WBC May Create New Division, Split Heavyweight Class in Two

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
floyd-mayweather-wbc%20(5).jpg

The WBC is in the early stages of exploring the idea, but it's not the first time where someone brought up the idea of creating a super heavyweight division.

http://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-create-new-division-split-heavyweight-class-two--121150

201-230 and 231-?

Would that work?

Last edited:
there isnt enough talent as it is

this makes no sense at all

Cruiserweights bulking up to 225 pounds won't make them better fighters. If anything, it'll make the CW division even weaker.

What they need to do is to financially support the Amateur system better, support the gyms where the boys learn their craft, and lure them with better contracts so they view boxing as an alternative to Football and Basketball.

Just split cruiserweight up to 225lbs. call it super-cruiserweight.

there isnt enough talent as it is

this makes no sense at all

It makes tons of sense and I'm not sure how it would decrease the talent level. There's a huge gap between 200 lbs and the average HW. We're losing fighters at around 220 who can't make 200 but can't really compete with 250 lbers. This may even encourage more talent, not less.

It makes tons of sense and I'm not sure how it would decrease the talent level. There's a huge gap between 200 lbs and the average HW. We're losing fighters at around 220 who can't make 200 but can't really compete with 250 lbers. This may even encourage more talent, not less.

i call that tough shit

find another sport to play if you arent good enough in the one you tried

there have been a bunch of guys who were less than 200lbs gain weight and become heavyweight champions, and a fair few that also did extremely well:

Spinks
Holyfield
Moorer
Jones jr
Davide Haye
James Toney

None of the above relied on how 'big' they were, they were just good fighters

There are probably a lot more, these are just the ones i could think about off the top of my head

Spinks
Holyfield
Moorer
Jones jr
Davide Haye
James Toney

Those are also examples that speak FOR a division in between CW and HW. None of them could establish long term dominance because there was always a guy who was bigger...Holyfield couldn't get past Bowe, Moorer got knocked out by an old Foreman, Jones won the title against Ruiz and immediately left the division, Haye couldn't get past Klitschko and Toney got outboxed by Sam Peter in the end.

You can't expect from cruiserweight sized boxer to topple Anthony Joshua. The past 20 years point at dominance of super heavyweights.

I think another divison would be worth trying.

Hey I have a great idea, let's take a terrible division and........ wait for it you guys are gonna love this......... we'll split into TWO terrible divisions!

Wbc looking to make ppl pay more sanctioning fees, how surprising.

Never made any sense to me that with most divisions you can go up or down 5 pounds and it makes this huge difference in every factor of a fight and presents a whole new set of opponents and champions but for a heavyweight you can be 200 pounds fighting a 250 pound opponent and it's supposed to be fair somehow.

The only way to really fix it would be by adding a bunch of divisions just like the lower weight classes. That would make it as equal as can be but it would also ruin the entire sport for anyone above 200 pounds because there just are not enough fighters that big to fill out 5 more divisions.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing.

Those are also examples that speak FOR a division in between CW and HW. None of them could establish long term dominance because there was always a guy who was bigger...Holyfield couldn't get past Bowe, Moorer got knocked out by an old Foreman, Jones won the title against Ruiz and immediately left the division, Haye couldn't get past Klitschko and Toney got outboxed by Sam Peter in the end.

You can't expect from cruiserweight sized boxer to topple Anthony Joshua. The past 20 years point at dominance of super heavyweights.

I think another divison would be worth trying.

Holyfield fought many a big guy before he lost to Bowe, and also beat Bowe in a rematch.
Spinks the same(minus fighting Bowe)
Haye fought Valuev FFS
Toney fought and IMO beat Holyfield, Guinn, Rahman, Ruiz and a host of other fighters at Heavyweight, considering he was about 30lbs past his best weight, he didnt seem to struggle with fighters who were much larger than him

Tyson was a 220lb wrecking ball against much much larger fighters in his prime

I don't really care for people saying that a cruiserweight cannot beat Joshua, its because they are not good enough to step up in weight and challenge

Would a prime Evander Holyfield give Anthony Joshua trouble, fucking right he would

Holyfield fought many a big guy before he lost to Bowe, and also beat Bowe in a rematch.
Haye fought Valuev FFS
Toney fought and IMO beat Holyfield, Guinn, Rahman, Ruiz and a host of other fighters at Heavyweight, considering he was about 30lbs past his best weight, he didnt seem to struggle with fighters who were much larger than him

I don't really care for people saying that a cruiserweight cannot beat Joshua, its because they are not good enough to step up in weight and challenge

Would a prime Evander Holyfield give Anthony Joshua trouble, fucking right he would

Just because someone beats a guy 40 pounds heavier doesn't mean it was a fair fight.

Haye fought Valuev FFS

A prime Evander Holyfield wouldn't only trouble Joshua, he'd be a clear favourite to beat him. Even people talking about Bowe like he was some gargantuan HW need to remember that he was at his best in the mid 230s. Even if there was anywhere close to enough talent, I think we've repeatedly seen that there is no need for a HW and SHW divide. Is there a great HW in history who couldn't make 230 or even 225 pounds?

This is a terrible idea, and I can't even come up with a single logical reason why they would consider it. The point has already been made, but all the good heavyweights fall within like 25 pounds of each other. There are no great 280 pound heavyweights.

If they really cared about the size issue then you wouldn't want to create another division, the simplest and most logical solution would just be to up cruiser to 205 or 210. No new weight divisions, smaller hw's can fight at cw instead, if they want to. There's just this weird stigma when it comes to the cw division, like "oh you're a good fighter but you're a cw, gross." A lot of great fighters have been or are cw's, but hw is sexier, and apparently super hw is considered cooler than just leaving the class as is or just upping cw a few lbs and let talented fighters fight at their own weight. People are obsessed with hw's, I get it but I don't get it.

well there is absolutely no way this could go wrong

Back