to power that thing, so no matter how much technology matures you will still need a big ass power supply and a big ass transformer to power that shit.

most ships have the power supply to handle the guns. Especially if they are nuclear powered, the Zumwalt has a huge power plant so it wont have to worry

Well i mean ideally we're working on that as well. By the time we come across a material strong enough to hold up to actual test cases, we hopefully will have ironed out all the kinks in powering it. This is really early in the process, we're not really quite to the point of using it in the wild yet.

But you're right, as of right now, powering it is a total beast. I think the Zumwalt class ships are the only ones suited for it atm.

Aw brother, i'm just a nerd with a targeted interest haha.

Another benefit that most people don't consider is eventually not having ordinance on the ship, makes things far less explosive if they do get hit. Add that in to everything you mentioned, and definitely makes it a worthwhile pursuit.

Yeah, should lower the amount of cells of VLS on the ship.
-You may still need some SMs for Anti-BMD, but it(Rail Gun) can still make ships a lot cheaper and safer

most ships have the power supply to handle the guns. Especially if they are nuclear powered, the Zumwalt has a huge power plant so it wont have to worry

How important are the guns of a ship nowadays? i would assume the amount of missiles a ship can carry would render guns obsolete...

Unless they are preparing for an era of advanced anti-ballistic countermeasures. I wonder if such an era would make a battle-ship viable again.

'Murica bitches! I'm gonna eat my Big Mac, paint my trailer, and fuck my sister. 'Murica hoes!
We actually have the "grand mac" now because the big mac wasn't ridiculous enough.
Mac.png

How important are the guns of a ship nowadays? i would assume the amount of missiles a ship can carry would render guns obsolete...

Unless they are preparing for an era of advanced anti-ballistic countermeasures. I wonder if such an era would make a battle-ship viable again.

They're extremely important for Ship defense and anti air. Gives ships more lethality

and also the rise of hyper-sonic weapons we will need new way to counter those threats, also its laird defense. You wouldn't ride on a ship with only one weapon system would you?

Funny how the cutting edge military technology guys produce videos with title sequences that are as ugly as ones from department store employee training videos from the 90s.

They're extremely important for Ship defense and anti air. Gives ships more lethality

and also the rise of hyper-sonic weapons we will need new way to counter those threats, also its laird defense. You wouldn't ride on a ship with only one weapon system would you?

Well, maybe in a few decades, i just dont see the railgun being anything else than a big, unwieldly bombarment cannon for a long time.

Well i mean ideally we're working on that as well. By the time we come across a material strong enough to hold up to actual test cases, we hopefully will have ironed out all the kinks in powering it. This is really early in the process, we're not really quite to the point of using it in the wild yet.

But you're right, as of right now, powering it is a total beast. I think the Zumwalt class ships are the only ones suited for it atm.

Yeahhhh and the newer verisons of the Arleigh Burke class can handle them, they do have a smaller one to replace the 54 Mark 45 Mod 2

Well, maybe in a few decades, i just dont see the railgun being anything else than a big, unwieldly bombarment cannon for a long time.

well with hyper sonic weapons on the rise you still will need a gun to counter those threats also remember ammo will be a a lot cheaper. Your average gun wont be able to stop something flying at 5000mph, but like said in those few decades rail gun technology will probably evolve as well

I would have never guessed woke ass :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: @Falsedawn was a military hardware geek ayy lmao

Well then you'll be downright shocked to learn that i'm 100% in favor of the second amendment, I just want people to shoot responsibly. If we had a licensing system, but we got suppressors and fully automatic guns, i'd be happier than a pig in shit. Texas taught me right.

Well then you'll be downright shocked to learn that i'm 100% in favor of the second amendment, I just want people to shoot responsibly. If we had a licensing system, but we got suppressors and fully automatic guns, i'd be happier than a pig in shit. Texas taught me right.

Aren't you afraid Der Fuhrer Trumpov is gunna use rail guns to mow down brothas and LGBTBBQs or some chit like that?

Back