Was Griffin Bonnar 1 really that important?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by mb23100, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MC OverPressure

MC OverPressure Hello, freak bitches

It was vitally important to the success of the company.
    Dana had borrowed a lot of money to get it on its feet, and the fight's numbers on that night were being closely watched. If it didn't go over, the UFC would have been done.

Mike likes this.
  2. Dorkman

Dorkman Red Belt

Yep. It was the first finale of their first attempt at a truly mainstream concept and audience. It needed to be a homerun or the UFC was going to continue having a very uncertain future. It ended up being a bottom of the 9th grand slam and the rest is history. MMA was NOT a mainstream accepted sport at the time, very far from it. And the crazyness that was the show garnered them just enough of a main stream audience on then Spike TV. on live cable. Lot of people also don't give enough credit to Ken Shamrocks name value being the main event with Rich Franklin helping draw the eyes needed to the event to make the homerun matter.

3. bully4me

bully4me Purple Belt

I agree with you that TUF was a major factor, the entire season. However the way that fight skyrocketed viewership while it was on is undeniable. Increasing well over tenfold.

From what info I've read and listened to over the years, yes Spike was interested in doing a second season. In the TV business that means 50-50 at best, Spike and Zuffa were still in negotiations. All good signs and good rating during the TUF finally from the start. Once the Bonner- Griffin fight started and ratings started going nuts, more than anyone ever hoped for (also the highest rating Spike had ever seen), execs from Spike and the Fretita's signed the contract that night.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge believer that TUF was a huge factor. If there was no base of TUF fans for the season and a great finally overall the Griffin - Bonner fight would have done shit. It was the right combination of events and two guys who gave it everything.

MMA has evolved greatly but any type of fight that had two warriors that wouldn't back down could have filled in that space during the finally. Can you imagine if It had of been Lawler - Macdonald or Gaethje - Poirer fighting in the finale? Any of those type of pure heart nonstop bouts would have done it.

Mike likes this.
  4. Bojka

Bojka Purple Belt

lol no. Not at all.

Dana White et al like the promoters they are hyped the shit out of it like it was the greatest spectacle in sports history. It wasn't. it was just a good competitive fight.

TUF 1 was extremely important. A bunch of my friends started watching it and got super into it and gathered at one friend's house to watch the finale. But the Bonnar/Griffin fight didn't make us bigger fans.

Don't believe his lies, etc. He's a promoter.

5. Bojka

Bojka Purple Belt

I credit MMA's rise with the exceptional casting of TUF 1.

Leben, Koscheck, Diego, Couture, and Liddell were all more important than that fight for the rise of the UFC IMO.

6. punky brewster

punky brewster Black Belt

[​IMG]

loyalyolayal likes this.
  7. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Had a lot to do with it being free and on TV and how many people were tuning in

8. JT RIPPER

JT RIPPER Black Belt

If it was shitty or a squash match, nobody woulda cared like the other finals match: Diego vs Kenny

9. 007

007 License to Kill

Without that season and that fight we would not be here right now

10. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

On the wave of MMA taking over the world.
    It was the most important fight in the history of the UFC....Anyone telling you otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.

They were on the verge of folding the company, and if it wasn't for TUF 1 and that fight, there would be no UFC....

I remember all my friends calling each other and telling them to turn on spike TV and watch what's happening...None of them ever really watched MMA before but sorta followed boxing....This occurred all over the country....

11. MayhemMonkey

MayhemMonkey ... Im kind of a big deal!

yup, without a doubt it saved the UFC

Kung Fu Tze likes this.
  12. EvilManny

EvilManny Purple Belt

Old school social media. Everybody called each other and said u watching this crazy ass fight on spike?

13. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

It and TUF in general. I don't know how much the narrative of people calling each other and telling them to watch was true but it was a fight that people talked about after the fact. If they would have had a boring a fight who knows what the long term difference would have been.

14. Prime Shane Douglas

Prime Shane Douglas The Franchise Platinum Member

Ding ding ding.

The UFC owes a lot to the WWE for it's rise. Before TUF, the rise back up for the UFC started with a returning Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz. Ken was fresh off his WWE run and brought a lot of those fans back with him on name value alone.

The concept of the show was based off of WWE's Tough Enough and it aired directly after Raw. Raw was still drawing big numbers and still was targeting the 18-35 year old market then, i.e. the TV-14 days.

The card also featured a bout with Shamrock going against a young upstart in Rich Franklin. That too brought in a bunch of viewers as it was a big name on a free card on Spike.

The Griffin/Bonnar fight was the icing on the cake. It was the right fight, at the right time with the right people watching...

15. Local Plata

Local Plata Hitchslap Belt

Yes. It ushered in a ton of fucking dorks who knew nothing about MMA into the sport. Now the UFC is huge and there are events like every weekend.

16. Kung Fu Tze

Kung Fu Tze Skin that Smokewagon !!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

The Just Bleed fight that brought that casuals in by the thousands... Dude. We were calling all our friends telling them to put it on. :eek:

17. snackgod

snackgod Yellow Card Yellow Card

yes cause it capped the end of tuf 1 that was a huge hit and that fight is why the company sold for 4.2 billion.

ita fact that the ufc was still losing money and dana talked to the brothers and they told dana this is the last chance to turn the ufc around.

after tuf 1 as the old saying goes the rest is history.

18. snackgod

snackgod Yellow Card Yellow Card

didn't mean they weren't still losing money before the tuf 1 season.

19. StoneWT

StoneWT Purple Belt

Yes. Two white boys swangin' and bangin' saved the company.

20. TrueFightFan

TrueFightFan Fight Purist

You probably shit on Columbus, Washington, Steve Jobs and the Frito Lay guy, even though you probably live in America, are free to type what you want on your stupid I-pad or I-phone and have nasty, orange, grubby little fingers from all of the cheetos you keep jamming in your unappreciative mouth, right?