Was this prime Alistair Overeem?

P.S. - No. Beating Brock Lesnar does not equate one's prime. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were referring to the fight associated with that weigh-in; although I think you were just mirin' da bod.

If you think THAT'S 'mirin Overeem's body, check this guy out.

I was always fascinated by Valentijn in mma

Had plenty of skill, but with the heart of Bo Cantrell or Bob Sapp

Didn't he sub Randy back in the day?

Wish he could've put it together

And submitted babalu which was an even better accomplishment.

Now this is the valentijn we get.

Last time he was focused was when he got to strikeforce cause he saw all the success his brother was getting. Then chad griggs came along and took whatever motivation he had left in him

prime Fedor wouldnt survive an Uberknee. That was the weapon that finally cracked Fujita's skull.
tumblr_lzx5qeVfQG1r06m1wo1_400.gif
Did it actually though? I remember him being in serious pain but I'd never read about the aftermath.

K1 Uber was 280-285 lbs with no fat on him.. while MMA Uber was 275 lbs with the same low body fat %
.. he could enter body building competition with that body of his.

Now days we get the 245-250 lbs fat version of him, with running, with low output, with lots of fakes.. he can't take a punch, he only snipes and occasionally tries to set a trap his chin is so done and he knows it he fights not to take a punch, got so much firepower but it's in a glass cannon.

Not even, amigo. Ubereem was never over 260. It was a much more impressive 260 than we see from say, Tim Johnson or prime Timmeh but he was never THAT huge.

Regardless, prime Ubereem would be a tough match for every HW that's ever competed in MMA.

Not even, amigo. Ubereem was never over 260. It was a much more impressive 260 than we see from say, Tim Johnson or prime Timmeh but he was never THAT huge.

Regardless, prime Ubereem would be a tough match for every HW that's ever competed in MMA.

He said leading to that Brock fight he only cuts small weight to make the scale.. so something like 10 lbs for a HW is not something to serious like legit skip the night meal, don't eat breakfast, go toilet and just sweat a little bit half ass of a workout and the weight should be off.. then you drink and eat up and recover your size.

Reem vs Brock was 263 lbs with jeans on and he said he did that small cut to be right at the scale.

It's real easy for a HW to over cut especially if he only cuts so little.

012914-UFC-Alistair-Overeem-readies-a-punch-against-Brock-Lesnar-HF-PI.jpg

Now this is him in K1 where he has no grappling so he can enjoy the size even better hence why he is a tad heavier then in MMA even in his Uber days.

Then look at pictures from K1 you can see he is a tad bigger:

overeemnew4504.jpg
96ace446e13fbda8d3e2f353f4064336.jpg

13248879_589328204577183_527559812_n.jpg

Even in his UBER form I see him:

I see him the biggest in his K1 fights.. around 280-285 lbs would be my guess.

And a tad smaller for when he shows up for his MMA fights.. around 270-275 lbs.

Of course I wasn't there with a scale on fight night to put him on and see 100% I'm just going from the pictures and from what he said, for his MMA fights he had to cut a little bit of weight that's it.

For all we know he could very well be under the 265 limit and he just played it up for the size factor and to get more buys out of UFC 141 vs Brock.

The Uber version had more confidence, meaning he would not be afraid to look at any incoming attacks and as you well know it's way better if you shit coming many boxing old heads will tell you that most KO shots are the ones you don't see, then we add in his constant pressure, Uber was off the charts we wouldn't let you get off so easy on him (only in K1 where ha had the big gloves) the rest in MMA he walks you down, last I would say the extra 30 lbs of size all with a much lower body fat % would have him with more power and a more solid neck to support that glass chin of his for HW standards.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Uber version would have defeated his Eco version, what backing off and trying to sniper a shot in ? all scared shitless no way 2 max 3 minutes and Uber KO's him, it's the same damn fighter only one with extra power, extra confidence, better chin (yea not by much but maybe he can eat 1 before sleep time), better pressure.

This ain't a 10 minutes fight where cardio will become an issue this affair will be handled in 2-3 minutes.

