Warning Abusive/Fraudulent Muay Thai Gym (P.E. South Africa) | Page 2

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by AndyMaBobs, Oct 25, 2016.

1. AndyMaBobs Green Belt

AndyMaBobs
    Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Thank you Azam & n.diaz4life, you guys get it.

No one who is asking why Knurd didn't leave the gym didn't read the post, because he did leave the gym as the OP clearly details.

Businesses like this shouldn't be allowed to run. I understood "just leave the gym" comments on similar posts when people were asking what they should do about a bad coach, but this is someone who HAS left the gym and is reporting back about threats of serious violence and possibly even fraud. So it makes sense to go public.

I agree with Azam on the mechanic comparison, just leaving the gym and saying nothing when one threatens you with a knife, is ridiculous.

freakyfarley likes this.
  2. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    So there's a cobra kai gym in South Africa huh?

We should come up with a coordinated and well thought out plan to spread the word about this jerk until he is no longer able to get any business. I'm all in if anyone else here thinks this is what needs to be done. This type of stuff seriously makes me sick and chances are he's not as good a fighter as the people he's bullying (his "students") may believe.

3. AndyMaBobs Green Belt

AndyMaBobs
    If you have any ideas then please do inbox me, because I personally don't believe this business should be allowed to run, and it's not slander if he has confirmed his behaviour through the text messages he has sent Knurd. :)

Its interesting you bring up his skills though, because I was looking at videos from the gym on the old facebook page, and the guys are all quite stiff.

4. Paradigm Silver Belt

Paradigm
    I'm just curious as to how Quentin Chong is the head representative of Muay Thai in South Africa. Though I don't know the guy personally, I know a few things:

1) He is a relative of a friend from college.
    2) He trained Randy Couture in standup at some point (unknown as to how long).
    3) He "fought" Buakaw in a strange exhibition...I'm guessing Buakaw got paid big bucks for this:

Hell, Chong isn't even the most famous MT practitioner to come out of South Africa. A friend of mine from the MT scene here in LA (Paulo Tocha) is far more famous and relevant to Muay Thai than Chong...if you don't know who that is, you'd probably recognize the guy he played:

[​IMG]

Yeah, a little off topic but just had to chime in. Something about Chong just doesn't seem right but again...I don't know the dude.

As far as the gym and owner in the OP, that sucks...someone needs to dojo storm that place lol.

5. AndyMaBobs Green Belt

AndyMaBobs
    Yeah I thought there was something off about him because I saw that fight too, as far as I'm aware though he has a muay thai record and championship wins outside of that weird exhibition fight. That being said, if he is the official representative, then even if he himself is sketchy he should still be able to tell us more about Vevers and whether or not he was ever appointed.

Honestly South African Muay Thai is just a shit show in general.

6. Paradigm Silver Belt

Paradigm
    Yeah...well, not sure how much of his background is true or not but he did at least hold pads for Randy C at least once. You can find that pic on Google. My friend put up an album of pics (back in the MySpace days lol) of them going to Big John McCarthy's gym out here in Valencia and meeting up with Randy so that much is true.

Just a lot of weirdness overall...if you read his wiki, someone threw in that he had a hair transplant or something to battle his thinning hairline lol.

I'd honestly never heard of the guy until my friend and then years later here with the weird Buakaw thing.

Either way, hopefully he could shed some light on this gym owner and his bullshit.

I wonder if he told the guy to "bow to your sensei."

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  7. Gazwald Spack Belt

Gazwald
    Coach sounds like a sociopathic douche. Fair play for trying to warn people.

freakyfarley and AndyMaBobs like this.
  8. AndyMaBobs Green Belt

AndyMaBobs
    UPDATE:

It seems that the gym is no longer running, we're not 100% sure but at the very least it appears that the gym may have closed.

9. 98bird Green Belt

98bird
    DAMN! The next time I'm in South Africa, ima stay clear of this place. How about Timbuktu, any place there to worry about?