Ways to get better at boxing range/inside the pocket?

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Kickboxing for a few months now. I can keep up with the guys now, but i want to excel with my boxing more. I have average reach and i mainly stay on the outside kicking. When i punch it's a 1 punch lead hook or jab followed by a kick. I always am scared to get hit/countered when i do a boxing combo like a 1,2,3. Any tips how i should adress this problem?

Find a training partner that you trust and then stand in close range with him/her - practise punching lighter at a close range and then up the intensity to the normal sparring level you'd have. You'll have to get sharper with your defence and quicker and tighter with your offense in order to keep it up.

Not a perfect solution but that's where I would begin. Just don't KO each other

What is the premise?

Find a training partner that you trust and then stand in close range with him/her - practise punching lighter at a close range and then up the intensity to the normal sparring level you'd have. You'll have to get sharper with your defence and quicker and tighter with your offense in order to keep it up.

Not a perfect solution but that's where I would begin. Just don't KO each other
this. Put a hoola hoop on the floor and each keep your front foot in there while you drill.

Go in and do some dirty boxing or start doing some boxing drills. Watch Tyson vids.

Partner drills are IMO the best way to begin learning to get comfortable exchanging in the pocket (2-4 shot combos, defend n return). Start light and work up the intensity gradually. Then you've just got to make the commitment in sparring to get in there and throw more than 1 shot, time and repetition is the only way you'll truly get comfortable.

Small steps are your friends. You don't want to be moving your feet too far because it makes it easy for your opponents to out position you, you think your taking an angle but you're actually giving it away. Also, even in kickboxing, you don't want to be standing tall in the pocket; bend your legs, it'll make you harder to hit and give you more leverage.

too easy to trip/stumble over a tire imo

I guess my first reply isn't exactly what I meant hah. I've actually only ever used a tire and have never tried a hula hoop. So I can't really say I prefer the tire.

But I will say if you start to trip/stumble over the tire it's because you're naturally trying to get out of range a bit rather than really stay in the pocket. That's just from my experience though, I'm no expert.

Partner drills are IMO the best way to begin learning to get comfortable exchanging in the pocket (2-4 shot combos, defend n return). Start light and work up the intensity gradually. Then you've just got to make the commitment in sparring to get in there and throw more than 1 shot, time and repetition is the only way you'll truly get comfortable.

Agreed.

my striking style depended a lot on movement on the outside, and was too quick to wrestling in tight

erik paulson had me put my back against the cage and have someone stand in close and throw 3-4 combinations on me to learn to stay composed under fire without circling out

then worked up to sparring in tight

theres no real way to learn without a partner throwing light

Back