Water retention after fasting?

iWinYouLose

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
So I went on a 5 day fast, because every night I was worn out, simply wasn't hungry and didn't feel like cooking after work and bicycling, and just went to sleep.

During this time I only drank tea and water.

Before the fast, I weighed 178 after sweating out a lot of water from a bike ride, and after eating my meal and drinking water, I'd go up to around 181 or so.

After the 5 days of fasting with nothing but water and tea, I weighed 174 with some water in my system.

I do intermittent fasting normally, and only eat one meal a day around 7pm.

Once I got back to eating dinner, I didn't gorge, over eat, cheat the diet, or eat more than 15 net carbs carbs (I'm on keto)

Here are my calorie counts over the past few days after the fast. I normally keep it at 1500 to 1800 calories per day, but I decided to eat 2000+ to replenish my body after the fast.

Then 1600 last night.

Over the past few days, after a meal and water I have been weighing 186.

If my basal metabolic rate is 2000 calories, I'd only be over base by around 1000 calories.

Even if my basal metabolic rate went to zero because of the fast, and my body didn't burn any of the calories I consumed over the past few days, I'd still have only gained 2.5 pounds of fat...

So I don't understand where all the extra weight is coming from?

Did you eat some salt during your fast, through vitamins or something? If you didn't, that 174lbs might have been very low, ie. you were a bit drained.
Still, 12lbs difference with only four "cheat" meals sounds quite high. Lots of salt in those meals? Might be some water retention indeed. After a fast (24hours in my case, also doing IF on regular days), I might gain 6-8 pounds (I weigh around 180), but not more.

I'm gonna guess the foods are pretty high in sodium, which might be the culprit, did you also happen to ingest an excessively high amount of fibre? We don't digest fibre so it stays in our system til we shit it out.

Back