War Room OT Discussion v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the difference between i5 and i7 something you would factor in?

For laptops both come in dual core and quad core configurations which matters more than simply i5 vs i7. There's also several generations of these processors.

Note that I'm not at all an expert on laptops. I just tried to do a lot of research when I was shopping for one. I ended up deciding on a Dell XPS for my budget and needs.

Last edited:
Is the difference between i5 and i7 something you would factor in?

No. Typically the main differences between Intel's i5 and i7 are that the i7 utilizes Intel's implementation of simultaneous multi-threading and has more L3 cache. The difference between single models is mostly base clock speed. Simultaneous multi-threading (Intel call their technology 'hyperthreading') is what sometimes is described as "one CPU core acts as two" in layman's terms. A thread is a unit of CPU utilization but in order to handle/define such a thread not all components of a processing unit, or of a physical 'core' (including actual computation units), are necessary. So it is sufficient to double certain components in a physical CPU core but share others, including caches and executions units, to allow a processor to issue instructions from multiple threads with every CPU cycle.
Due to costs and limitations, you obviously don't get twice the speed from an Intel Dual-Core with hyperthreading compared to a similar Dual-Core without. It's a form of parallelization but it's not the equivalent to actually doubling physical cores. How much of an improvement SMT can offer strongly depends on what application you're looking at.

When it comes to mobile CPUs in laptops it's a different story because some i5s also utilize hyperthreading. An i5 in a laptop is either a dual-core with hyperthreading or a quad-core without hyperthreading, an i7 is either a dual-core with hyperthreading or a quad-core with hyperthreading.
So between an i5 with hyperthreading and an i7 with hyperthreading, the only differences are L3 cache and clock speed, depending on what models you're actually comparing.
When you compare dual-cores with lower clock speed to quad-cores with higher clock speed, the quad-core will obviously win, when you look at a dual-core with higher clock speed vs a quad-core with lower clock speed, it might again depend on the application you're running.

In the case of Lenovo's T570, all available i5 CPUs support hyperthreading and none of the available i7 CPUs is a quad-core, so you're comparing dual-cores with hyperthreading to dual-cores with hyperthreading. It's most likely not worth the extra $$$ at all. According to the Lenovo website, the upgrade from an Intel Core i5-7300U (2x 2.6, 3MB Cache) to an Intel Core i7-7600U (2x2.8, 4MB cache) costs $170. You can buy an SSD plus additional RAM for the same money and you're good to go.
ASQ2Cii.png

Needless to say that you won't notice any difference in everyday's life (browsing, office applications, text editing, Skype, photo editing etc) whatsoever.
Hope that helps.

It's pretty interesting to see how the Weinstein ordeal inspired women in Sweden to come forward.

So far one of the most repugnant and politically correct journalist at the biggest tabloid has been named by a pretty well-known woman in media as a rapist. The rumours are nothing new and has circulated on the internet for many years but now it's in the open.

After that, many other women has come forward and named several left-wing activists as guilty of sexual misconduct. The accusers are also on the far left.

If it wasn't sexual crimes with real victims, I would insert the mandatory gif with Michael Jackson eating popcorn.

Twitter is dying. It's stock is low as shit and I researched to see if there was any hope for a rebound but no. That surprised me. Can't imagine a world without Twitter. Tweets break news all the time. This Weinstein shit has largely grown through Twitter. Twitter is only for celebs basically. I will be glad to see it fall.

They also estimate that Trump tweeting brings in signficant revenue to the company and is really the only bright spot they have right now. But they are still failing. They would be failing even more without Trump.

Twitter is dying. It's stock is low as shit and I researched to see if there was any hope for a rebound but no. That surprised me. Can't imagine a world without Twitter. Tweets break news all the time. This Weinstein shit has largely grown through Twitter. Twitter is only for celebs basically. I will be glad to see it fall.

They also estimate that Trump tweeting brings in signficant revenue to the company and is really the only bright spot they have right now. But they are still failing. They would be failing even more without Trump.

Market cap is over $13B. They have over $4B in cash on their balance sheet. A lot of their other numbers look ugly (very negative operating and net margins, for example), but they always have (12M operating margin has improved for 11 straight qtrs). I think either of us would need to do a lot more work to be able to say that it's either undervalued or overvalued at this point. The notion that any single user has any noticeable impact is silly.

But putting the business aside, seems like a cool product that people enjoy using. Why would you want it to fall?

Market cap is over $13B. They have over $4B in cash on their balance sheet. A lot of their other numbers look ugly (very negative operating and net margins, for example), but they always have (12M operating margin has improved for 11 straight qtrs). I think either of us would need to do a lot more work to be able to say that it's either undervalued or overvalued at this point. The notion that any single user has any noticeable impact is silly.

