Was Dave Sands one of the all time greats?

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
there is only a limited amount of footage available of Sands but he seemed to have awesome skills and punching prowess. he gave bobo olsen a real drubbing and was the middle, light heavy and heavyweight champion of Australia. rumour has it the Ray Robinson sad he would have to get paid a lot of money to fight sands. unfortunately the fight never eventuated and Sands died at an early age in a car accident. i was just wondering how many people had actually heard of him and how they rate him considering Robinson is frequently rated #1 P4P.

there is only a limited amount of footage available of Sands but he seemed to have awesome skills and punching prowess. he gave bobo olsen a real drubbing and was the middle, light heavy and heavyweight champion of Australia. rumour has it the Ray Robinson sad he would have to get paid a lot of money to fight sands. unfortunately the fight never eventuated and Sands died at an early age in a car accident. i was just wondering how many people had actually heard of him and how they rate him considering Robinson is frequently rated #1 P4P.
He is nowhere near p4p 1 if that's what you're asking. A few notable names and a good Australian career and rightly is in the ibhof. Beyond that people can make their own judgement based on resume. I only know what I've read which to be honest isn't that much.

He is nowhere near p4p 1 if that's what you're asking. A few notable names and a good Australian career and rightly is in the ibhof. Beyond that people can make their own judgement based on resume. I only know what I've read which to be honest isn't that much.
i highly recommend watching the small amount of footage available, he had great boxing skill and could really punch. the yarn was that no decent american fighter wanted to go anywhere near him. he destroyed henry brimm, a guy that went the distance with robinson. i wasn't really saying anything about P4P #1 or any such nonsense, i was just wondering if people had heard of him and how they compare him to other great fighters.

i highly recommend watching the small amount of footage available, he had great boxing skill and could really punch. the yarn was that no decent american fighter wanted to go anywhere near him. he destroyed henry brimm, a guy that went the distance with robinson. i wasn't really saying anything about P4P #1 or any such nonsense, i was just wondering if people had heard of him and how they compare him to other great fighters.
Cheers for the post, he's one of those names I've seen but never bothered to look into.

Cheers for the post, he's one of those names I've seen but never bothered to look into.
one hell of a fighter, died at the age of 26. in my opinion had almost as much skill as robinson and a better punch. he was a naturally bigger man though. the only real footage i can find is him fighting olsen, who he gave a good hammering until he wore out in the late rounds and bobo made a comeback, he still won an easy points decision. he beat olsen twice and knocked henry brimm out early. they are the only world class fighter he fought at his own weight that i know of.

Back