WBA on track to eliminating duplicate World titles

Sakuraba7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Jan 01, 2017
http://www.boxingscene.com/wba-aims-continue-eliminating-titles-start-drug-testing-policy--112281

In 2016, the World Boxing Association began their plan of eliminating world titles. In several of the weight classes, there were as many as three WBA champions. For example, in the middleweight division Gennady Golovkin is the WBA's "super" champion, with Daniel Jacobs as the "regular" champion and Hassan N'dam as the WBA interim-champion.

The sanctioning body began ordering interim champions to fight regular champions, and in other weight classes they ordered regular champions to fight super champions. For example, Golovkin is fighting Jacobs, by order of the WBA, on March 18th at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Not everything went as planned, as the WBA's planned tournament to establish a single champion for their sanctioning body fell apart.

"I think we kept to our policy of reducing titles. The last interim champion crowned was Brian Castano but in the future this concept will be regulated and there should not be a period of more than six months without a single champion. Interim-belts will be replaced by elimination fights," Mendoza said to ESPN Deportes.

Jan 20, 2017
http://www.boxingscene.com/wba-president-gives-status-on-heavyweights-ped-testing-more--112843

World Boxing Association President Gilberto Jesus Mendoza held a conference with the Panamanian press on Friday morning, in which he maintained that his organization was dedicated to a policy of having a single WBA champion in each division.

"It is not easy to clean house, but we are doing everything possible. There was recently an interim-title approved for Argentine Brian Castano, but this was a long-standing agreement and it was my duty to comply. However, it's the last one we're going to do," Mendoza said.

In addition, he stressed that the super-champion at 130 pounds, Jezreel Corrales of Panama, will have to fight against America's Jason Sosa, who holds the regular title in the same division, as part of the WBA's plan to reduce the number of champions.

"We must remember that in 2016 Takashi Uchiyama and Javier Fortuna had to face each other as part of a resolution by the Championships Committee. However, they lost to Corrales and Sosa, so they inherited this commitment," said Mendoza.

Regarding the multiple champions in the heavyweight division, Mendoza explained the solution.

"In the heavyweights division we created a tournament that we could not finish last year because of the many inconveniences. For this reason I will clarify it here: Klitschko vs. Joshua is for the super championship, Briggs Vs Oquendo is for the regular title. The winner of the first match must go before Luis Ortiz and the winer of the second against Alexander Ustinov," Mendoza said.

meh they have spent years fuckin it up. I dont expect them to all the sudden get it right

meh they have spent years fuckin it up. I dont expect them to all the sudden get it right

They've already gotten rid of it in half (8) the divisions. Those divisions aren't going to get another regular/super champion, just one.

Hopefully they decide to eliminate all duplicates by end of 2018, the 10th anniversary of this shit show.

TBH I kinda like that there are so many titles because it emphasizes how meaningless they all are. If anything they should add more. Every division should have a super champion, gold champion, silver champion, and interim versions of all three titles.

Burn it all.

<{jackyeah}>

Back