Ward vs. Calzaghe... who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters

RudimarChute

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Calzaghe would take over after the opening rounds, he’s too busy for Ward. Calzaghe by relatively easy UD in my opinion.

Ward does what Hopkins did but has the stamina to go 12 rounds.

Ward wins a comfortable decision.

I don’t think it was a stamina issue. Hopkins was finding the right straight early but Calzaghe figured him out and got his rhythm and was landing left straights at will.

I think it would look similar to that fight actually. Ward winning the first few rounds and Calzaghe finding his rhythm to the decision.

I'm not necessarily convinced of that.

I think that maybe the only weak point you can point to in Ward's career (other than a relative lack of power) is that he did take rounds off. Not saying he had no stamina, but he wasn't Pacman either. Let's also remember that Calzaghe was pretty far from his prime by the time he faced Hopkins: he was struggling with cocaine addiction, weight cutting, and several hand injuries; once a vaunted puncher, his power was gone and he turned into slapzaghe to make up for it.

I think Calzaghe's ability to adjust, as well as his superior hand speed and workrate make for what would be a drawish fight between the two. Ward wins when its inside, but Calzaghe's flurries as Ward comes in and out makes Ward pay for it, if not in damage, then at least in points and his awkwardness makes the outside game tougher for Ward than he anticipates.

If this fight is in Wales, then Calzaghe takes it by a decision that's wider than it should be, but otherwise, I'd expect a split either way.

With that said, Ward has had the better career.

I don’t think it was a stamina issue. Hopkins was finding the right straight early but Calzaghe figured him out and got his rhythm and was landing left straights at will.

I think it would look similar to that fight actually. Ward winning the first few rounds and Calzaghe finding his rhythm to the decision.
Calzaghe would never get a rhythm and keep it going imo.

Ward takes away everyones strong points.

I'm not necessarily convinced of that.

I think that maybe the only weak point you can point to in Ward's career (other than a relative lack of power) is that he did take rounds off. Not saying he had no stamina, but he wasn't Pacman either. Let's also remember that Calzaghe was pretty far from his prime by the time he faced Hopkins: he was struggling with cocaine addiction, weight cutting, and several hand injuries; once a vaunted puncher, his power was gone and he turned into slapzaghe to make up for it.

I think Calzaghe's ability to adjust, as well as his superior hand speed and workrate make for what would be a drawish fight between the two. Ward wins when its inside, but Calzaghe's flurries as Ward comes in and out makes Ward pay for it, if not in damage, then at least in points and his awkwardness makes the outside game tougher for Ward than he anticipates.

If this fight is in Wales, then Calzaghe takes it by a decision that's wider than it should be, but otherwise, I'd expect a split either way.

With that said, Ward has had the better career.
Eh. I think a lot of excuses get made for Calzaghe. He was fighting a 44 year old.

Calzaghe would get the points if Ward stayed outside, but he wouldnt stay there. Itd be inside and ugly. Hed probably get tagged up coming in but theres basically zero fear of power so its not going to do much good.

It would be close either way. I'd probably favour Ward to edge it.

Man...

Calzaghe gets seriously underappreciated.

. He carries guys late always finishing strong.
. He has an awkward rhythm
. He fights at a frustratingly high pace
. He punches from weird angles

He doesn't need to hurt Ward, he just needs to outwork him.

Saying Calzaghe can't get a rhythm going is a lie from a statistical standpoint; he always slips into gear at some point. That has never not happened. Ward loses rounds when he can get outworked, and that has happened. Ward would probably start better, but it's hard to say because of Calzaghe's workrate. Both guys warm up to their opponents and finish strong. Ward is a strong inside fighter but Calzaghe finds ways to slap in points.

Anyone saying anything other than, "it would be close, you may as well flip a coin" is just a shamless fan boy for one way or the other. I shake my head at those extremists. Shaking my damn head. Some of you know better. I posted with many of you on this forum for years.

Edit: some of my raised eyebrows comes from past recollections in previous threads so I withdraw some of my initial disdain. Apologies.

Calzaghe.

He's like a bigger Manny Pacquiao.

Yes, Ward got all of his opponents under control, but none of them is remotely close to Calzaghe.

8-4 Decision

Eh. I think a lot of excuses get made for Calzaghe. He was fighting a 44 year old.

I dont deny that it would have been a different story if Cal had met Hopkins and Jones 5 years earlier. But that 44 year old was good enough to defeat undefeated Kelly Pavlik later that year.

Calzaghe intimidated Hopkins over the course of the fight.

Ward is not much of a fighter either. He'd become gun shy against Calzaghe too.

I would roll with ward in this one. He has a very solid history of making very good boxers look like shit. Punch volume isn’t going to be enough here and I don’t think joe can truly hurt ward. Ward dec

Close decision for Ward. As usual SOG does what he needs to do to nullify his opponent's strengths, and yes, it does involve holding and a bit of dirt.

Man...

Calzaghe gets seriously underappreciated.

. He carries guys late always finishing strong.
. He has an awkward rhythm
. He fights at a frustratingly high pace
. He punches from weird angles

He doesn't need to hurt Ward, he just needs to outwork him.

Saying Calzaghe can't get a rhythm going is a lie from a statistical standpoint; he always slips into gear at some point. That has never not happened. Ward loses rounds when he can get outworked, and that has happened. Ward would probably start better, but it's hard to say because of Calzaghe's workrate. Both guys warm up to their opponents and finish strong. Ward is a strong inside fighter but Calzaghe finds ways to slap in points.

Anyone saying anything other than, "it would be close, you may as well flip a coin" is just a shamless fan boy for one way or the other. I shake my head at those extremists. Shaking my damn head. Some of you know better. I posted with many of you on this forum for years.

Edit: some of my raised eyebrows comes from past recollections in previous threads so I withdraw some of my initial disdain. Apologies.
I said he wouldnt keep his rhythm. He would have his moments and win some rounds sure. Ward usually gives up some rounds while calculating the disection.

Not sure how many styles and how many times Ward has to shut someones best game down before people realize that hell do it to pretty much everyone.

Calzaghe doesnt pose a ton that gives Ward trouble. That work rate of Calzaghes goes right to shit when Ward has him chest to chest and mauls him.

I dont deny that it would have been a different story if Cal had met Hopkins and Jones 5 years earlier. But that 44 year old was good enough to defeat undefeated Kelly Pavlik later that year.

Calzaghe intimidated Hopkins over the course of the fight.

Ward is not much of a fighter either. He'd become gun shy against Calzaghe too.
Sure but you cant say Calzaghe was 36 like some disadvantage or him being washed up when hes fighting someone 44.

Ward is not much of a fighter.....? Same guy who just traded with Kovalev after getting knocked on his ass? Gotcha.

Joe is overrated and was a B+ fighter that never fought a great in their prime. Ward beats him

Back