Washing colored BJJ in Vinager for color fasting

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Chute Boxe SP, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Chute Boxe SP Dirk Diggler

Chute Boxe SP
    I know this subject has been brought up many times. In fact, I followed the instructions from a thread on this very site. I am just putting my experience out there for others to read.

Three months ago I bought a Koral Classic BJJ Gi in blue. I followed the the instructions (like I said, from this site) to soak it in vinegar and water before the first wash. It was said that it would hold in the blue color longer. I was skeptical but proceeded anyways.

I am not going to go ahead and call complete BS but I will tell you, after three months of use (2 sometimes 3 times a week, washed after EVERY use) the gi top is VERY faded.

I machine washed with cold water and minimal detergent and hang dry out of the sun (I live in the Third World, driers aren

2. cheesesteak Green Belt

cheesesteak
    I did the vinagar soak on my navy Tatami Estilo and it still faded to hell.

I'm going to try using Retayne on my next colored gi and see how it goes. It's worth a shot.

[​IMG]

3. Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

Ice 9 Cobra
    I use some of the color fastener from dharma trading on my gis, and they don't fade much.

It seems overall, the pre dyed gis use a cheap dye. Because when I dye my own gis, they stay crisp for life.

4. Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

Ice 9 Cobra
    Oh and vinegar is a myth, it's the wrong pH. Basic is needed to fasten chemical dyes on organic plant material, acidic works on protein fibers.

5. SnowMongoose Blue Belt

SnowMongoose
    All of my gis are colored, never done more 'prep' than washing and/or shrinking them before first use, have had no problems with fading.

6. Chute Boxe SP Dirk Diggler

Chute Boxe SP
    That