Law Washington State Police Chief Vows Zero Enforcement of Newly Passed Gun Controls

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
Police Chief Loren Culp of Republic, Washington, says the gun controls in the newly passed Initiative 1639 will not be enforced in his county.
On September 25, 2018, Breitbart News reported that I-1639 would put in place enhanced background checks for the purchase of semiautomatic rifles, would place a ten-day wait on completion of a semiautomatic rifle sale, and would require purchasers to pass a gun safety course. The initiative also contained new gun storage laws for every type of firearm, including penalties for gun owners whose guns were stolen and used in crimes, among other things.

Chief Culp reacted to the passage of I-1639 by reminding Republic residents that the Second Amendment will reign supreme under his leadership:

"
I’ve talked with quite a few concerned citizens today so let me clear something up.

I’ve taken 3 public oaths, one in the US Army and Two as a police officer. All of them included upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States of America.

The second amendment says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As long as I am Chief of Police, no Republic Police Officer will infringe on a citizens right to keep and Bear Arms, PERIOD! - Chief Culp"

In an interview with KXLY, Culp added, “We took an oath to uphold and defend the constitution of the United States and the constitution of the State of Washington, and [I-1639] completely flies in the face of both the U.S. and state constitution.”

Culp said he believes I-1639 will “eventually … be overturned in the courts.” Until then, he made clear, the controls of the initiative will not be enforced in Republic, Washington.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...s-zero-enforcement-newly-passed-gun-controls/

oh_yes_creepy_loki.gif

Wonder how long the Chief Culp will remain in his position?

By the way, this was what was passed.

This measure would change state laws regarding firearms. Some of these changes would relate only to semiautomatic assault rifles, as defined. Other changes would apply to other types of firearms as well.

The initiative defines a “semiautomatic assault rifle” to mean:

any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

The initiative defines semiautomatic assault rifles not to include antique firearms, permanently inoperable firearms, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

This initiative would add new requirements for the purchase of a semiautomatic assault rifle. Buyers would be required to provide proof that they have completed a recognized firearm safety training program within the past five years. That training program must include instruction on:

• Basic firearms safety rules;
  • Firearms and children, including secure gun storage and talking to children about gun safety;
  • Firearms and suicide prevention;
  • Secure gun storage to prevent unauthorized access and use;
  • Safe handling of firearms; and
  • State and federal firearms laws, including prohibited firearms transfers.
This initiative would make it illegal for a person under 21 years of age to buy a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle. It would make it illegal for any person to sell or transfer a semiautomatic assault rifle to a person under age 21. The initiative would prohibit a person between the ages of 18 and 21 from possessing a semiautomatic assault rifle except in the person’s residence, fixed place of business, on real property under his or her control, or for other specified purposes.

The initiative would require a dealer to wait at least 10 days before delivering a semiautomatic assault rifle to a buyer. It would also prohibit anyone who is not a resident of Washington from buying a semiautomatic assault rifle in Washington.

The initiative would change some laws that currently apply only to pistols and apply them to both pistols and semiautomatic assault rifles. These include restrictions on delivery when a buyer has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest. This would also be true for situations in which certain charges or proceedings are pending. Background check and record keeping requirements that currently apply only to the purchase of pistols would also apply to the purchase of semiautomatic assault rifles. The same requirements for collecting and maintaining information on purchases of pistols would apply to purchases of semiautomatic assault rifles.

The initiative would require a new warning on application forms for the purchase of a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle. This new warning would read:

CAUTION: The presence of a firearm in the home has been associated with an increased risk of suicide, death during domestic violence incidents, and unintentional deaths to children and others.

The initiative would allow the state to impose a fee of up to $25 on each purchaser of a semiautomatic assault rifle. This fee would be used to offset certain costs of implementing the initiative. The fee would be adjusted for inflation.

The initiative would create new criminal offenses for the unsafe storage of a firearm if a person who cannot legally possess a firearm gets it and uses it in specified ways. These crimes would apply to a person who stores or leaves a firearm in a place where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a prohibited person may gain access to the firearm. Failure to securely store a firearm would only be a crime if certain other events happen. A person who fails to securely store a firearm would be guilty of a felony if a person who is legally ineligible to possess a firearm uses it to cause personal injury or death. A person who fails to securely store a firearm would be guilty of a gross misdemeanor if a person who is legally ineligible to possess a firearm discharges it, uses it in a way that shows intent to intimidate someone or that warrants alarm for the safety of others, or uses the firearm in the commission of a crime.

The initiative would not mandate how or where a firearm must be stored. But it would provide that the crimes regarding unsecure storage would sometimes not apply. Those crimes would not apply if the firearm was in secure gun storage, meaning a locked box, gun safe, or other locked storage space that is designed to prevent unauthorized use or discharge of a firearm. The crimes also would not apply if the firearm was secured with a trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm. The crimes would not apply if the person who gets the firearm is ineligible to possess it because of age but the access is with parental permission and under adult supervision. The crimes would not apply in cases of self-defense. Finally, the crimes would not apply if the person who is ineligible to possess a firearm obtains it through unlawful entry, if the unauthorized access or theft is reported to law enforcement within five days of the time the victim knew or should have known that the firearm had been taken.