I laugh my ass off when people claim current version is the best lol.. yea sure.. why do you think Reem himself selected the monster route if he didn't think it's the best route to take, he was force after the Lesnar fight to stop it and shit his confidence was super affected by it, he then started his downfall before he finally gather himself back up cause he was loosing to clearly inferior fighters then him roids or not.

I did say previously that I thought the Uber version was definitely the better K-1 fighter which makes sense really doesn't it as it was around 2009 mostly fighting K-1 where he started to really put on the muscle. The larger gloves made it much easier for him to slowly stalk opponents with a high guard and then look for counters where as in MMA I think he does benefit from having more mobility since he has neither a great chin nore great head/hip movement to slip punches.

You could potentially argue the Uber version was better suited for someone like Lesnar were raw power and wrestling was a big factor but lets not forget the loses to Browne and Bigfoot nore indeed how much Werdum landed on him in the 2nd fight.

Honestly not sure which version is the "best" as like so much of his career its about trade offs, when he adds one aspect to his game he loses another. You look even further back of course and the Pride era Overeem was arguably a more dangerous sub grappler than any of the more recent ones.

I did say previously that I thought the Uber version was definitely the better K-1 fighter which makes sense really doesn't it as it was around 2009 mostly fighting K-1 where he started to really put on the muscle. The larger gloves made it much easier for him to slowly stalk opponents with a high guard and then look for counters where as in MMA I think he does benefit from having more mobility since he has neither a great chin nore great head/hip movement to slip punches.

You could potentially argue the Uber version was better suited for someone like Lesnar were raw power and wrestling was a big factor but lets not forget the loses to Browne and Bigfoot nore indeed how much Werdum landed on him in the 2nd fight.

Honestly not sure which version is the "best" as like so much of his career its about trade offs, when he adds one aspect to his game he loses another. You look even further back of course and the Pride era Overeem was arguably a more dangerous sub grappler than any of the more recent ones.

Last time we saw Uber it was the Brock fight and it was Brock's worst showing he didn't come right into that one, he was check out mentally before that fight in my opinion.

Uber got busted and then started losing muscle mass and his confidence was also lacking made inferior caliber fighters like Big Foot and Travis and Big Ben win vs him.

He was busted in April 2012 then he lost in February 2013.

Werdum was a total non factor for him, the shots that were landing weren't a problem and soon as he would close in on him he would go on his back.. ugly as fight but he won it.

I seriously don't see any other version of himself beating the Uber, it's the same skills but in a bigger, stronger, confident package he will walk them all down.

He said leading to that Brock fight he only cuts small weight to make the scale.. so something like 10 lbs for a HW is not something to serious like legit skip the night meal, don't eat breakfast, go toilet and just sweat a little bit half ass of a workout and the weight should be off.. then you drink and eat up and recover your size.

Reem vs Brock was 263 lbs with jeans on and he said he did that small cut to be right at the scale.

It's real easy for a HW to over cut especially if he only cuts so little.

012914-UFC-Alistair-Overeem-readies-a-punch-against-Brock-Lesnar-HF-PI.jpg

Now this is him in K1 where he has no grappling so he can enjoy the size even better hence why he is a tad heavier then in MMA even in his Uber days.

Then look at pictures from K1 you can see he is a tad bigger:

overeemnew4504.jpg
96ace446e13fbda8d3e2f353f4064336.jpg

13248879_589328204577183_527559812_n.jpg

Even in his UBER form I see him:

I see him the biggest in his K1 fights.. around 280-285 lbs would be my guess.

And a tad smaller for when he shows up for his MMA fights.. around 270-275 lbs.

Of course I wasn't there with a scale on fight night to put him on and see 100% I'm just going from the pictures and from what he said, for his MMA fights he had to cut a little bit of weight that's it.

For all we know he could very well be under the 265 limit and he just played it up for the size factor and to get more buys out of UFC 141 vs Brock.

He was 117 kg (257.5) for the 2009 K-1 World GP. He was 262 for the 2010 World GP. He's nowhere near 285, my man. Blame it on the wheelchair calves.

He was 117 kg (257.5) for the 2009 K-1 World GP. He was 262 for the 2010 World GP. He's nowhere near 285, my man. Blame it on the wheelchair calves.