But putting the business aside, seems like a cool product that people enjoy using. Why would you want it to fall?

Cool product? It is for children and celebrties. Same thing.

Buy it then. I am pretty confident it is over. When that single user is the POTUS and the most talked about person in the world, yeah he has impact. What do people need Twitter for? What is its role? You can post your thoughts, pictures, etc on Facebook and other sites. Where does Twitter fit? And Twitter is just Twitter. It is nothing else. Facebook is always getting into new shit. They are working with Intel on AI. They just signed a deal with the NFL which Twitter already tried and failed.

Aside from the strength in the market, how else can you explain TWTR’s improvement this year? It’s certainly not sales, as the company’s revenues have actually declined in the first two quarters of 2017, just two years removed from growing as much as 74%. And the company is no closer to profitability, with losses of $0.16 per share and $0.09 per share in each of the last two quarters.

So, that brings me back to my Trump theory. LikeFacebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) before it, Twitter was already a wildly popular form of communication, instant reaction and breaking news prior to Trump taking office. Now it’s part of our everyday fabric. Even if you don’t use or don’t know how to use Twitter, you know what it is, thanks to the 45thpresident’s constant use of the platform. Whether you’re a millennial with an iPhone 8 or a 95-year-old with no computer, “tweeting” has become part of your everyday vernacular this year.

https://investorplace.com/2017/10/twitter-inc-twtr-stock-trump/2/#.Wejc7dQrLDc

With 36.2 million followers and 35,000 tweets since 2009, President Donald Trump could be worth as much as $2 billion to Twitter (TWTR-Get Report) , according to Monness Crespi Hardt analyst James Cakmak. That's almost 20% of Twitter's $11 billion market value at stake on the @realDonaldTrump handle

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14276147/1/donald-trump-could-be-worth-2-billion-to-twitter.html

The social media companyreported no monthly active user growth in the second quarter,which was one of the main metrics investors were looking for.

In the first quarter, the company grew its monthly users by 9%, due in part to President Donald Trump's avid use of the platform. The company has had trouble keeping up with rival platforms like Facebook, which recently hit 2 billion users.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...-reporting-zero-user-growth-2017-7-1002210573

Twitter, Inc. (NYSE:TWTR) Director Evan Clark Williams sold 409,115 shares of the company’s stock in a transaction that occurred on Thursday, October 12th. The stock was sold at an average price of $17.95, for a total transaction of $7,343,614.25.

On Monday, September 25th, Evan Clark Williams sold 9,845 shares of Twitter stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $17.02, for a total transaction of $167,561.90.

On Tuesday, September 26th, Evan Clark Williams sold 319,385 shares of Twitter stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $16.92, for a total transaction of $5,403,994.20.

On Wednesday, September 13th, Evan Clark Williams sold 546,200 shares of Twitter stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $18.15, for a total transaction of $9,913,530.00.

On Thursday, August 24th, Evan Clark Williams sold 9,173 shares of Twitter stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $16.91, for a total transaction of $155,115.43.

On Friday, August 25th, Evan Clark Williams sold 127,427 shares of Twitter stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $16.67, for a total transaction of $2,124,208.09.

On Wednesday, August 9th, Evan Clark Williams sold 273,300 shares of Twitter stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $16.16, for a total transaction of $4,416,528.00.

Last edited:
Cool product? It is for children and celebrties. Same thing.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Makes it easy to follow writers you like and create a kind of custom magazine.

Aside from the strength in the market, how else can you explain TWTR’s improvement this year? It’s certainly not sales, as the company’s revenues have actually declined in the first two quarters of 2017, just two years removed from growing as much as 74%. And the company is no closer to profitability, with losses of $0.16 per share and $0.09 per share in each of the last two quarters.

All of this stuff is beside the point. TWTR is down YOY, for one thing. For another, all this is already widely known and factored into the current price. The difference of opinion here isn't based on an assessment of Twitter's business but on mental models of what moves share price. And I pointed out their current position to show that they are certainly not dying in the sense of "about to die soon." Maybe in the sense of "on a path that leads to death at some point in the future." But we're all dying in that sense.

And the Trump thing is really just partisan silliness of the type I usually avoid. If it makes Republicans feel good to think that Trump is sustaining Twitter, whatever.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Makes it easy to follow writers you like and create a kind of custom magazine.

Twitter is great in my opinion, nonsense like GamerGate aside. I'm a programmer, and Twitter has actually been a great asset in finding code written by great programmers with permissive licenses. What happens, of course, is that you follow one: then they retweet someone else and then you follow that person. Quite a few have a blog or a code repository that they link to in their bio: click that and you could have a lot of useful info on your hands quite quickly. Additionally, they'll frequently tweet about articles, studies, books or codebases that they find interesting, resulting in my twitter feed being a maelstrom of tech info.

