War Room OT Discussion v5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? That is a lie. He shows trading patterns and helps people out with basics. His pick this week was JNUG. Look it up. Up 14% just today.
Starting to think we're talking about 2 different people now. Dude I am talking about never even mentioned stocks, was all about expanding social media shit to become one of those quasi celebrities.

You've all combined stock trading discussion/tips and social media celebrities.

It's the perfect storm of things I don't give a fuck about.
Bullshit.

Follow some IG fitness girls and get back to me.

Zero chance of this. He'll claim his job won't let him.

Cuz surely if he is a charlatan, then anybody, especially the great economic mind Jack Savage, should be able to replicate his results at least.

You've all combined stock trading discussion/tips and social media celebrities.

It's the perfect storm of things I don't give a fuck about.

Stock trading is like people. It is the wisdom of crowds. Predicting the herd. A grand game of chess worldwide. I love that scene from Bobby Fischer. Never play the board, always the man. You gotta beat the man playing the board. I am your opponent. BEAT ME.

Vinnie: He didn't teach you how to win, he taught you how not to lose. That's nothing to be proud of. You're playing not to lose, Josh. You've got to risk losing. You've got to risk everything. You've got to go to the edge of defeat. That's where you want to be, boy - on the edge of defeat.

Josh Waitzkin: But...

Vinnie: But what? Play. Never play the board, always the man. You've gotta play the man *playing* the board. Play *me*. I'm your opponent, you have to beat *me*. Not the board, beat *me*.

Stock trading is like people. It is the wisdom of crowds. Predicting the herd. A grand game of chess worldwide. I love that scene from Bobby Fischer. Never play the board, always the man. You gotta beat the man playing the board. I am your opponent. BEAT ME.

Vinnie: He didn't teach you how to win, he taught you how not to lose. That's nothing to be proud of. You're playing not to lose, Josh. You've got to risk losing. You've got to risk everything. You've got to go to the edge of defeat. That's where you want to be, boy - on the edge of defeat.

Josh Waitzkin: But...

Vinnie: But what? Play. Never play the board, always the man. You've gotta play the man *playing* the board. Play *me*. I'm your opponent, you have to beat *me*. Not the board, beat *me*.

If I'm being honest, stock trading has always seemed like something that would be pretty easy to be good at using basic sense (and data on the matter seems to cut against the qualifications of so-called market experts), and I'm fairly confident I could both make good gains and get some enjoyment out of it.

But it's an arena that I think is pretty loathsome, and I don't have any desire to get into it. There are plenty of ways to get intellectual gratification. And if you're a gambling junkie, sports betting would seem to me to be considerably harder and yield the same type of enjoyment

Just imo. Draw a horizontal line. Now draw a line that goes up from it at an angle- any appreciable angle, really. Then squiggle your pencil up and down kinda randomly, but along that line.

Pretty easy to see how so many individual people delude themselves into thinking they are somehow brilliant for riding that line. Easy to see how people would develop superstitious ideas about the line and mistake it for wisdom or folly.

If I'm being honest, stock trading has always seemed like something that would be pretty easy to be good at using basic sense (and data on the matter seems to cut against the qualifications of so-called market experts), and I'm fairly confident I could both make good gains and get some enjoyment out of it.

But it's an arena that I think is pretty loathsome, and I don't have any desire to get into it. There are plenty of ways to get intellectual gratification. And if you're a gambling junkie, sports betting would seem to me to be considerably harder and yield the same type of enjoyment

I said the same thing about being a football punter. It looks easy. If you thought you could make easy money, why wouldn't you do it? You would be fucking over greedy capitalists.

Sports betting is largely illegal in the US. You know what is even harder that sports betting? Scratch off tickets. Maybe you should try them.

Just imo. Draw a horizontal line. Now draw a line that goes up from it at an angle- any appreciable angle, really. Then squiggle your pencil up and down kinda randomly, but along that line.

Pretty easy to see how so many individual people delude themselves into thinking they are somehow brilliant for riding that line. Easy to see how people would develop superstitious ideas about the line and mistake it for wisdom or folly.

How is real data pseuodscience? And he is still rich and his predictions are good.

