Was Anderson a big PPV draw?

Pierced7681

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The only fights of his I remember being must orders were against Chael, who literally did all the work promoting them.

Not really, until he had his long streak he wasn't wildly popular. He also had some pretty lackluster performances like the one against Maia that turned some people off. If he was American or had the shit-talking/promotion abilities of Conor he would have sold way more PPV's than he did. He still sold pretty well though for having pretty much no promotional qualities other than what he did in the cage.

His epic battle with Damian Maia is truly unforgettable.

Dana is an idiot.....Anderson was a ppv draw before the Vitor fight.

April 18, 2009 Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites UFC 97 650,000
August 8, 2009 Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin (co) UFC 101 850,000
April 10, 2010 Anderson Silva vs. Demian Maia UFC 112 500,000
August 7, 2010 Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen UFC 117 600,000
February 5, 2011 Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort UFC 126 725,000

Gonna have to define "big draw", whats your number?

Dana wishes he still had GSP and Silva. These bums can barely break 300k buys outside of Jon Jones, Conor and Ronda.

Wasn't unbelievable numbers. But the guy sold fights... Seems like the New UFC could use some Matrix Silva...

Don't remember him being one, funny how Dana kept using that phrase "Anderson Silva Money"

Yes, that's why he made Anderson Silva money.

The only fights of his I remember being must orders were against Chael, who literally did all the work promoting them.
LOL haters gonna hate.
It is fun to see he got so many haters triggered to this day, which shows how (un) popular he was. Love him or hate him, everyone wanted to watch his fights. Because they rarely ended in decisions. Actually, it invariably ended in a highlight fashion.

So yes, he was a huge draw. He was one of the reasons for UFC going to Brazil.
He could fill stadiums, same as GSP could (the only other top fighter in the UFC at the time UFC was exponentially growing).

>500k buys for much of his career, I'd say so.

Someone already posted some but here they are again thanks to the wikipedia:

UFC 97 vs Leites - 650k
UFC 101 vs Griffin co-main and BJ vs Kenny main - 850k
UFC 112 vs Maia - 500k
UFC 117 vs Chael - 600k
UFC 126 vs Vitor - 725k
UFC 134 vs Okami - 335k his lowest since Cote
UFC 148 vs Chael 2 - 925k
UFC 153 vs Bonnar - 410k
UFC 162 vs Weidman - 550k
UFC 168 vs Weidman 2 - 1.025 mill
UFC 183 vs Diaz - 650k

So yeah, he did well.

LOL haters gonna hate.
It is fun to see he got so many haters triggered to this day, which shows how (un) popular he was. Love him or hate him, everyone wanted to watch his fights. Because they rarely ended in decisions. Actually, it invariably ended in a highlight fashion.

So yes, he was a huge draw. He was one of the reasons for UFC going to Brazil.
He could fill stadiums, same as GSP could (the only other top fighter in the UFC at the time UFC was exponentially growing).

Definitely not a hater, just wanted to get sherdogs opinion on Anderson’s drawing power.

>500k buys for much of his career, I'd say so.

Someone already posted some but here they are again thanks to the wikipedia:

UFC 97 vs Leites - 650k
UFC 101 vs Griffin co-main and BJ vs Kenny main - 850k
UFC 112 vs Maia - 500k
UFC 117 vs Chael - 600k
UFC 126 vs Vitor - 725k
UFC 134 vs Okami - 335k his lowest since Cote
UFC 148 vs Chael 2 - 925k
UFC 153 vs Bonnar - 410k
UFC 162 vs Weidman - 550k
UFC 168 vs Weidman 2 - 1.025 mill
UFC 183 vs Diaz - 650k

So yeah, he did well.

Pretty impressive, though I’d argue mma was at its peak popularity during this time.

Also no way did Silva Chael 1 only do 600k, that fight was huge everyone wanted to see Chael get an ass whooping for all the shit he talked going into it

Pretty impressive, though I’d argue mma was at its peak popularity during this time.
Sure, but you can't discredit his ppv buys because MMA was doing well, especially if his numbers were almost always consistently around 500k. MMA was doing well in part because of him.

Sure, but it's pretty easy to argue that was heavily influenced by Anderson.
giphy.gif

everyone posting these high ppv numbers arent considering that ppvs at that time were making huge numbers with ANY card, like the non title main event of thiago silva vs rashad evans....

just saying

You think Anderson/Leites would sell nowadays if they were both in their prime?

Do you mean would it sell 650k again?

Yeah, maybe. It wouldn't do bad.

UFC isn't in a low because it simply is. Stars like Anderson, Conor, GSP can change that.

Do you mean would it sell 650k again?

Yeah, maybe. It wouldn't do bad.

UFC isn't in a low because it simply it is. Stars like Anderson, Conor, GSP can change that.

I don’t think it sells 650k, but hey I could be wrong.

Back