War Room OT Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annoyed how that ended. The knee KO was awesome but Overeem just ran a circle around Hunt so he had his back to the cage wall and Hunt just let him do that. He just got beat on for the second round against that wall. You can't set Overeem up to push you against it again

Annoyed how that ended. The knee KO was awesome but Overeem just ran a circle around Hunt so he had his back to the cage wall and Hunt just let him do that. He just got beat on for the second round against that wall. You can't set Overeem up to push you against it again
Yeah it was a bad call.
My heart! It hurts :(
Props to ol Reem though he fought smart and got er done.

Kelly needs to develop a jab. (Still did well)

Glad Kelly won.

Kelly needs to develop a jab. (Still did well)

Consistently had a better striking position, which allowed him to overcome a lot of physical disadvantages. Given the distance, position, and the fact that it was a southpaw/orthodox matchup, I don't think he had much use for a jab, but I don't remember him much before last night (looking at his record, I know I've watched multiple events he's fought on but he didn't stick for me) so it could have been an issue in other fights. I don't see his game working against the top of the division as it stands.

Weird. I thought he was likable coaching against Rampage. The fight was a dud, but I think it's the fault of the loser (what Rashad was doing was working and he had no reason to do anything different, but Rampage needed to get desperate). It was kind of the era of takedown and do nothing, too. Lots of good fighters took embarrassing losses that way. Jon Fitch was No. 5 on Sherdog.com's p4p list, and a lot of people in the forums were defending that.

Glad that that's over (and Rashad adapted to the end of it). I think it's kind of been memory-holed.
I remember that. It sort of made sense in that WW is a tough division and he had only lost to one of the top p4p fighters up until Hendricks' KO over him. But still, based off the actual performances it was a bit much.

I remember that. It sort of made sense in that WW is a tough division and he had only lost to one of the top p4p fighters up until Hendricks' KO over him. But still, based off the actual performances it was a bit much.

I never thought it made sense. He had only the nice-looking W/L record, but the only time he was in against elite competition during that span, he was not remotely competitive. Against so-so competition, he wasn't looking super impressive. It's that people were widely convinced (and I blame Breen more than anyone else for this) that blanketing was the most-effective form of fighting, and Fitch was a good example of it. I wouldn't have had him in my top 20 p4p. One of the funniest arguments I can remember was noted fraud Luca Fury telling me I hate the UFC because I thought that Koscheck was better than Fitch.

I never thought it made sense. He had only the nice-looking W/L record, but the only time he was in against elite competition during that span, he was not remotely competitive. Against so-so competition, he wasn't looking super impressive. It's that people were widely convinced (and I blame Breen more than anyone else for this) that blanketing was the most-effective form of fighting, and Fitch was a good example of it. I wouldn't have had him in my top 20 p4p. One of the funniest arguments I can remember was noted fraud Luca Fury telling me I hate the UFC because I thought that Koscheck was better than Fitch.

Oh fuck, I totally forgot about Luca, I wonder if he's had his kneecaps broken yet. I think Fitch put in a great performance against Alves, but other than that it was just him being a little better than his opponents at one thing. He seems like an alright guy and it's nice to see him doing well, but he was never a great. I wish the eye injury hadn't happened in Kos-GSP, that was one of the few GSP title defenses I really got excited for.

By the way, as someone born and raised in Hawaii, it's great seeing Holloway coming into his own, but it also kind of highlights how the rest of the local products are slumping. I don't really like Brown, other than when he KOed Overeem, who I hate, and losing to Derrick Lewis is a big step back at HW. Still a lot of money to be made as a "kill or be killed" fighter at HW, but that's a rough career path. Watching BJ get wrecked over and over has actually soured my general love of MMA to a degree, I need some new heroes.

Funny that yours is the 808th response in the thread.

