Was Khabib 'Just Another Loss' For McGregor at UFC 229?

There is never a rest from all this garbage. If Conor wins, all the huggers are spamming threads. If he loses the haters are even worse, as is demonstrated here and now.

All the people criticizing him for enjoying life and being happy...

What do you want? Do you want him to hide in a corner and cry? It doesn't matter what he does, you'll have him. That is just as bad as loving him no matter what he does.
For the record, there's no hate or love either way in this question. It's a simple question, and an important question I feel for his future.

For the record, there's no hate or love either way in this question. It's a simple question, and an important question I feel for his future.
That's fair. You do not show any hostility either way

I think McGregor opts for the greatest utility. Like a Costing manager. There are going to be gains, and there are going to be losses. Conor focuses on accentuating gains in life, wherever they may be. A few years ago he was confident that the largest increases were to be found in fighting, establishing himself as the best. Whether he is or not, was or not, that was the perception he established and it was lucrative. Mayweather fight shifted positions. His biggest payday, probably wasn't planning on winning. His focus was on the spectacle.

I don't know what his plan is right now, but if the plan was to use the Khabib fight to transition into other things such as the whiskey and clothing and out of fighting, which has become increasingly ferocious in his absence, there would be no practical criticism we could make. If Conor believes Khabib is too much for him, focusing on other things would make sense.

I've already given my thoughts on his whiskey elsewhere in the forum so I won't bore you with them (I'm Irish, i'm a whiskey nut), but my opinion on the stuff itself is irrelevant- the fact is he has made a killing off of it. I don't know what the figures are now that it's been two weeks since the fight, but I'd not be surprised if they were still selling out.

What I probably should have said in my orignal post was, people who hate Conor seem to be bent on finding the failure in everything he's doing, when he has in fact been (apparently anyway) very calculated in each act to make as much money and/or fame as possible.

I think this loss hurt his image quite a bit. He needs to get some wins to restore some of his aura. Losing 3/5 of his last fights with one of the wins being questionable really diminishes him as being a real top guy. I don't think he'll stick around for much longer, might take a few fun fights but don't see him being a serious contender again.

That's fair. You do not show any hostility either way

I think McGregor opts for the greatest utility. Like a Costing manager. There are going to be gains, and there are going to be losses. Conor focuses on accentuating gains in life, wherever they may be. A few years ago he was confident that the largest increases were to be found in fighting, establishing himself as the best. Whether he is or not, was or not, that was the perception he established and it was lucrative. Mayweather fight shifted positions. His biggest payday, probably wasn't planning on winning. His focus was on the spectacle.

I don't know what his plan is right now, but if the plan was to use the Khabib fight to transition into other things such as the whiskey and clothing and out of fighting, which has become increasingly ferocious in his absence, there would be no practical criticism we could make. If Conor believes Khabib is too much for him, focusing on other things would make sense.

I've already given my thoughts on his whiskey elsewhere in the forum so I won't bore you with them (I'm Irish, i'm a whiskey nut), but my opinion on the stuff itself is irrelevant- the fact is he has made a killing off of it. I don't know what the figures are now that it's been two weeks since the fight, but I'd not be surprised if they were still selling out.

What I probably should have said in my orignal post was, people who hate Conor seem to be bent on finding the failure in everything he's doing, when he has in fact been (apparently anyway) very calculated in each act to make as much money and/or fame as possible.
I'm Irish and also a big whiskey fan myself, but I actually haven't tried it. I know it's a Bushmill's blend which he aged in bourbon (right?), so I can imagine it doesn't stray too far off that flavour. I'll try it eventually though.

And very fair points.

How is panic wrestling then giving up your back so your opponent will choke you out getting caught?
he gave up his back because his opponent had mount and was reigning down shots. same reason fedor gave his back to bigfoot 3 times.

Diaz 1- Destroyed? c'mon...he dropped him Diaz several times in the first round. Khabib DESTROYED him, Diaz just beat him.

You are speaking out of turn. Diaz was never dropped in their first fight, he wasn't even wobbled.

The first round was roughly a draw. The second round, Nate got cut up the first minute and ate some good shots. By the middle of round 2, he had boxed Conor's head in, who panic wrestled from the beating and got smashed and subbed on the ground.

Round 2 Submission is definitely getting destroyed in this context.

he gave up his back because his opponent had mount and was reigning down shots. same reason fedor gave his back to bigfoot 3 times.
He gave up his back, because he preferred to get chocked the fuck out over tapping to strikes. He didnt even hand fight at all, just like this last fight. Bring in someone fresh off the street on day one and bet they're atleast going to try and break the grip.

He gave up his back, because he preferred to get chocked the fuck out over tapping to strikes. He didnt even hand fight at all, just like this last fight. Bring in someone fresh off the street on day one and bet they're atleast going to try and break the grip.
No they won’t and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

You are speaking out of turn. Diaz was never dropped in their first fight, he wasn't even wobbled.

The first round was roughly a draw. The second round, Nate got cut up the first minute and ate some good shots. By the middle of round 2, he had boxed Conor's head in, who panic wrestled from the beating and got smashed and subbed on the ground.

Round 2 Submission is definitely getting destroyed in this context.
Basicaly, the old it was close untill it wasnt doesnt realy work when the fight lasts less than 2nds

He's burning but he isn't showing it.

He's still a fighter with a fighters ego.

No matter how much money he made he wants to win.

They tap. When they can’t access the hands and the choke is locked.
Nope they tap when they dont even make an effort to access the hands because theyre in a pain or uncomfortable. We are talking about a championship fight here not just rolling at the gym.

Back