Ward Proved Doubters Wrong

He just beat Kova down. Embrassing how Kova quit like that. Ward just jumped up in ATG status and stays at number 2 on the P4P list.

I hope Ward fights Superman next

Yup I ate tons of crow lol yet again

Thankfully I didn't bet

Those guys aren't household names in their own household.....he beat what was offered to him now but all time great is really stretching it.

Look, I'm not gonna pretend as if I dont think Ward did tons of illegal shit in the second Kova fight, and stoppe dhim with low blows.

BUT

The guys listed above were the biggest and best in their divisions when Ward beat them. He was going to get beat the fuck up by Kessler, and..............

what kind of ATG are you talking about? Top 10, Top 5? Ward is definitely Top 50 right now.
The eye test of skill and ability to figure shit out, does match-up well against most in the ATG category for SMW and LHWs. Ward gives Prime Roy fits for example....And Im a big RJJ guy.
Gonna have to disagree w/Jones....he was on a whole different level than Ward.

Look, I'm not gonna pretend as if I dont think Ward did tons of illegal shit in the second Kova fight, and stoppe dhim with low blows.

BUT

The guys listed above were the biggest and best in their divisions when Ward beat them. He was going to get beat the fuck up by Kessler, and..............
That's what I'm saying,he beat the best that was available for him to fight......but that doesn't make him an all time great

That's what I'm saying,he beat the best that was available for him to fight......but that doesn't make him an all time great

What does being an all-time great mean here? If the criteria is top 20-30 all time, then he's probably not an ATG just yet, but that's pretty stringent criteria for the pre-eminent individual sport of the 20th century which has existed in a recognizably modern form since at least the early 20th century. He arguably has the best resume at 168 pounds ever, and now he's the man at 175 after stopping the man there (who was also top 3 or 4 p4p at the time).

What does being an all-time great mean here? If the criteria is top 20-30 all time, then he's probably not an ATG just yet, but that's pretty stringent criteria for the pre-eminent individual sport of the 20th century which has existed in a recognizably modern form since at least the early 20th century. He arguably has the best resume at 168 pounds ever, and now he's the man at 175 after stopping the man there (who was also top 3 or 4 p4p at the time).
I would definitely consider him near the top of current p4p lists but atg....there is a lot of boxers to consider when making that claim.

I would definitely consider him near the top of current p4p lists but atg....there is a lot of boxers to consider when making that claim.

When people use the term ATG it often just means that they're considered one of the best in their era or one of the better fighters in the history of their weight class. SMW doesn't have a very long history, but there are two fighters who you can put on equal footing with Ward there, and he's arguably more accomplished than both at the weight (Calzaghe and Jones). Add in that he stepped up to LHW and beat a guy as well regarded as Kovalev, and you're talking about a special fighter. If one were to consider fighters who started their careers after 2000, I think you'd probably have to say he's clearly the greatest. That's getting into pretty significant territory there. I guess it all comes down to how you define all-time great, but just judging how it's typically used, I think Ward definitely qualifies.

If you dont consider Ward a great youre an idiot. Its that simple.

If you put him in the same company as Hagler,Hearns or Leonard you are a fucking retard.It's that simple.
Ward would beat most of your nostalgia. Hes an incredible talent across the board.

Ward would beat most of your nostalgia. Hes an incredible talent across the board.
Not those 3....not saying saying he doesn't have talent or isn't p4p right now but he's not as great as people want him to be.

Not those 3....not saying saying he doesn't have talent or isn't p4p right now but he's not as great as people want him to be.
Ward would smoke Hagler and Hearns.

Hes in the ranks of ATGs as it is and hes still going.

Ward would smoke Hagler and Hearns.

Hes in the ranks of ATGs as it is and hes still going.
giphy.gif

Id bow out also if I had no argument.

Lol at people questioning Ward's greatness. He hasn't lost a fight since '97 or something. He has wins over Abraham, Froch, Kessler, Kov x2, Dawson, plus several other very good but not great fighters, and a gold medal in the Olympics.

He's one of the greats at 168lbs and showed he can step up to beat the likes of Dawson and Kovalev up past 168. Guy is a great fighter, first ballot hof'er, if you can't handle that, you're hating.

Gonna have to disagree w/Jones....he was on a whole different level than Ward.
I said Fits...Andre is a pain to box.....But I didnt say he'd beat Roy.
Even Montell Griffin gave Prime Roy fits, not unreasonable to think Andre wouldnt...

**patiently awaiting, "but Roy knocked Griffin out." Replies**

Back