Was Bruce Lee right about no rules stand up? His stance, fencing ideas etc

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Or is a more sport like stance and set of tactics superior to what Bruce Lee recommended

Bruce would have said the groin was too open and the lead weapon (eye jab) too slow (has further to travel) and telegraphed from a kickboxing or muay thai stance

So both the offense and defense of the kickboxing stance etc are under question when it comes to street fighting or 0 rules fighting

75cc753c93b2d47466ef2d1dd1c110ac.jpg

BruceLee-KickingShield.jpg

d338f7b0aeb15abb16c88e7a19c6e072--bruce-lee-family-kung-fu.jpg

e4b13ffc6db8532db578924eb70ce488--jab-bruce-lee.jpg

Certain SEEMS smarter and more effective for when it comes to striking without rules on the street

Last edited:
buakaw-pull-kick.gif

kicks to the back of the leg /side leg nerves rather than to the groin

front-kick.jpg

many stances dont protect the groin

Muay-Thai-Kickboxing-Kennett-Square-Hockessin-Chadds-Ford-Lead-Teep-2.gif

uses teep or side teep instead of side kick

_k2zpQ.gif

low kicks set up with boxing and teeps

Last edited:
Bruce was a theorist and a philosopher. I don't doubt that he was pretty good at what he did, too, but he was not a professional fighter and was not working from the same assumptions that a professional fighter would.

I expect his ideas would be good for self defence against untrained opponents - which is most self defence scenarios.

I do feel that if you want to be competent enough to defend yourself, you have to include hard sparring, and the disciplines with the best sparring tend to be competitive sporting style ones (unless they're point based, which usually, but not always, leads to your sparring to become idealized and somewhat silly).

I do think that the kickboxing or muay Thai stance is optimised to a situation that is not as probable on the street - specifically, being able to use roundhouse kicks. They're effective, but I don't know if they're what I'd want to be throwing on the street. But I tend to favour punching over kicking unlike some other members of this forum, so I'm biased. I'd want a more side-on boxing style stance (which is quite similar to a fencing stance) if I had to fight on the street.

Or is a more sport like stance and set of tactics superior to what Bruce Lee recommended

Bruce would have said the groin was too open and the lead weapon (eye jab) too slow (has further to travel) and telegraphed from a kickboxing or muay thai stance

So both the offense and defense of the kickboxing stance etc are under question when it comes to street fighting or 0 rules fighting

Combo of fencing and boxing would prolly be pretty good.

The downside to "Good" fencing footwork is that you gotta take fencing to learn it, then export it by yourself to another use. It's time consuming.

Fencing setups (for strikes) lack combos, which may or may not matter as much in a confrontation.

@BringBackTRTforFairness

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/fencing-footwork-for-the-complete-striker.585134/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/fencing-and-boxing.2231077/

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-sword-and-the-fist-how-fencing-influenced-fighting

Last edited:
DONT YOU THINK THE WIDE OPEN GROIN IS A BIT OF A LIABILITY? (I KNOW GROIN SHOTS DONT END FIGHTS SOMETIMES BUT SOMETIMES THEY DO AND ONLY IN 1 SHOT)

ALSO ISNT A STANCE NOT OPTIMIZED FOR THE JAB OR EYE JAB A BIT OF A LIABILITY?

Even in pro fights, it's bad. How many "accidental" low blows have we seen?

Muay thai and wrestling are the only combat sport in which the stance is wide open. Most self defense martial art have a more sideway stance: karate, tkd, even boxing.

I train Muay Thai and my stance is extremely wide. I think I'm going to adopt a more boxing stance and even more of a TKD stance in the future.

I mean it might not even cross their mind to low blow you but when you're standing wide open, you're basically asking them to kick you in the balls.

lmao wtf were they trying to demonstrate here?

Bruce Lee is a fraud who spent his entire life theorizing fighting instead of actually doing it. I'd take all his advice with a grain of salt.

The one time he got challenged by Wong Jack Man, it was a mess and Bruce refused a rematch. The entire experience made him rethink his entire outlook on MA and he ditched WC and started implementing boxing/kickboxing/judo into what eventually became JKD.

Muay thai and wrestling are the only combat sport in which the stance is wide open. Most self defense martial art have a more sideway stance: karate, tkd, even boxing.

I train Muay Thai and my stance is extremely wide. I think I'm going to adopt a more boxing stance and even more of a TKD stance in the future.

I mean it might not even cross their mind to low blow you but when you're standing wide open, you're basically asking them to kick you in the balls.

lmao wtf were they trying to demonstrate here?
I heard knees to the groin used to be legal in mt. any idea if that is true?

Teeps to the groin are not legal in the cense that it wont score you points, but they are not penalized since they are considered as an unintentional strike. (teep to the hip is a very common strike).
If you go with a front kick with the shin to the groin, that's a fault...

one way to figure out whether jkd has ever been proven in the ring competitively is to see it sprinkled everywhere in ufc, mma, kickboxing, boxing, and thai boxing. few times, people started utilizing the oblique kick employed by Jon Jones. bruce lee didn't invent the oblique kick but he showed that it's effective. same with lots of low leg kicks that bruce lee heavily encouraged. there's tons of jkd sprinkled everywhere throughout the years of fighting from kickboxing to recent day MMA.

another way to figure out if it's ever been proven by 1 fighter, and I'll be it, the only jkd fighter to ever go out and reign as heavyweight champion of the game was Joe Lewis. An easy way to spot Lewis' JKD is looking at his fights. notice his orthodox stance, if you download his fights and flip the video backwards, he'll switch from orthodox to southpaw. this is when it obviously looks like jkd.

if anyone can teach me how to post gif's of videos or something I'll post some examples

Bruce Lee is a scam and a fraud. I can not believe there is so much discussion on him and Gracie family for example. It is really simple - if you are looking for fighting tips in the history you go first to long history olympic sports such as wrestling and boxing, then for professional sports such as MT and kick boxing, and lastly to lower tier olympic sports such as tkd and judo. You do not find magic in scams such as Bruce Lee or Gracie.

Back