I'm definitely more knowledgeable because of Twitter, and there's no reason it couldn't work like this for anyone else, in any other profession.

But we're all dying in that sense.

This is actually the second time today I hear this. I don't think about death a lot, and suddenly I come across two separate instances of "technically, we're all dying". Today became unexpectedly morbid!

Twitter is great in my opinion, nonsense like GamerGate aside. I'm a programmer, and Twitter has actually been a great asset in finding code written by great programmers with permissive licenses. What happens, of course, is that you follow one: then they retweet someone else and then you follow that person. Quite a few have a blog or a code repository that they link to in their bio: click that and you could have a lot of useful info on your hands quite quickly. Additionally, they'll frequently tweet about articles, studies, books or codebases that they find interesting, resulting in my twitter feed being a maelstrom of tech info.
If only you could filter out tweets on politics, memes, a researcher's tweets about his dogs or favorite video game and other unrelated stuff.
If somebody has a blog or Github repo, I'll add it to my RSS reader and immediately unfollow them on twitter.
Not only does it by default filter out a lot of shit I don't wanna see, I also feel like a good rss reader (using newsbeuter atm) which allows you to group and tag feeds and offers keybindings to quickly bookmark, mark as read, open in browser, sort, search, fuzzy-find etc makes you process information so much faster than reading through a twitter feed.
Whenever I open my rss reader in the morning, I have 100-300 unread items but a minute later or so I've quickly bookmarked everything I found interesting and marked everything else as 'read'.
I use a 'read now' list which I read right afterwards for stuff that might be relevant to my job and a 'read later' list for less important stuff. I'm not aware of any twitter client which would allow me to handle the same number of tweets anywhere near as efficiently plus you have much more tweets to begin with. Still, Twitter is more useful than basically any other social media platform.w

All of this stuff is beside the point. TWTR is down YOY, for one thing. For another, all this is already widely known and factored into the current price. The difference of opinion here isn't based on an assessment of Twitter's business but on mental models of what moves share price. And I pointed out their current position to show that they are certainly not dying in the sense of "about to die soon." Maybe in the sense of "on a path that leads to death at some point in the future." But we're all dying in that sense.

And the Trump thing is really just partisan silliness of the type I usually avoid. If it makes Republicans feel good to think that Trump is sustaining Twitter, whatever.

Jack's right, Twitter is pretty cool, even if they are constantly banning people for inexplicable reasons.

He doesn't ask permission like some beta he just goes for it

@Jack V Savage

who do you like in the GSP/Bisping fight?

thinking about laying down huge on Mike

Can't analyze it based on the tapes, I think, because GSP is probably not going to be the same. My thinking was that he wouldn't do it if he wasn't pretty confident that he could win (and I don't see GSP as the type to have unjustified confidence). But he might just be dismissive of Bisping/have trouble facing up to decline honestly. I'll pass on betting or trying to predict it.

@Gandhi might have more real info here..

Can't analyze it based on the tapes, I think, because GSP is probably not going to be the same. My thinking was that he wouldn't do it if he wasn't pretty confident that he could win (and I don't see GSP as the type to have unjustified confidence). But he might just be dismissive of Bisping/have trouble facing up to decline honestly. I'll pass on betting or trying to predict it.

@Gandhi might have more real info here..

i agree with GSP not being one to take a non cerebral approach to fights -- but 36 years old, 4 year hiatus and 2 major reconstructive surgeries. Moving up in weight class to fight someone who has been more active, fought top level over the past 4 years, is the bigger guy and has a top notch gas tank.

just too tempting.

i agree with GSP not being one to take a non cerebral approach to fights -- but 36 years old, 4 year hiatus and 2 major reconstructive surgeries. Moving up in weight class to fight someone who has been more active, fought top level over the past 4 years, is the bigger guy and has a top notch gas tank.

just too tempting.

All of that is true, but it's Bisping, man. He's like Forrest Griffin, Mir, or Jardine in that I never got what people see in him. Fringe contender.

All of that is true, but it's Bisping, man. He's like Forrest Griffin, Mir, or Jardine in that I never got what people see in him. Fringe contender.

He's a step above those guys level and his a game fighter who has beaten strong grapplers. GSP was a beast but we started to see a decline before the hiatus -- and he just gotten older and more damaged since.

I cant see George out pillow fisting Bisping and id be shocked if he can hold him down like sonnen did. I just see the advantages more pilled on Mikes side.

just too tempting.
You're getting a good price, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back