Ward vs Kovalev part 2 (Discussion)

I viewed it the same regarding Kov's plan. Ward was the one who changed, sat on his punches early to the head then went all out to the body.

The second last round I'm sure Ward hurt him with a head shot near the end. Last round you could clearly tell Kov was different.

The left hooks Ward landed took a toll I think. There was one where Ward landed a beautiful left hook off a feint. I was surprised a fighter of Kovalev's caliber didn't adjust more. I thought it would be a more of a back and forth chess match but Ward figured Kovalev out and it was only a matter of time.
FWIW I saw some on the line blows, but no really clear low blows. Was also weird at one point that Ward was looking at the ref whilst Kovalev protested - Ward could have been throwing bombs at that point (protect yourself at all times)

I remember that as well. I'm sure people would be bitching about it if he did, but Ward had every right to unload while Kovalev was protesting with his guard down since the ref never called a break.

In the end of the day, Kovalev has a small punching arsenal.
He can't hook off the jab and he can't fight inside at all. He basically beats people with one - two combinations.
Ward was starting to take over.

Having said that the stoppage was atrocious. They were even in rounds and then Kovalev was stopped by repeated illegal shots.
Ward deserved to get disqualified more than Rigo.

The finishing blow was clearly on the nuts.

Last edited:
Shame this fight is marred in controversy. Ward was starting to take over but you can't pretend the low blows weren't a major factor in this fight.

Shame this fight is marred in controversy. Ward was starting to take over but you can't pretend the low blows weren't a major factor in this fight.

they weren't. Kov was looking for a way out. That last low blow Kovalev didn't return a single punch in 30 seconds. He was hurt, mentally and physically.

what really hurt Kovalev were the check hooks all night, and the straight cross on Kov's jaw in the 8th.

they weren't. Kov was looking for a way out. That last low blow Kovalev didn't return a single punch in 30 seconds. He was hurt, mentally and physically.

what really hurt Kovalev were the check hooks all night, and the straight cross on Kov's jaw in the 8th.
Dude go see the replay I posted above.
The fight was literally stopped because of that low blow.
Weeks should have separated them and give Kovalev some time to reconcile with his family.

Controversial, sure, but I don't think anyone can really contest that Ward had his number at the end and was on his way to beating, and likely stopping, Kovalev, regardless of low blows, who was just physically and mentally breaking.

Ward got two victories in matches where he should have an loss and disqualification.

Controversial, sure, but I don't think anyone can really contest that Ward had his number at the end and was on his way to beating, and likely stopping, Kovalev, regardless of low blows, who was just physically and mentally breaking.
No one contested that Ward was starting to take over. That doesn't change the fact that the fight was in the end determined by an illegal shot.

And plus, you never know. Kovalev in the next rounds might have caught Ward with something big as well.

No one contested that Ward was starting to take over. That doesn't change the fact that the fight was in the end determined by an illegal shot.

The illegal shot wasn't the whole sum of the fight, and so it wasn't what "determined" the outcome. The legal headshot that got Kovalev going in the 8th was much more impactful.

The illegal shot wasn't the whole sum of the fight, and so it wasn't what "determined" the outcome. The legal headshot that got Kovalev going in the 8th was much more impactful.
It wasn't the sum. It was the end of the fight. It was the blow that TKOed Kovalev.

Dude go see the replay I posted above.
The fight was literally stopped because of that low blow.
Weeks should have separated them and give Kovalev some time to reconcile with his family.

The question isn't whether Kovalev was hurt by the alleged low blow,..its whether the alleged low blow made a material difference in the outcome. Kovalev was a beaten fighter at that point.

Elite fighters don't react to low blows the way Kovalev was last night. His spirit was totally broken. And was he protesting the stoppage? Not really. He knew.

Didn't read the thread, so I might get flamed as a Kov fan in this one, but...

OK, all the BS last night made me tired after the short fights. I was nodding off during intros and went to bed. Just watched. I was pulling for Kov, but was tracking with Lederman on scoring and in my eyes, Andre Ward just won a fight via nut shots. I mean, ref said the trunks were good and he was allowed to hit in the balls and even below the "K" on Kov's shorts over and over and over again. Also, I noticed Ward was crying to the ref in every single round about something. That was bullshit. And why wouldn't at least give a standing 8 at that point rather than stopping it? Looked like a work, to be honest. Never saw so many low blows following a warning like that. Half a dozen clean, low shots took their toll, IMO. The head shot did hurt Kov bad, but the low blows and the stoppage tarnished that bout. Shit card.
Ward takes him out with three low blows.
"GO BACK DOWN THERE!!!" Ward saying in the post-fight. Yeah, keep crackin' him in the nuts while crying to the ref about everything every round.
Lost respect for SOG tonight. What little remained after all his other diva shit over the last few years. Fuck him. That was beyond dirty and he could have had a point taken, as opposed to Tony Weeks waving it off. That seemed shady as hell as well, TBH.

That was garbage, and the one who really got robbed was me for the PPV. TKO via dick shots. Amazing.
lol

I agree with this (first post in the thread after the Rigo fight that I've read) about that crushing shot in the 8th, but Ward went low as fuck at least a half dozen times (maybe ten times) after he got warned for the "accidental" low blow earlier. It's like it was his game plan. Low blows and constant complaining to Tony Weeks over nothing starting in round 1.

And pretty hard to try to hold and hang on/recover when Ward is allowed to double and triple up on nut shots. And that's what he was doing and that's how he ended it. With illegal low blows.

And why wave it off? No 8-count? Kind of a stinky mess of a fight. Seems like I watched something shady. Like giving Rigo the KO and saying it was clearly before the bell. (???)
Shit event overall as far as legitimacy.

The beltline is fair game. There weren't that many illegal shots at all.

this really awkward. lol.

giphy.gif

Round 6 Gif

giphy.gif

This (outside of his conditioning) was the beginning of the end for Kovalev. Normally he gets that clean shot and it's lights out. I think that took a lot of his confidence away

Full fight Video for yall

8:15 mark shows Weeks say that the white belt line on Kova is good.

Back