You got any link for the weigh ins I can't find them and I sure as hell don't trust the tale of the tape or their shitty sites with old info or just made up info the fighters tell them when they don't want to reveal the real score.

Why would he lie for the UFC 141 fight then, I remember him with Ariel and he said he has to cut a little but not much and that Brock is bigger.

Can't find the UFC 141 interview but another example heading in to fight at UFC 146 vs JDS he said he is lighter at 270 compared to the Brock fight. (he got popped shortly after xD)

"Yeah, I do cut. For the Brock fight I was like 275, 280. For this fight I also have to cut a little bit, I'm a bit over 265 lbs."

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/...a-rousey-interviews-alistair-overeem-ufc-news

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/rmslc/alistair_overeem_yeah_i_do_cut_before_the_brock/

And again from picks he looks bigger in K1 days then in the MMA days.

So what gives..

I thought he looked cooler when he was slimmer in pride with the ratty hair

You got any link for the weigh ins I can't find them and I sure as hell don't trust the tale of the tape or their shitty sites with old info or just made up info the fighters tell them when they don't want to reveal the real score.

Why would he lie for the UFC 141 fight then, I remember him with Ariel and he said he has to cut a little but not much and that Brock is bigger.

Those were the stats read out by the announcers for 2009-2010. Michael Buffer was doing the intros for 2009, which I didn't remember happening. I guess the Japanese never really did care too much about weight limits or anything and there was certainly no upper limit in K1, so it's possible that they could be inaccurate but I don't see why they'd do something like that nor what Reem would have to gain from lying about his weight.

Of course, it would make sense to put a little more mass on for MMA versus kickboxing in order to help with the static strength aspect of grappling. I wouldn't say he looked any bigger in his pro kickboxing foray, just a little more shredded in those pics as he was in the middle of dishing out some pretty one-sided ass-whoopings?

Ultimately, I dunno how much Ubereem weighed for sure, but 263 is the highest I ever saw him at against Brock and I'm tempted to think that was about the limit of his Sayin powers.

Note that for the second video his walkout weight was listed at 242, while his actual weight was read as 257. Man, the Japanese didn't care about stats!

Duh. Unbereem was damn near unstoppable. He didn't start losing until he popped for horsemeat.

If he had a chin like Henderson/Hunt he would be in the GOAT talk, his skill set is ridiculous.. just a shame his chin has let him down time and time again.

Those were the stats read out by the announcers for 2009-2010. Michael Buffer was doing the intros for 2009, which I didn't remember happening. I guess the Japanese never really did care too much about weight limits or anything and there was certainly no upper limit in K1, so it's possible that they could be inaccurate but I don't see why they'd do something like that nor what Reem would have to gain from lying about his weight.

Of course, it would make sense to put a little more mass on for MMA versus kickboxing in order to help with the static strength aspect of grappling. I wouldn't say he looked any bigger in his pro kickboxing foray, just a little more shredded in those pics as he was in the middle of dishing out some pretty one-sided ass-whoopings?

Ultimately, I dunno how much Ubereem weighed for sure, but 263 is the highest I ever saw him at against Brock and I'm tempted to think that was about the limit of his Sayin powers.

Note that for the second video his walkout weight was listed at 242, while his actual weight was read as 257. Man, the Japanese didn't care about stats!

The curious case of Ubereem's size.

No way in hell he is 242 in that last one xD.

Yea seems in MMA and kickboxing we are really loosey goosey about stats from height, to reach, to even the scale, I've seen plenty of rounding out by the UFC and for some HWs letting them not fully strip like the rest of the weight classes.

I guess boxing takes it a tad more serious (even sometimes has to fight night scales) but they also inflate height.

Also you think it's better to come in heavier for MMA ? I would assume the grappling it's to much on the muscles they will gas out faster, would prefer a more lean approach or even the fat/muscle types like Fedor and Cain then full on muscles that go out after 5 minutes of hard grappling if you are a HW.

While in K1 you can be like as big as you want just hide that chin behind the huge arms and gloves and go hard in spurs with extreme firepower to put out the other guy.

Back