War Room Lounge v7: Lead is a Totalitarian Monster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody's performance in 3 billboards was fucking fantastic
My favorite of his (Granted, I haven't seen any of the new Apes movies or Zombieland) was Out of the Furnace. He plays the creepy inbred Appalachia dude perfectly.

Say what you will about Tarantino, but nobody has his talent for shooting feet and bloodspatters.

I have shit taste though and will go see Pacific Rim 2 soon.
I grew up watching Japanese cartoons that my mom got from her sister as a kid... which means I basically watched all of the old school Gundam shows BEFORE Toonami even existed.

I will see Pacific Rim 2 in theaters and probably watch it once a year to jerk off to giant robots beating the fuck out of things.

You'd be hard pressed to find any acclaimed director as diverse, and consistent.

Wilder immediately comes to mind: noir classics Double Indemnity and Sunset Blvd., a great farce in Some Like it Hot, a great romantic comedy in Sabrina, a very different kind of comedy (not as funny, more powerful) in the Apartment (top 10 all-time movie, IMO), a kind of funny POW drama in Stalag 17, a very good drama about alcoholism in the Lost Weekend (Best Picture winner), a noirish courtroom drama in Witness for the Prosecution, etc.

Say what you will about Tarantino, but nobody has his talent for shooting feet and bloodspatters.

I think generally, he's great at making scenes of people talking *visually* interesting.

My favorite of his (Granted, I haven't seen any of the new Apes movies or Zombieland) was Out of the Furnace. He plays the creepy inbred Appalachia dude perfectly.

I grew up watching Japanese cartoons that my mom got from her sister as a kid... which means I basically watched all of the old school Gundam shows BEFORE Toonami even existed.

I will see Pacific Rim 2 in theaters and probably watch it once a year to jerk off to giant robots beating the fuck out of things.
You gotta watch zombieland

I agree Basterds was a high point. Django was fine though, good fun and visually interesting, weird story and characters.

Kill Bill was really hard for me to watch too, not sure why. It seems like a good movie, just not my thing.

I'm reading Thomas Pynchon's Vineland now, and it seems to be a major influence on Kill Bill. Going to have to rewatch after I'm done.

I really liked Pacific Rim 1. I'm concerned that the second won't be as good. I like Del Toro. The new director's big thing was Spartacus which makes me worrird this might wind up being entirely exploitive schlock, instead of lovingly made schlock by a director who loves Mecha animes. DeKnight had an interview in which he said the right things, but we will have to see.

Will do. I just hate zombie shit, overblown/overdone IMO

"Zombieland" probably won't convert you then. Woody is the lone bright spot in that overrated trash.

Hope you like Jesse Eisenberg at his most Eisenbergiest.

Will do. I just hate zombie shit, overblown/overdone IMO

Yeah, I'm not a zombie movie fan for the same reasons, but Zombieland is the rare exception. Funny, stylish, and entertaining. Plus it has a GOAT as-themselves celebrity cameo.

"Zombieland" probably won't convert you then. Woody is the lone bright spot in that overrated trash.

Hope you like Jesse Eisenberg at his most Eisenbergiest.
It's worth it for " the cameo " alone

I'm reading Thomas Pynchon's Vineland now, and it seems to be a major influence on Kill Bill. Going to have to rewatch after I'm done.
Not familiar with that. Didn't realize you had a thing for old films, cool.

Not familiar with that. Didn't realize you had a thing for old films, cool.

One character saves someone's life, and the guy gives him a kind of business card that he can use when he needs to get out of a jam. The guy who handed the card off has a hot blond ninja partner who has mastered this death-touch technique (the Vibrating Palm), later tries to fit in to regular society and have a boring life before her past drags her back, and she has a discussion about Superman/Clark Kent's identity. Some other little things. It's not the same story or anything, but that's a big part of it.

I'd say I love movies, period. New, old, in-between.

back on team Tesla baby. Fuck Boeing. I am bargain hunting. Tesla at 302, I will try that. Somebody on Twitter told Musk that if he was "the man" he would remove his companies accounts from FB and he did. lol.

During a tweetstorm, Elon Musk has removed both of his companies’ Facebook pages after being challenged to do so by a few of his followers. The pages of both SpaceX and Tesla are now inactive. Each had around 2.6 million followers.

Musk was answering a flurry of tweets this afternoon when he responded to one from Signal’s Brian Acton, co-founder of the Facebook-owned WhatsApp, that contained thehashtag #deletefacebook. “What’s Facebook?” Musk queried. Afterward, a follower told Musk he should delete SpaceX’s Facebook page if Musk was “the man.” Musk claimed he didn’t even know it existed and then said he would, probably in an attempt to preserve his “the man” status.

musk.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/23/...a-and-spacex-facebook-pages-twitter-challenge

I don't think he likes Zuckerberg. Me either.

@Prime Rib

Trump is really talking up defense today. lol. I just sold Boeing. He better not mention them now.

Musk is no better or worse than Zuckerberg, who is no better or worse than any other private tycoon. Actually, maybe marginally better.

Yeah this spending bill is good for that sector.

I think Tesla is a solid bet BTW.

302 is nice. If it goes much lower it is in trouble. When I first saw the headline that Musk shut down Tesla and Space X's Facebook pages I was worried. Thought he may be going into hiding. But that's not the reason. He is just kicking Zuckerberg while he is down and I love it. lol

302 is nice. If it goes much lower it is in trouble. When I first saw the headline that Musk shut down Tesla and Space X's Facebook pages I was worried. Thought he may be going into hiding. But that's not the reason. He is just kicking Zuckerberg while he is down and I love it. lol

That is some Boss shit from Musk. Fuck Zuck. Are you looking long term with Tesla or just hoping you found the bottom for a quick buck?

Musk is no better or worse than Zuckerberg, who is no better or worse than any other private tycoon. Actually, maybe marginally better.

One of my beef's with Zuckerberg is he doesn't see the existential threat of AI. We should be worried about creating too smart things. Musk said it is a bigger danger than nukes. Hawking said same thing. Both these guys are negativists about the future. Zuckerberg is a naive fool. He can't even control his own current algorithms.

Hawking was such a negativist. Jesus. Aliens are gonna attack us. AI is gonna kill us. His last words were something about humanity being wiped out. lol. We need people like that around. Instead of Steven Pinker going around and telling us how great the world is and how ethical we are now. That is nonsense. If government goes down, shit will look like The Walking Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back