Was Ward Kovalev II a bad stopage? | Page 4

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Lionel Mandrake, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:45 AM.

?

Was Ward Kovalev II a bad stopage?

1. Yes

63.4%
  2. No

36.6%
  1. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    How much more serious does it get other than taking a nap? He was buckled and literally running away or trying to hold on for dear life for over half a minute. He was getting battered and you could see the reaction in his face. (Im not knocking him for that, dude took the best shots Ward could throw, and a fucking lot of them.)

Ward fan or not he was in a bad situation and wanted out of it. I think if Weeks let Ward keep dishing it out people would be bitching about him letting it go too long.

BluntTrauma21 likes this.
  2. wilddeuces Purple Belt

wilddeuces
    And Paulie, brought up how a couple were low and should have been called, so let's pay attention to that with what Roy said. Now we see how bad the circumstances become. And the timing and placement of the punch, man. Right deep down there. That's what is irksome to people that said letting it play out was for the best and one can't argue that. It was contentious enough of a punch and the timing for the stoppage exacerbated things. So contentious, by the way, that so many people are writing in so many threads about it. Paulie, a name you brought up, supports this assertion. Had that punch not been so low, their would have been an emphatic exclamation on a fun, exciting fight, instead of an question mark or an ellipsis. Weeks saying he should have let it continue was because he knew it was a bad hit to end the fight on. Kovalev not observably defending himself is overlooked because people are arguing that he shouldn't have to defend against low blows. And the shot strayed, let's not pretend it was a clean enough strike to avoid all these threads about it. And let's not pretend that a punch that low would 100% not hurt his dick. Nobody is saying that was a clean body punch, they are saying it was a contentious point to stop things (our conversation becomes proof of this, and thus, contributes to my point). It was a bad time to stop it, and that is powerfully true due to the nature of the blow (even if his belt line was lower, it would still be contentious, because it was low enough).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    nastyleft likes this.
  3. Sir Punchalot Black Belt

Sir Punchalot
    Sherdog logic: if you have your opponent in trouble and he's probably losing the fight anyway, it's fully okay to finish him off with a punch to the nuts.

Lionel Mandrake likes this.
  4. spinitch Green Belt

spinitch
    Bad stoppage, don't they have replays? Can understand the initial call but to call a finish on someone with a low blow very unfortunate for the loser.

5. silus_2000 Gold Belt

silus_2000
  6. Shael Silver Belt

Shael
    I defended it in the pbp thread but if it's a yes or no question then I have to go with yes, the stoppage was bad stoppage. Kovalev was on his feet and it was the first time he'd been in trouble during the fight. Premature but Kovalev did himself no favors doubling over like that.

7. BluntTrauma21 SpottieOttieDopaliscious

BluntTrauma21
    'think that's been proven to be a fake account.

Boy God and silus_2000 like this.
  8. silus_2000 Gold Belt

silus_2000
    Do you have a link? I googled and didn't find anything definitive.

9. nac386 Silver Belt

nac386
    Call me cruel, but in a fight like that I want to see a guy truly unable to continue before it is called off. I know that's a rough thing to say, but boxing is a brutal sport. Kovalev threw a combination 4 seconds before the ref jumped in, he was not in critical condition, just hurt and gassed.

10. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    Fair enough. I really think a large portion of those saying it was early would turn and say it was late had it been allowed to go further.

11. Jim Reaper Green Belt

Jim Reaper
    It was a bad stoppage but it was Kovalev's fault. By the time the one body shot that actually DID land low connected, Tony Weeks was already getting tired of Sergey acting like body shots were low from the two prior instances he hunched over and campaigned for a breather. If Weeks sincerely missed that one clear one, it would have just looked like Kovalev gave up from his perspective. Sergey could have saved himself by taking a knee.

It's a lot worse of a stoppage if you think of it as a "damage being inflicted" stoppage, but if you look at it more like a "no mas" stoppage it's not THAT terrible, assuming Weeks didn't catch the one shot that was low.

12. nac386 Silver Belt

nac386
    That may be true, and a lot of them would also think it was a good stoppage if Kov was the one stopping Ward.

13. Pugilistic Black Belt

Pugilistic
    As a fan, I wished the fight went on longer. I wish Kovalev took a knee or Weeks broke them off or something so we could've gotten a cleaner ending.
    From Week's perspective, I think he did what he had to do.

14. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    Yep. I truly think Id feel the same. Sucks it went down with some controversy but I think Kova was done, I wouldnt want to see Ward take more punishment there either.

15. aries Red Belt

aries
    There was 34 seconds left in the round, in a championship level fight considering that Kov was mostly hurt to the body I'd have let it go. Mind you if I was the ref I'd have not been blind to the illegal body shots either and have taken a point from Ward plus given Kov a rest.

16. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    Wasn't it agbeko who got away with a billion nut shots? Or was it mares, iirc it was abner.

17. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    Mostly hurt to the body? He got buckled with a right to the jaw that sent him running and stumbling.

18. aries Red Belt

aries
    Yeah and the fight was stopped by illegal shots to the body whilst he was doubled over. The right to the jaw didn't do that. If he'd have been staggering around taking loads of unanswered head shots I could see your point.

19. BEATINGu MAGA Belt

BEATINGu
    TKO now stands for Testicular KO when it comes to ward.

Dude, he was hitting Kovalev in the area between pubes and a bellybutton consistently. If that's not a low blow, what is?

20. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    Ball shots.