Was Ward Kovalev II a bad stopage?

Was Ward Kovalev II a bad stopage?

• Total voters
Yeah and the fight was stopped by illegal shots to the body whilst he was doubled over. The right to the jaw didn't do that. If he'd have been staggering around taking loads of unanswered head shots I could see your point.
The shot to the jaw is what fucked him up and sent him wobbling. This is so hilariously ignored.

You think he was recovered from that while falling around trying to hold on....?

The shot to the jaw is what fucked him up and sent him wobbling. This is so hilariously ignored.

You think he was recovered from that while falling around trying to hold on....?

He would have certainly recovered had Meeks givne him at least an 8 count. In fact, he was mostly recovered before Ward went low on a last

He would have certainly recovered had Meeks givne him at least an 8 count. In fact, he was mostly recovered before Ward went low on a last
8 count huh?

No he wasnt.

Regardless of whether or not Kovalev was hurt, that was a low blow and therefore a terrible stoppage. Anyone denying that is full of shit. It looked like Tony Weeks was desperate to stop it first chance he got.

War was throwing with reckless abandonment and could have got KO'd.

Meeks just trying to protect his bastard son.

That's a a joke, you know if Kovalev got up on count 8, Meeks would have stopped it. LOL

I don't think there's any conspiracy here. Sometimes referees make split second decisions based on what they see and it's not always the best result. I think that is what happened here. We've seen worse stoppages over the years.

I'm not ignoring it but you have to acknowledge that after that Ward was not attacking the head, he was focusing on the body and illegal shots are what won him the stoppage. He should have been allowed to continue. If Ward did him enough damage he would have gone down.

This is the end

The ref didnt stop the fight their thus it was not the end.

And yeah I am not so sure about that stoppage even still. If the fight is stopped off low blows....I dont care if he isn't defending them. Their not legal shots.

I will say though there have been worse stoppages over the years. But this was pretty bad

The ref didnt stop the fight their thus it was not the end.

And yeah I am not so sure about that stoppage even still. If the fight is stopped off low blows....I dont care if he isn't defending them. Their not legal shots.

I will say though there have been worse stoppages over the years. But this was pretty bad

That's the blow that caused Sergey to stop defending himself which caused the ref to step in to stop the fight in less than a minute after.

That's the blow that caused Sergey to stop defending himself which caused the ref to step in to stop the fight in less than a minute after.
I disagree. I think you guys are making that punch to be WAYYYYYY more than it was tbh

Did it rock him yes.
Did he go down no

It was very nice right hand that hurt Kov. But Ward was not landing cleanly at all during his followup attack EXCEPT to the nutsack. I dont get why this is so difficult to understand. If its not legal shots that stop the fight THAN HOW CAN IT HAVE BEEN A GOOD STOPPAGE. Lol

That being said I think that right hand would have changed the fight to Wards favor and Ward would have won. But still we will never know

I disagree. I think you guys are making that punch to be WAYYYYYY more than it was tbh

Did it rock him yes.
Did he go down no

It was very nice right hand that hurt Kov. But Ward was not landing cleanly at all during his followup attack EXCEPT to the nutsack. I dont get why this is so difficult to understand. If its not legal shots that stop the fight THAN HOW CAN IT HAVE BEEN A GOOD STOPPAGE. Lol

That being said I think that right hand would have changed the fight to Wards favor and Ward would have won. But still we will never know

<18>

Ward walks a fine line, where he likes to bend the rules, even as he plays up the Christian man persona. I think that was a bad stoppage. Kovalev was avoiding the head shots, even after the initial bomb. The body shots at the end were low. There wasn't enough distance to land a powerful body shot there. However, don't need much distance to hurt some dude's dick. Not sure what Weeks was thinking. That's not enough to stop a boxing fight.

Did it rock him yes.
Did he go down no

He ran away for half a minute. He was fucked up.

He ran away for half a minute. He was fucked up.
I agree. But i still think it was a bad stoppage. I have absolutley no problem with someone saying

" Yeah Kov was fucked up from that right hand, probably wouldn't have made it." Hell I'd probably agree with you.

But to say that was a good stoppage to me is lunacy. But eh. I guess it is what it is

Did it rock him yes.
Did he go down no

That's not really true. He was battering Kovalev with plenty of legal body work and clearly continuing to hurt Kovalev before that final flurry which had either one or two low blows. I still think it was a bad stoppage and that Ward should have been admonished or perhaps even penalized for those last two shots, but Ward doing plenty of good work against Kovalev after hurting him with the right hand.

Just add to the rules that blows to the balls are acceptable?

Kovalev was bent over by a legal blow. then one went Low-ish but not on the BALLS just bellow the belly button.

Yeah it was a shit stoppage. Weeks seemed too eager to stop it and didn't even give Kovalev a chance.. i mean c'mon the guy is a former champion and his only loss prior to this was Ward and even that was a controversial loss.

Back