was your cell phone near the scene of a crime? police already know

ill make sure they get an eyeful of bbc pron

Unfortunately the privacy battle was lost many years ago

I'm all for checking a suspects phone records to prove either at the scene or his alibi checks out, the key difference here though is that they do not have a suspect. And they will blanket search any cell phone in the area and then turn that person into a potential suspect

I'm not comfortable that if I happen to be simply near where something went down, I can become a suspect and then have to prove that it wasn't actually me

4th amendment to me is clear that search warrants and the like need to be very specific so that a person is secure from unreasonable searches. This here, becomes a search on me for literally being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Again, I'm all for a specific search warrant to see where Jim Bob, suspected of murder, was at 11:08 PM when his girlfriend was killed. I don't like "See who all was within a few blocks of Mary Sue at that time and bring them in for questioning"
This is a strong argument, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. If an eye witness places someone in the vicinity of a crime, that person becomes a suspect (or so I understand). How does it work with security cam footage? Does showing up near a crime on camera in such a way that you can be identified make one a suspect in and of itself? I assume it's enough to pursue a warrant, but I don't actually know much about this.

Sifting cell phone movements through an area just feels like a variation on collecting eye witness statements to me.

Lol you sound bitter. Some of us knew in 2005 because of NSA whistleblowers.

Yeah, but the official documentation wasn't released until 2012 IIRC.

I am bitter, because I take my privacy seriously and most people don't seem to.

Yeah,big problem here...

There needs to be a specific suspect to search via warrant,not a let’s throw a net and see what we find..

That’d be like a murder happening in my neighborhood and the police searching every house on block for evidence...it don’t work that way

Google shouldn't even be doing this shit. It should be illegal for Google to record your every move.

Rookies!

You're gonna commit crimes dont do it with your cell on you. Burners are cheap..

I'm all for checking a suspects phone records to prove either at the scene or his alibi checks out, the key difference here though is that they do not have a suspect. And they will blanket search any cell phone in the area and then turn that person into a potential suspect

I'm not comfortable that if I happen to be simply near where something went down, I can become a suspect and then have to prove that it wasn't actually me

4th amendment to me is clear that search warrants and the like need to be very specific so that a person is secure from unreasonable searches. This here, becomes a search on me for literally being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Again, I'm all for a specific search warrant to see where Jim Bob, suspected of murder, was at 11:08 PM when his girlfriend was killed. I don't like "See who all was within a few blocks of Mary Sue at that time and bring them in for questioning"

I think it comes down to how specific an area we are talking about. I also don’t agree with checking all users within a few block radius, but if they narrowed it down to a specific address, or small and specific area, I don’t have an issue with it.

Is it really all that surprising, seeing as how much privacy we've willingly given away? Of course "they" know too much.

For example, I visited Toronto again recently, and Google Maps asked me if I wanted to download offline maps in anticipatation trip. Like, what the actual fuck? I mean I get it, WestJet sent my boarding pass via Gmail, which shared it with Google Calendar, which shared it with Google Maps, etc.

If someone's child goes missing I bet they'll just shrug their shoulders and say "can't help you that way", but if they want to use it against you that's ok - checking right now bro.

Totally incorrect. I've used cell phone pings to locate more missing juveniles and elderly than I can remember.

Back