Was watching PREDATOR the other day..

Van damme approves of this thread...
jean-claude-van-damme-predator.jpg

In college at a party, Predator was on the tv, and when Arnold did the roar with the torch, everybody in the room roared with it. Fuck me, that was cool.

Away and bow your head,hipster. Its not all hidden,but its not exactly something you think that much about when you watch it. Its small touches that are largely absent or missing entirely from movies in this genre today. But we can talk about The Thing or The Predator forever.

Thanks for not mentioning I repeated myself in special forces fashion. Yeah, movies weren't afraid to Have plots then.

Yes. They established an ethos, pathos, and logos for all characters, even ones that didn't make it very far in the movie. It's one of the special things that made an absurd-sounding action movie in a flooded market become a classic. Having two writer/directors in the cast probably helped a lot.

To be fair though I think that era of the mid/late 80's into the very early 90's actually had quite a few films that were rather dismissed as mere action at the time dispite having rather more depth to them, Predator, both Terminators, Robocop, Aliens, etc.

Part of the issue IMHO is that more straight sci fi became pretty rare in that era(maybe due to Blade Runner flopping?) so a lot of interesting ideas and talented directors ended up being put into action films.

I would point out that until the end when Arnie comes into his own in a more physical performance most of the film is carried by Carl Weathers and Bill Duke.

I would point out that until the end when Arnie comes into his own in a more physical performance most of the film is carried by Carl Weathers and Bill Duke.
no doubt.

Arnold is the most austrian american soldier ever,and mostly all he does is make intiuitive observations. Its mac who has the emotional weight of revenge and Dillon who shows the disbelief of what it is they are really dealing with,feeding arnold that stuff so he can work off of it. I mean this is brilliantly put together.

Arnold cleans up in the end by being the solitary bad ass lone survivor. I didnt even get mad when he makes some jokes when fighting the predator hand to hand,cos the movie gets so dark with no dialogue for a long time. Another thing you dont get w movies these days.

Movie has little things that give it depth. The reference Poncho makes to the team serving in Afghanistan, Mac and Blaine fighting the VC and being the last standing which Mac references before he kills the pig.

Lots of good stuff in there, characters had personality and uniqueness across the board.

I liked how Mac is in a suit and tie when they get off the chopper. Like he's some kind of pimp stockbroker special forces dude.

I liked how Mac is in a suit and tie when they get off the chopper. Like he's some kind of pimp stockbroker special forces dude.
That guy is great in everything i ever seen him in.

That guy is great in everything i ever seen him in.

He's had an impressive career. I really liked him in American Gigolo and Bird on a Wire.

I guess most people know,but the helicopter pilot at the end is Kevin Peter Hall,who played the Predator in both movies and did a tremendous job. Predator 2 required alot more physicality than the first movie and how that guy gets anything done in that suit is simply amazing. I had to laugh at the hand to hand fight scenes. All the guy can really do in that suit for safety and mobility reasons is smack and bitch smack arnold around. They covered it up well by showing predators pov vision through alot of it. In the 2md movie they did it much better where the predator tries to cut danny glover with his gauntlet and danny uses the disc to block hits. I can go on and on about this kinda shit forever. They dont make em like this anymore.

To be fair though I think that era of the mid/late 80's into the very early 90's actually had quite a few films that were rather dismissed as mere action at the time dispite having rather more depth to them, Predator, both Terminators, Robocop, Aliens, etc.

Part of the issue IMHO is that more straight sci fi became pretty rare in that era(maybe due to Blade Runner flopping?) so a lot of interesting ideas and talented directors ended up being put into action films.

Oh absolutely.

Re-watching the original Terminator after T2 when I was a kid, I noticed all of the symbolism (tangled cords, phone message, kids watching TV, night club) and that it was my first encounter with "grandfather paradox."

Robocop was kind of like Fahrenheit 451° in that it was a society edging towards dystopia where humanity was devaluing at an increased rate. Instead of the ethical and practical ramifications of technology on society, it speculated on what technology (or application of society) could result from a society slowly consuming itself.

predador-vai-se-passar-nos-dias-atuais.jpg

Cos im an American,and a man,no other reason. For some reason i paid more attention to the plot then i usually do.

So Dillon doin some recon shit past the border where he aint supposed to be doin shit. His CIA dudes 'chopper gets shot down by the guerillas,and they take the men hostage.

Dillon sends a special forces group of 6 men in to get them,but they all get wasted by the Predator.

Dillon sends Arnolds team in with a cooked up story. They find three of the corpses of the special forces group skinned and hanging from trees.

Arnold asks what about the rest,and Billy says "Theres no signs. They never left here. Hell,its like they just fuckin disappeared"

I never gave much thought to that before,but i started thinkin,well wtf happened to those guys,and it would seem that the Predator doesnt skin guys who actually take the fight to him in some kinda way. In Predator 2,king willie didnt run from death,he held his ground. Predator took his skull. The rest of those guys he killed in the penthouse,he skinned and hung them. So im guessing 3 of those guys went down like savages and predator took their skulls.

Later in the movie Predator starts really racking up the kill points. Mac spots the predator in the trees and shows Dillon where he is. Dillon says "Ok ill flush him out towards you and you nail him" and then dillon goes for his outflanking move. We all know the Predator has thermal vision,and probably saw them the whole time. No one in the movie ever figures this out really,so those two guys are doomed from the start. The predator just goes and kills Mac as soon as Dillon seperates from him,and then kills Dillon. Billy stands his ground and gets killed,and then pred shoots poncho in the head,and this is where Arnie jumps off the mountain into the water.

We all know Arnie gets covered in mud and pred cant see him. Watching this again,i realize when the Pred realizes he cant find him,he goes back up the mountain and retrieves the bodies of the slain and takes the trophies he wants. They show him taking Billys skull. Its pretty creepy to think about him going back up there to collect the trophies. Movies like this seem simple enough but back then the details put into even a movie like this is 10000 times better than any shit from today.

Watch this movie right now. The fuck.

predator.png
Great post, i had this realization when I did what you did rewatching Predator a couple years ago.

Bill Duke is always good.

Plus he provided the perfect way to enter into a conversation with teens that get caught doing stupid shit in this classic scene.

Think about 'Long Tall Sally'.

That'll be going round your head for the next few days

You're very welcome.

Back