You could say the same thing about science. Real lines don't exist. We carve up the world and say X or Y about it. The universe is sliced up into temporal and spatial frames. That is a totally artificial creation. Contradiction itself is artificial as it requires a thinking thing to create logic to contradict. Contradictions do not exist.

Where does a point exist? It has zero dimensions, so where does it exist? Points and dimensions are pseudoscience. Fake lines.

How is real data pseuodscience? And he is still rich and his predictions are good.

You could say the same thing about science. Real lines don't exist. We carve up the world and say X or Y about it. The universe is sliced up into temporal and spatial frames. That is a totally artificial creation. Contradiction itself is artificial as it requires a thinking thing to create logic to contradict.
That's not really what I'm saying- not looking to undermine reality here. I'm saying that it's a winning line to ride, period. And it's very obvious that variance (and there is some potentially soul-crushing variance there, wow) plays a major part in who looks good from day to day, or even month to month. But the bias is clearly going to be in thinking there are too many stock market geniuses.

I know, and I think you are. How is a he a fraud exactly? Give me some stock picks for a week and I will compare your performance.

LOL! I think that if you think that that's a reasonable test, you are really poorly informed. But also, I wouldn't give you tips for free because my company sells research for a lot of money and it would be incredibly unethical for me to either give it away online or to give tips that weren't based on serious research. That's the whole point.

That's not really what I'm saying- not looking to undermine reality here. I'm saying that it's a winning line to ride, period. And it's very obvious that variance (and there is some potentially soul-crushing variance there, wow) plays a major part in who looks good from day to day, or even month to month. But the bias is clearly going to be in thinking there are too many stock market geniuses.

There are many charlatans but this kid is just showing people some things. Says never buy on anyone's advice. Do your own research. You guys are acting like he is on QVC or something and claiming to be a prophet. He is just showing what he does and you can try it if you want. And creates a positive community where we talk talk stocks.

I might not know much more about the stock market than that I need to contribute the employer-matched max to my 401K but isn't the general point that it's more like the field of psychology than the field of chemistry?

You can speculate from an informed and skilled perspective but it's still little more than speculation and as often as not an octopus picking a flag will make the right decision.

These guys promoting the "do this and you'll be rich, no question" thing seem to be generally full of shit.

However, if any of the great minds of Sherdog can educate me on how I'm wrong and how I can get rich by playing with numbers without risk that I'll go broke I'm all ears.

LOL! I think that if you think that that's a reasonable test, you are really poorly informed. But also, I wouldn't give you tips for free because my company sells research for a lot of money and it would be incredibly unethical for me to either give it away online or to give tips that weren't based on serious research. That's the whole point.

Yup, sure. You have too much an advantage to actually make money. Don't be mad this kid is richer than you will ever be. Put up or shut up. Oh and you charge people for information? Talk about a huckster.

I said the same thing about being a football punter. It looks easy. If you thought you could make easy money, why wouldn't you do it? You would be fucking over greedy capitalists.

Sports betting is largely illegal in the US. You know what is even harder that sports betting? Scratch off tickets. Maybe you should try them.

Yeah, I've done the simulated trading stuff with coworkers and came out well.

But you're not fucking over capitalists: you're feeding into the motor of a parasitic economic model.

Yup, sure. You have too much an advantage to actually make money. Don't be mad this kid is richer than you will ever be. Put up or shut up.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But he's not getting rich from his knowledge of the stock market. He makes his money by conning suckers like you.

These guys promoting the "do this and you'll be rich, no question" thing seem to be generally full of shit.

This is 100% correct, and anyone who knows anything about this would say the same thing. Except not just "generally;" they're all full of shit.

There are many charlatans but this kid is just showing people some things. Says never buy on anyone's advice. Do your own research. You guys are acting like he is on QVC or something and claiming to be a prophet. He is just showing what he does and you can try it if you want. And creates a positive community where we talk talk stocks.
Don't care about this dude, whoever he is, just more remarking on your attitude toward the game.

The long-term trends are really interesting to me because they resemble ROI profiles of hyperaggressive, brilliant poker players who have a moderately high risk threshold.

Yeah, I've done the simulated trading stuff with coworkers and came out well.

But you're not fucking over capitalists: you're feeding into the motor of a parasitic economic model.

And that model is unsustainable and the more people into it will sooner bring its destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back