We all know where the money is for fighters. . . .

actjac

Down goes Frazuh...down goes Frazuh
@purple
Reaction score
Have there been any UFC fighters who could have stepped up to an elite level of boxing and made milti-million dollar checks . . . I can think of Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr. about 10 years ago and of course McGregor talked his way into a Mayweather payday but anyone else? (please don't mention the Diaz' or Junior dos Santos they would be B level boxers at best )

Silva vs. RJ?

I mean I guess the fight could have happened.

Have there been any UFC fighters who could have stepped up to an elite level of boxing and made milti-million dollar checks . . . I can think of Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr. about 10 years ago and of course McGregor talked his way into a Mayweather payday but anyone else? (please don't mention the Diaz' or Junior dos Santos they would be B level boxers at best )

Silva would have lost badly to Jones Jr. And by 2008 he was washed up.

I don't know why we feel the need to fuse boxing with MMA. They are different sports. Each should be appreciated but not compared.

I don't know why we feel the need to fuse boxing with MMA. They are different sports. Each should be appreciated but not compared.

I agree. one is a top level sport fought by elite and uber intelligent athletes. The other is a sport fought by mongoloids that fuses multiple types of combat because they're too stupid to master one.

People say they are different sports but there are far more similarities than differences. . . .even the same state commissions, scoring systems and judges not to mention that the greater percentage of the time during the bouts are stand up and striking.. . . .The lead jab is the most frequently used tool in both.. . . .Its only recently that MMA fighters have figured out that its important to move your head and protect your chin.

If your spending time learning wrestling, jiu jitsu and kicking your not going to have enough time to become a high level boxer.

People say they are different sports but there are far more similarities than differences. . . .even the same state commissions, scoring systems and judges not to mention that the greater percentage of the time during the bouts are stand up and striking.. . . .The lead jab is the most frequently used tool in both.. . . .Its only recently that MMA fighters have figured out that its important to move your head and protect your chin.

That is a poor argument. We use the same commissions, scoring systems and judging because MMA needed to be sanctioned and the easiest way to achieve this was the hang on boxing's coat tails. You might be well served to study the history of MMA, particularly after the early Zuffa era. But there is no reason to compare the fighters. No boxer would would have any success in MMA without years of training, just ask James Toney.

As for the lead jab...clearly you have never boxed or never competed in MMA.

MMA fighters have always known it was important to move their heads and protect their chins. But without big gloves and with the danger of kicks and knees there is enormous risk in moving your head too much. Peek-A-Boo or bobbing and weaving in the boxing model will get your head kicked off. Same for protecting your chin, much harder to do with 4 once gloves and when you have master so many disciplines.

Silva vs. RJ?

I mean I guess the fight could have happened.
Roy would've slept The Spider. If he wouldn't have been compelled to carry him. What is it with these guys that want to "do it for the fan enjoyment"? I'd like to see an MMA guy take on Canelo, cause you know he wouldn't care about all that...

Ronda Rousey
l8ccigF.gif

I agree. one is a top level sport fought by elite and uber intelligent athletes. The other is a sport fought by mongoloids that fuses multiple types of combat because they're too stupid to master one.

I couldn't disagree more. MMA fighters are highly skilled and deserve our respect. As do boxers. I enjoy both sports and their great athletes.

tenor.gif

I always thought Cain Velasquez had some decent fistwork...
But yeah but they are still only scratching the surface because boxers know they must use other/more tools to be effective standing/punching, just as much as an MMA'er knows they have the whole body and takedowns they must use to be effective. They'll never reach the level of worldclass boxers. but with that saying there are a couple like Stipe (who did train a lot of boxing before comig to the UFC) that if trained exclusively could be more interesting than Connor was.

That is a poor argument. We use the same commissions, scoring systems and judging because MMA needed to be sanctioned and the easiest way to achieve this was the hang on boxing's coat tails. You might be well served to study the history of MMA, particularly after the early Zuffa era. But there is no reason to compare the fighters. No boxer would would have any success in MMA without years of training, just ask James Toney.

As for the lead jab...clearly you have never boxed or never competed in MMA.

MMA fighters have always known it was important to move their heads and protect their chins. But without big gloves and with the danger of kicks and knees there is enormous risk in moving your head too much. Peek-A-Boo or bobbing and weaving in the boxing model will get your head kicked off. Same for protecting your chin, much harder to do with 4 once gloves and when you have master so many disciplines.
James Toney is a bad example. he fought one of the greatest takedown artists let alone ATG MMA'er after what 3 months of getting ready? His only chance was clocking Randy on his way in and wasn't stupid, he went for the heel from damn near 10 feet out!
I can counter your Toney example with Ray Mercer, who put a former UFC champ out cold in 20 secs.
To become a contender, I think it would take a pro boxer less time to get really good if they committed and fought 5-6 MMA fights versus how long it might take an MMA'er to reach contender status.

Back