Was watching PREDATOR the other day..

i only kid of course, but the predator is a very interesting alien/idea.

for one, it parallels the power disparity between hunter and prey and thus the movie can open up an in-depth discussion to the limits and ethics of hunty.

on the other end, it begs the question as to how such an advanced space-faring alien race that seems preoccupied with killing can have evolved. little is known. perhaps on their home planet, their are vegan/progressive predators with their own PETA campaigning against the predators we see in the movie lol
Hahaha like maybe the hunters are the hardline extremists for the old ways of the just bleed god,givin the rest a bad name!

Yes the reviews at the time pretty much say its just a well made action film. So many films like that in the 80s,and yes they were made better than today,but predator really stands out as one of the very best in the long run. A timeless classic.

Again I think you had a situation where straight sci fi cinema just wasn't having any money put into it in that era and instead a lot of the ideas/talent went into films that could be sold as action.

The idea of the "Reagan actioner" to me never made sense either, almost all of these films like Predator, the first two Robocops, Total Recall, Cameron's Terminator's, Aliens, Running Man, etc actually have a strong anti establishment bent to them. Ironically its during the Clinton era that I think action cinema lost its political edge and became full of rah rah nationalism and praise of the US establishment.

Again I think you had a situation where straight sci fi cinema just wasn't having any money put into it in that era and instead a lot of the ideas/talent went into films that could be sold as action.

The idea of the "Reagan actioner" to me never made sense either, almost all of these films like Predator, the first two Robocops, Total Recall, Cameron's Terminator's, Aliens, Running Man, etc actually have a strong anti establishment bent to them. Ironically its during the Clinton era that I think action cinema lost its political edge and became full of rah rah nationalism and praise of the US establishment.
Fuck indepence day!!!!!

The running man book is so much better than the movie...but no way that book ending could be done today.

Fuck indepence day!!!!!

Pretty much, I mean its not terrible cinema but far elss ambitious and arguebly the start of the US establishment being glorified, 80's films might have been full of US solider/cop heroes but they were almost always up against the establishment.

I actually think that's part of why Arnie worked, the foreign accent and slight goofiness made it easier to buy him as a man apart from the establishment.

I think predators was a step in the right direction....but the evil doctor was lame. The pred on pred violence was hokey.

What i hope to see is the predator become the heinous villain again. Hes gotta be so horrible that you want the hero to win. Enough of this teaming up bullshit. Done to death. Go back to the basics.

the predator is a dick.
using advanced weaponry while standing at 8ft tall, weighing 300lbs, using invisibility and thermal vision.
real fair fight/hunt!
the jon jones of the sci-fi world.

He goes from planet to planet hunting the warriors of that planet. Earth just didnt have suitable warriors (or so it seemed at first) ;)

little is known. perhaps on their home planet, there are vegan/progressive predators with their own PETA campaigning against the predators we see in the movie lol

I spit diet coke out my nose all over my phone and I'm all sticky now. Thanks d00d

My fav kill was King Willie. You dont even see the kill,which is alot of how the original movie went. But when he jumps down and walks in the puddles while cloaked is Godly.

Any normal person runs or cowers.

King willie knew his time was up but he wasnt goin down like no punk bitch.

Predator killing the lone ranger in part 2 is brutal for how it literally shows him wrench the skull and spine out of the guy.

Also when he throws the dude through the window in the train. Goddamn.

Best kill in part 1 is def how he kills mac and dillon. They stood no chance despite all the drama built up.

Fun Fact.

Gillette named their Mac 3 razor after Bill Duke's character in Predator.

He also used 60 razors per day while filming.
another little known fact, when Mac is shaving his face and pressing so hard the razor breaks. That wasn't his blood, it was the razor's

another little known fact, when Mac is shaving his face and pressing so hard the razor breaks. That wasn't his blood, it was the razor's
He gonna come back again,and when he does im gonna cut your name into 'im.....im gonna cut your NAME into im...

Nah not true. He weeds out the weak until a cormier reveals himself and then offloads his Peds.
I've always wondered why he didn't deem Billy worthy enough. He sliced open his own goddamn chest!
tenor.gif

CHTI.gif

Maybe he did,but it didnt last long either way....
I've always assumed he got gutted like Dillon cause he wouldn't scream like that from the shoulder cannon

It was released in 1987, so I doubt there was much of a jump in quality from the DVD to BluRay.

Probably won't be able to tell the difference between BluRay and 4K.
Theres a notable difference my friend. Less grainy scenes and the contrast is much better. Not to mention the surround sound...

ok,which is th most manly film,predator or the thing? as far as i can see is,theyre god tier movies.

Back