Was Klitchko-Fury the worst titel fight in modern times?

Heavyweight fights are often fucking terrible. Big men rarely able to go 12 rounds without a lot of holding hugging and stumbling around.

I enjoyed the outcome of the fight, it was satisfying watching Klit's reign end, knowing the division could only get better from then on. And it has

The worst title fights are when neither guy wants to take a risk and their styles mesh as well as oil and water do. Klitschko-Fury is up there but I give Tyson credit for sticking to his gameplan, regardless of how boring it may have been to watch. It got the job done at the end of the day.

Kilt took advantage of his size so much that when matched up with another big, he didn't look special. He was on the decline for awhile already but no one could take advantage.

Not if you were there.

Edit again: And a Fury supporter of course

Danny Williams vs vitali was about as competitive as Bruce Willis vs the gimp in pulp fiction.

I enjoyed the outcome of the fight, it was satisfying watching Klit's reign end, knowing the division could only get better from then on. And it has

Blame the division not the fighter. Yes he was boring but he was miles ahead of anyone else in the division for roughly 10 years.

Blame the division not the fighter. Yes he was boring but he was miles ahead of anyone else in the division for roughly 10 years.

Actually the division he couldn't control, but his own performances he could. And they were pretty boring. Before the downfall he fought Haye, Povetkin, could've fought Valuev, yet his only entertaining fights was against Pulev. Such a long career and only 2 entertaining fights in total.

Such a long career and only 2 entertaining fights in total.

He was always cautious versus big guys, his entire career—the Jameel McCline fight is basically ten rounds of the bit in the Joshua fight after Klit scores his knockdown & takes his foot off the gas. & on his comeback under Steward, his safety-first style bored the fuck outta me, too but before that if he was facing someone smaller he was actually entertaining to watch—especially when he either punched himself out or got chinned.

For a start, look at this. He had that Ukrainian from-the-amateurs style that Lomachenko has perfected (mixing up the combos, often swapping from lead hand first to rear hand leads, bodyshots, constant movement)... Until he ran out of gas & Purrity wouldn't go away:

Of particular note is the uppercut he takes @2:30 of the tenth, which floors him (bent ref waves "no knockdown"): identical situation & shot to the one Joshua landed, which started Klit's unravelling in their fight.

Anyway, both this & the Sanders & Brewster fights were ace, too. I contend he was only boring versus someone of similar size until Steward got his hands on him & taught him to clinch, at which point he couldn't turn it off & did it all the time.

^ I don't think the fights against Thompson (6'5) and Wach (6'7) were boring at all. He wa also very explosive against Pulev (6'4). The fight against Joshua (6'6) certainly wasn't boring.

He had terrible stinkers against smaller opponents like Povetkin, Ibragimov and Haye (all of them around 6'2).

I think it's about styles, not size.
Styles make fights ...prime Mike Tyson vs. Wladimir would be a very interesting scene ...Riddick Bowe vs. Wlad would be interesting ...Muhammad Ali vs. Wlad would be something to watch ...all of them (Tyson, Ali, Bowe) have different heights.

Same goes for his more offensively minded brother Vitali ...even though he's more offensive, it doesn't mean it's a good fight ...if you let him have his way (Sam Peter, Cris Arreola, Shannon Briggs), he's going to slap you around all night long and it's not a good fight at all.

If you can be slick against him (Odlanier Solis until his body let him down) or take the fight to him (Dereck Chisora), then we have a fun fight.

It's about strategy, ability, styles.

Last edited:
If you can be slick against him (Odlanier Solis until his body let him down) or take the fight to him (Dereck Chisora), then we have a fun fight.

Gah, you beat me to it. That fight was such a let down. I though Solis really had it in him to give Vitali a good fight given his Amateur pedigree an all. For him just to roll his ankle, or whatever it was, on afirst round knockdown was so disheartening.

haye vs audley harrison

Buildup was funny, but it was terrible, such a mistmatch

Still cant believe a competitor in a heavyweight title fight could be so pathetic

haye vs audley harrison

Buildup was funny, but it was terrible, such a mistmatch

Still cant believe a competitor in a heavyweight title fight could be so pathetic

I did like Mormeck from his LHW and CW days, but his fight against Wlad was utter shit, Harrison-Haye style.

Back