The initiative would require every firearm dealer to offer to sell or give the purchaser or transferee of any firearm a secure gun storage device or trigger lock. It would also require every store, shop, or sales outlet where firearms are sold to post a warning sign advising buyers that they may face criminal prosecution if they store or leave an unsecured firearm where a person prohibited from possessing the firearm can get it. A similar written warning must be delivered to firearm buyers and transferees. Violation of these requirements would be a civil infraction.

Finally, the initiative would require the development of a cost-effective and efficient process to verify that people who have acquired pistols or semiautomatic assault rifles remain eligible to possess a firearm under state and federal law. This process would provide for notice to local chiefs of police and sheriffs to take steps to ensure that persons legally ineligible to possess firearms are not illegally in possession of firearms.

Last edited:
“a law repugnant to the Constitution is void, and courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument.”

Marbury vs. Madison

Quite typical of lawmakers they created regulations he cannot enforce. Good for him.

I think I will support someone who has spent their lives enforcing laws > someone who spent their lives creating them.

Republic just became even cooler.

Good I'm sure there are ways he can get around it.

Just like cops let you pour out beer or dump weed if they don't want to charge you.

Last edited:
Btw, I don't think this law stands up to court appeal.

We say you can't buy a gun until you are 18, because as a minor, you lack many legal rights and protections.

At 18, you are due all your constitutional rights, which include your 2nd amendment rights.

Unless you amend the US Constitution, you can't pass a law that limits someone's 2nd amendment rights based on age.

Stupid law. There are laws you can pass as "gun control", that will actually stand up in a court of law. Apparently Washington state Dems are more interested in grand standing, then actually passing a law that has a chance in hell of becoming actual law.

TIL cops decided what is and isn't Constitutional

How could this ever go wrong?

More like law makers passing laws that are clearly unconstitutional.

What could go wrong?

We actually have a way to deal with that. It's called the judicial branch.

Maybe you missed 6th grade but the way our system works the legislature passes laws, the courts interpret them and determine if they're Constitutional. The executive branch enforces them.

Seems like a better system than letting rogue cops ruling on what laws they agree with.

Or maybe not
pgreojP.jpg

damn im pretty right leaning in most regards but i have to shake my head at pro gun people who get all caught up in "my 2nd amendment rights and the constitution"...no ones taking away your guns here. Im pro 2nd amendment and i would be at front of line arguing if they tried to actually take guns away from the public. But here were just talking basic common sense laws that would require background checks, a waiting period of 10 days and responsible storage of said guns. What in the fuck is wrong with any of that? The only detail from article i dispute is being charged for a crime if your gun is stolen. I do think you should be charged for gross negligence of losing a weapon and not reporting it though.

damn im pretty right leaning in most regards but i have to shake my head at pro gun people who get all caught up in "my 2nd amendment rights and the constitution"...no ones taking away your guns here. Im pro 2nd amendment and i would be at front of line arguing if they tried to actually take guns away from the public. But here were just talking basic common sense laws that would require background checks, a waiting period of 10 days and responsible storage of said guns. What in the fuck is wrong with any of that? The only detail from article i dispute is being charged for a crime if your gun is stolen. I do think you should be charged for gross negligence of losing a weapon and not reporting it though.
It also gives the government access to your health records. That wasn't part of the ad though. Background checks were already in place. You have to go through a training course, paid for by you, in order to even be considered for purchase. It also raised the age to 21 for any semi automatic rifle.

It also gives the government access to your health records. That wasn't part of the ad though. Background checks were already in place. You have to go through a training course, paid for by you, in order to even be considered for purchase. It also raised the age to 21 for any semi automatic rifle.
would need more details on the health records part. i mean are they wanting to know what your cholesterol and blood pressure are or is the intent more about mental evaluations in which case if someone has a history of mental issues i 100% support taking that into consideration when allowing them to acquire fire arms. Training seems a very good thing that even gun owners should support 100%. I mean when you want a drivers license they dont just say "here you go", you have to prove through training that you are able to drive safely first. And 21 for semi auto seems reasonable although thats up for debate, certainly not a im gonnna fight the man for trying to bring me down type issue.

Unless you amend the US Constitution, you can't pass a law that limits someone's 2nd amendment rights based on age.

Or unless the courts uphold it, as seems to be the case with handguns where you've got to be 21.

Maybe you missed 6th grade but the way our system works the legislature passes laws, the courts interpret them and determine if they're Constitutional. The executive branch enforces them.

The system has different levels too. Local, state, & federal laws are enacted. Is somebody paying him to enforce state or local laws. As we know from sanctuary cities, states have no obligation to enforce federal law. How's it work between local and state? 6th grade was a long time ago for me. :(:D

If Chief Wiggum wants to be a conscientious objector over enforcement of a particular enacted law that is his prerogative and more power to him. But it also means he needs to step down as he is refusing to perform the duties that he swore to uphold.

But this guy really just wants to play God with the will of the people and the courts. And to that I say, "Fuck you, lawman."

You’re talking about a town of a little over 1000 people in the boonies.
Its noteworthy to me seeing this is a police chief making an official and public declaration regarding a refusal to enforce this new bit of legislation. The size of his township is immaterial to that in this context.

Back