Oh fuck, I totally forgot about Luca, I wonder if he's had his kneecaps broken yet. I think Fitch put in a great performance against Alves, but other than that it was just him being a little better than his opponents at one thing. He seems like an alright guy and it's nice to see him doing well, but he was never a great. I wish the eye injury hadn't happened in Kos-GSP, that was one of the few GSP title defenses I really got excited for.

Agreed.

By the way, as someone born and raised in Hawaii, it's great seeing Holloway coming into his own, but it also kind of highlights how the rest of the local products are slumping. I don't really like Brown, other than when he KOed Overeem, who I hate, and losing to Derrick Lewis is a big step back at HW. Still a lot of money to be made as a "kill or be killed" fighter at HW, but that's a rough career path. Watching BJ get wrecked over and over has actually soured my general love of MMA to a degree, I need some new heroes.

When the UFC was struggling, the Hawaiian fan base was one of the most devoted in the world (I remember watching SuperBrawl tapes and everyone buzzing about Jay R. Palmer--not as a great or even good fighter but as someone you had to see), but, yeah, that time has passed. But Holloway is going to be one of the best fighters in the sport p4p over the next 10 years, and he's just about there now.

Agreed.

When the UFC was struggling, the Hawaiian fan base was one of the most devoted in the world (I remember watching SuperBrawl tapes and everyone buzzing about Jay R. Palmer--not as a great or even good fighter but as someone you had to see), but, yeah, that time has passed. But Holloway is going to be one of the best fighters in the sport p4p over the next 10 years, and he's just about there now.

Haha, that is a a funny coincidence, 808 represent. I truly hope Holloway can continue as he has, he has an excellent mix of ferocity and technique that I haven't seen in a while. I used to worry he wasn't well rounded enough and his fight IQ wasn't there yet, but now I'm all-in. I love Aldo, but he definitely isn't the killer he once was.

Koscheck was certainly the better wrestler and I don't know that Fitch could ever really deal with someone who has better wrestling than him when that's his bread and butter despite him being not really that great at it.

+1 for Holloway. I remember thinking "who is this kid they're throwing to Poirier?" Watched his fights from Hawaii that were up on YT and was hooked by his fighting spirit and his uncanny gifts despite having no skills. He has developed so well and now has an adult physique. Favorite guy at the lower weights for years now.

+1 for Holloway. I remember thinking "who is this kid they're throwing to Poirier?" Watched his fights from Hawaii that were up on YT and was hooked by his fighting spirit and his uncanny gifts despite having no skills. He has developed so well and now has an adult physique. Favorite guy at the lower weights for years now.

Despite the recent setback (and the fact that I'm on the fence about Max's fight with Aldo), I think we'll see Bektic vs. Holloway for a belt someday pretty soon.

soccer, much like baseball is much better when there live and inebriated

17103599_10158496402780314_6229657420584322740_n.jpg

soccer, much like baseball is much better when there live and inebriated

17103599_10158496402780314_6229657420584322740_n.jpg

I hate baseball and agree it's only good live but I find that's because people are enjoying everything but the game. I went to a low league soccer game once and our team accidentally scored the other team a goal. It was hilarious

Agreed.

I remember some of those old ROTR dvds, there would be fistfights in the crowd that the camera would pan away from the actual ring to show you.

I hate baseball and agree it's only good live but I find that's because people are enjoying everything but the game. I went to a low league soccer game once and our team accidentally scored the other team a goal. It was hilarious

Yeah, i can't get into baseball -- even live and in person. My father- in-law has some great seats for the Jays, it's cool to see the movement in the pitch and to try to read what the scouts and statisticians are jotting down. Other than that, i just find it mundane -- even with the crowd so into it (every attractive girl in Toronto is a Jay fan)

Went to Barcelona for a conference recently and went to a FC Barca game (went last year too) and it's a totally different vibe than a North American Sporting event. No music, no real pageantry but the crowds are way more enthusiastic and entertaining.

Last edited:
My work colleague from SA seems to think Mugabe is dead. I cant find jack shit on it. Are these south africans aware of fake news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back