Was Klitchko-Fury the worst titel fight in modern times?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has to be up there among the worst matches ever? Klitchko never let loose the right hand and was just soundly beaten without much effort.

Could it possibly be the worst titel fight of all time as for viewing entertainment?

For me it was the Sultan Ibragimov fight, only fight i've ever fallen asleep whilst watching

It has to be up there among the worst matches ever? Klitchko never let loose the right hand and was just soundly beaten without much effort.

Could it possibly be the worst titel fight of all time as for viewing entertainment?

Maybe the worst fight that went the distance.

I was more annoyed at the fight where Akinwande decided to hold on to Lennox for dear life round after round until Mills Lane said fuck this nonsense and just DQ'ed the nutjob.

Speaking of Lennox the Mccall rematch was awful. Looked forward to that fight for a couple years only to have it turn into some odd spectacle where Oliver started crying and refused to fight back or defend himself or even go to his corner between rounds.

Both of those fights were worse in my opinion because they didn't answer any of the questions we had going in.

I was more annoyed at the fight where Akinwande decided to hold on to Lennox for dear life round after round until Mills Lane said fuck this nonsense and just DQ'ed the nutjob.

Speaking of Lennox the Mccall rematch was awful. Looked forward to that fight for a couple years only to have it turn into some odd spectacle where Oliver started crying and refused to fight back or defend himself or even go to his corner between rounds.

Both of those fights were worse in my opinion because they didn't answer any of the questions we had going in.

I say Klitchko - Fury was worse. It didnt even require full contact stipulation, the way it was going.

A coked-up, overweight Mike Tyson unable to land clean shots in the much hyped Lewis-Tyson was up there too. Just a year earlier had Tyson in decent form. Why did he have to be in his worst match shape of his life for that fight? So annoying.

Agree.It was horrible and painful to watch.I don't think I've ever been angry after watching a fight,this is the one time I was.I wanted to throw my eyeballs at the screen.

The whole fight consisted of Fury twisting and turning and Wlad skipping and hopping after him.Like it was a giant's dancing contest.Awful.

Having more than 13' worth of fighters might be the requirement for worst modern HW title fight. It's either Klitshko-Fury or any one of Valuev's title defenses.

....wait, I forgot about John Ruiz. That guy had some brutal fights to watch.

Valuev vs Haye was terrible. Worst than Klitschko vs Fury.

Wlad-Fury was exicting in the sense that Wladimir was losing round after round after a long, long time. But that only worked watching it live.

Wlad-Povetkin was horrible though.

The two world title fights Charles Martin was part of were shit fights as well, even though they ended by early KO.
He had no business being in a world title fight.

Chagaev-Valuev was crap too.

Literaly the only thing Haye landed was that one counter.

I would have been fine with a Valuev win... a draw.... or both being catapulted into the nearest body of water.

For as lumbering as Valuev was my mind was melting at the fact that Haye was still too tentative to throw more shots.

Every Lara title fight has to be up there...

Ahhh John Ruiz a fine example of the greco roman style of boxing...

Tough to say:

some all-time stinkers include:

Klitschko vs. Ibragimov
Lewis vs. Holyfield
Oquendo vs. Byrd
Haye vs. Valuev

For Non HWs you'd be hard pressed to find a fight worse than Billy Dib vs. Steve Leuvano.

Fres Oquendo vs Chagaev was boxing in the loosest sense of the word

The worst title fights are when neither guy wants to take a risk and their styles mesh as well as oil and water do. Klitschko-Fury is up there but I give Tyson credit for sticking to his gameplan, regardless of how boring it may have been to watch. It got the job done at the end of the day.

I remember both of these and feeling sorry for Lewis because he just couldn't seem to get any excitement in his fights because things like this kept happening to him. At the time I was only a casual boxing fan and was almost put off the sport.

Wlad-Fury was exicting in the sense that Wladimir was losing round after round after a long, long time. But that only worked watching it live.

That's true. The fight was terrible, but watching the whole thing unfold throughout the day was amazing. The Fury fight wasn't in the ring. It was telling Wlad's team to change the dodgy ring, telling them to re-wrap hands with a witness, etc. Basically countering all the little things that the Klits always did to put lesser fighters off their game.

Even though it was a terrible, terrible fight it was entertaining to watch fury bouncing round like a coke fuelled bear showing Klit zero respect and just confusing the entire boxing world.

I wouldn't have paid money to watch the rematch, but I do wish it had happened.

A coked-up, overweight Mike Tyson unable to land clean shots in the much hyped Lewis-Tyson was up there too. Just a year earlier had Tyson in decent form. Why did he have to be in his worst match shape of his life for that fight? So annoying.

It didn’t matter what shape he turned up in at this time in his career, Lewis would still easily ko him

The worst was Rahman - Ruiz. And I got up at 5 am to watch it live.

*sigh*

Back