WBC May Order Interim-Title Fight Due To Keith Thurman's Injury - Porter vs Garcia?

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The World Boxing Council is looking at the possibility of opening the door to order an WBC interim-title fight in the welterweight division, after world champion Keith Thurman announced that he underwent elbow surgery that will keep him on the sidelines until the end of the year. Thurman had surgery on his right elbow, which boxer says is going to take at least six months of recovery time.

Thurman, who already held the WBA title, defeated Danny Garcia on March 4 by unanimous decision to add the WBC title to his waist. A few weeks later, he traveled back to New York to have surgery to remove calcium deposits in his right elbow. The surgery was performed on April 19. “One thing for sure, the doctor doesn’t want me to rush back into action,’’ Thurman said. “You can’t jump back into the race too soon. It might start to feel good after a month or two, but you don’t want to rush it. My right elbow’s job is to launch punches like a missile.

It might feel good, but it might not be able to sustain that. It might cause inflammation to develop, and then you have to wait to let it calm down and feel better. I figure a 4-month recovery will be quick. The doctor recommended 6 months of no action, before training. I won’t rush it.’’ - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-orde...h-thurman-injury--116899#sthash.z030PrLn.dpuf

Interesting if it happens. It would probably be a good fight.

I actually want to see this.
winner gets their rematch with Thurman

I'm not sure why an interim title is needed when he last fought in March and will be ready to go again by the end of the year.

What am I thinking, more titles = more money. Everyone should be an interim champ.

Wouldn't mind seeing this fight actually.

Not interested in another Thurman-Porter fight.

Why not.? Sounds like a logical move to make. This is how boxing should be. Would like to see Garcia fight another live body relatively soon. Hoping for a Porter win. Puts the winner right back in the top where they belong.
2 tough durable guys. Based off their last fights I can see Porter mauling and imposing his will on Danny if the Ref lets him.
Plus hopefully Kenny destroys Angel all throughout the pre fight build up.
Angel may have a heart attack watching Porter headbutt, elbow , hold, and bulldoze his way to victory. Lol

I dont get it. If he was healthy and took until December to land a big fight they wouldnt do this?

The WBC covering all the angles here to get those sanctioning fees, actually I want to see this fight and if the lure of an interim title gets these two to lock horns then I'm all for it. As mentioned earlier the outcome is going to depend a lot on the ref.

Porter shouldn't have to win 2 eliminators to earn his rematch, but i guess it's a good idea if he wants more than 1 or 2 fights this year.

Porter shouldn't have to win 2 eliminators to earn his rematch, but i guess it's a good idea if he wants more than 1 or 2 fights this year.
I think he'll have a difficult time with Garcia.
Make or break for Garcia though. Can't see him regaining from back to back losses, especially with his controversial decisions from prior wins.
He'll suffer a major hit if he loses to Porter.

Anyone ever thought of how wild and sloppy a Porter-Bradley fight would be?

Porter should learn how to box before he gets another title shot. I appreciate that he goes all out with effort but if punches to the back of the head were counted he'd already be in the hall of fame.

One of my dream matches is Porter versus K9 Bundrage. That would spawn the ugliest sporting thing the world has ever seen.

I like this match-up. More interesting than either rematching Thurman right away. Thurman has also had a pretty tough schedule so he could use the time off.

Back