Washington DC 16-17 year olds allowed to vote?

usmctanker242

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-olds-vote-president-2020-election/523301002/

Hey everybody,

So this popped up on Facebook and I thought it was going to be an Onion article but apparently it's 100% legitimate. How do people feel about letting kids vote? I can't imagine the right is going to support any of this and it's obviously a push from the left to try and negate the votes of the average working person. The left found out in 2016 that even with the media in a 100% full-on smear campaign of Trump they still couldn't win the election, so now they're resorting to lowering the age to get more votes.

I'm just curious how people feel about this in general... would you want your 16 year old kid voting in a presidential election?

If there at 16 years olds out there that give a shit about voting enough to go vote I say let them.

Most 16 year olds are fucking retarded and we should encourage the not retarded ones to do things.

Even if it were national I doubt it would change much in terms of the youth vote.

They don't give a shit.

Has a presidential election in DC ever been close?

I assumed no matter the age limit, it would be 80/20 DEMs vs. REPUBs

A family friend's son is that age and he's so retarded he thinks he's going to go to college on a football scholarship because he played football in high school for one season when he was a freshman..

In Germany, you can vote when you are 16 in some states and local elections.
But its a bit different from the US. Because most young people start their apprenticeship when they are 16 and are integrated into the workforce. And pay taxes.
In general, I have not heard many complaints about that. However, I would keep voting age at 18 when you are considered an adult.

Sure, let’s do it.
Border jumping illegals, high school kids, incarcerated felons, lets get ballots in all their hands.

What could go wrong?
<45>

16 year old would vote for the left because everybody knows people who are young, dumb and immature vote left.

Damn those cheating liberals! Trying to steal DC away from the republicans with this trickery lol

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-olds-vote-president-2020-election/523301002/

Hey everybody,

So this popped up on Facebook and I thought it was going to be an Onion article but apparently it's 100% legitimate. How do people feel about letting kids vote? I can't imagine the right is going to support any of this and it's obviously a push from the left to try and negate the votes of the average working person. The left found out in 2016 that even with the media in a 100% full-on smear campaign of Trump they still couldn't win the election, so now they're resorting to lowering the age to get more votes.

I'm just curious how people feel about this in general... would you want your 16 year old kid voting in a presidential election?
giphy.gif

We have enough uninformed citizens giving us their two cents. Too many actually.

There are very few 16 year olds out there that can comprehend the advantages and disadvantages of a particular candidate.. But then again, most adults just vote for the same party regardless.

If there at 16 years olds out there that give a shit about voting enough to go vote I say let them.

Most 16 year olds are fucking retarded and we should encourage the not retarded ones to do things.

Even if it were national I doubt it would change much in terms of the youth vote.

They don't give a shit.

A family friend's son is that age and he's so retarded he thinks he's going to go to college on a football scholarship because he played football in high school for one season when he was a freshman..

See, this is where your name fails. How is it RATIONAL to talk about how stupid and "retarded" these young kids are, but then put the power of the poll in their hands for no particular reason?

See, this is where your name fails. How is it RATIONAL to talk about how stupid and "retarded" these young kids are, but then put the power of the poll in their hands for no particular reason?

Because the vast majority of them if given the opportunity to vote still wouldn't vote so who cares.

Because the vast majority of them if given the opportunity to vote still wouldn't vote so who cares.

This is an assumption and I have no idea how true it is. If you look at colleges / universities they literally give out ID's on the spot and then bus people to the polls. I think it would be reasonable to deduce that high school students would do the same thing as well, and especially so if it was organized as a school function and voting got them out of class.

In Germany, you can vote when you are 16 in some states and local elections.
But its a bit different from the US. Because most young people start their apprenticeship when they are 16 and are integrated into the workforce. And pay taxes.
In general, I have not heard many complaints about that. However, I would keep voting age at 18 when you are considered an adult.

This is a very good post and you've brought up a very good distinction between the EU and USA. Here in America it seems like we're generally working to infantalize people until they are in their early 20's.

16 year old would vote for the left because everybody knows people who are young, dumb and immature vote left.

I am not sure about that. I voted first time when I was 16 local elections for the sort of district.
I voted for the conservatives. Because they have been in power already and by all means did a good job they used to get over 60%.
If 16-year olds cant distinguishes between conservative and liberal principle I would blame the school system really.

But to say young people are dumb and immature and that's why they are voting left is part of the problem.
They tend to be voting left because they agree more with that ideology.
You just like to call people stupid because it is beyond your bubble that people might view things differently.

This is an assumption and I have no idea how true it is. If you look at colleges / universities they literally give out ID's on the spot and then bus people to the polls. I think it would be reasonable to deduce that high school students would do the same thing as well, and especially so if it was organized as a school function and voting got them out of class.

Who cares, let kids get interested in things.

Most probably won't care though.

If your ideas are so strong you wouldn't worry about new voters.

You fear the weakness of your positions.

So are they lowering the age of buying guns to 16 too? Surely if they are responsible enough to vote they are responsible enough to own firearms. Right?

the age should be raised higher if anything

Back