Was Chris Lytle the most underrated fighter ever?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was watching old fights and I remember that this dude has fought EVERYBODY!

His list of opponents are, Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, Karo Parisyan, Joe Riggs, Nick Diaz, Thiago Alves and many more but one fought that was epic was his fight with Robbie Lawler.

Robbie knocked him down and on the way down Chris started clapping. It was epic and in his retirement fight, he finished Dan Hardy who was coming off a decision loss to GSP.

One thing to mention is, he had 13-1-1 record in pro boxing and as far as MMA goes, he has never been finished except two cut losses against Joe Riggs and Thaigo Alves which was a decision made by officials and he himself always protested it.

Did Chris have the hardest fights?

Was he championship material?

Oh and I just checked and realized, Chris has pretty much fought EVERY prominent fighter of the early-mid 2000s era except BJ Penn and Sanchez.

Last edited:
I personally don't underrate him. They just don't make fighters like Chris anymore..

I wouldn't say underrated at all. I think anybody going into a fight with him knew it was going to be hard one way or another.

EDIT: just wanted to add dude was a doggggg!

I feel like he has been rated just right. History has remembered him for his wars and his style. He was good. Not elite but will be remembered.

Igor Vovchanchyn is someone who is under-rated.

I personally don't underrate him. They just don't make fighters like Chris anymore..

That is true, he would take horrific beatings and he would somehow comeback from them. Occasionally he would win those fights or lose a decision.

Jake Shields is the most underrated fighter in the history of the sport.

Chris was a favourite of mine getting into MMA and watching the UFC. I think he's just one of those older fighters that newer fans or casuals will never know of, he isn't underrated but he isn't exactly known that well either. Like you brought up, it's amazing he was never finished in his career. Only two cut stoppages as you said. He is probably the only man who has fought that competition, retired in the UFC, and never been finished. Not a lot of MMA fighters can say that.

Yes, he is underrated and has unfortunately been largely forgotten. It sucks. Chris was awesome.

I wouldn't say he's underrated, I think people generally rank him where he belongs: a tough, scrappy, well rounded B-to-B+ level fighter. He was never going to win a title (unless he had fought Matt Serra right after he beat GSP), but he could give anyone a tough fight. He was tough as nails and was always fun to watch.

Good fighter, he got out at the right time, just before USADA was implemented.

Close race between Sherk and Shields to me.

Sherk, Shields, Igor, and Murilo mother fuckin Bustamante (my pick for most underrated fighter in history) are probably the top guys when one mentions underrated fighters.

To TS, Lytle was the man. He embodied what being a fighter was. Not an A level athlete, not some new breed shit talker, just a guy who went out to scrap and gave it his all each and every time out. The guy was a warrior through and through and I have nothing but respect for the man.

I was watching old fights and I remember that this dude has fought EVERYBODY!

His list of opponents are, Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, Karo Parisyan, Joe Riggs, Nick Diaz, Thiago Alves and many more but one fought that was epic was his fight with Robbie Lawler.

Robbie knocked him down and on the way down Chris started clapping. It was epic and in his retirement fight, he finished Dan Hardy who was coming off a decision loss to GSP.

One thing to mention is, he had 13-1-1 record in pro boxing and as far as MMA goes, he has never been finished except two cut losses against Joe Riggs and Thaigo Alves which was a decision made by officials and he himself always protested it.

Did Chris have the hardest fights?

Was he championship material?

Oh and I just checked and realized, Chris has pretty much fought EVERY prominent fighter of the early-mid 2000s era except BJ Penn and Sanchez.
Lights Outs the man.

People forget he was also a good professional boxer.

Back