War Room OT Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Conor really sits out until Spring with his child on the way and all, I assume they'll make Khabib/Ferguson is the meantime. I hope Nate fights someone too because I love Nate. Maybe an RDA rematch or a fight with Barbosa.

Tony/Khabib would be an awesome interim fight. They honestly can put on great interim fights while he is out but I think with her due date in May, he is going to get pressured to fight in April. He seemed to think she was due in April

Goldberg and Lesnar face off is happening on RAW right now. Awwww yeah!

Had nowhere else to put this, so here ya go:

I gotta say, as a harsh Van Jones critic, "Street Van Jones" is a lot more reasonable than he is on CNN.

I gotta say, as a harsh Van Jones critic, "Street Van Jones" is a lot more reasonable than he is on CNN.

I think having to talk to a non-pundit forces you to be a little more real. They get in a bubble where it's them against Pundit B and they completely forget what reality is.

I think having to talk to a non-pundit forces you to be a little more real. They get in a bubble where it's them against Pundit B and they completely forget what reality is.

It really puts into perspective the damage the media can do to the narrative.

Remember when John Stewart went on that stupid show "Crossfire" and slammed the whole fuckin' thing, and pretty much got it cancelled? We need another moment like that, only for the entire media, because due to how divided the nation is, the entire media has basically become that stupid show. Left Vs Right with no real productive purpose.

It really puts into perspective the damage the media can do to the narrative.

Remember when John Stewart went on that stupid show "Crossfire" and slammed the whole fuckin' thing, and pretty much got it cancelled? We need another moment like that, only for the entire media, because due to how divided the nation is, the entire media has basically become that stupid show. Left Vs Right with no real productive purpose.

I definitely don't like the way 24 hour news runs with these pundits from each side brought in and they have to always represent side A and side B. You get rewarded for being a drone over thinking for yourself and even when you don't, the host/moderator is usually on a side too and paints it up as a defeat for the other person if they concede anything. They literally enforce never letting people concede and then they wonder why we can't reach middle ground.

However, if Stewart called them out on that, he really could look into his own format. He'd ramble off something to get an applause from his crowd and then if the person came back with their own good point, he'd make a joke and ignore it entirely. He definitely walked a tightrope with what he did. I preferred Colbert's approach.

I definitely don't like the way 24 hour news runs with these pundits from each side brought in and they have to always represent side A and side B. You get rewarded for being a drone over thinking for yourself and even when you don't, the host/moderator is usually on a side too and paints it up as a defeat for the other person if they concede anything. They literally enforce never letting people concede and then they wonder why we can't reach middle ground.

However, if Stewart called them out on that, he really could look into his own format. He'd ramble off something to get an applause from his crowd and then if the person came back with their own good point, he'd make a joke and ignore it entirely. He definitely walked a tightrope with what he did. I preferred Colbert's approach.
The Colbert Report was so great. His, "The Word" segments were always fantastic.

The Colbert Report was so great. His, "The Word" segments were always fantastic.

I'll always miss that show. There are so many of these shows now but I think Colbert did it best. Stewart definitely made it huge though.

The Colbert Report was fantastic, his new show is absolute shit.

what happened to you Colbert, your ass used to be beautiful .

Due to work I find myself stuck at home, bored, and unable to enjoy the finer things in life. So I have a question for you regulars - What brought you to the War Room? And what made you stay?

For myself it was the Trayvon Martin shooting. I just couldn't figure out why some rogue vigilante would hunt down a cute 9 year old and kill him in cold blood. The msm told me a racist white man chased and killed a little kid for no good reason, yet some of you buggers painted a different picture.

I've been stuck here since, with 90% of my posts being in this sub forum. Up untill that point I had perhaps 200 posts. How time flies when you're reading stuff ranging from the brilliant to the downright idiotic...

An unhealthy obsession with sadomasochism.
Also, I stumbled upon some threads about minimum wage (back when we discussed other topics than muslims and black people), and I realized this place badly needed my genius. To the joy of everyone I have stayed ever since, and like you, I probably have around 80 - 90% of my posts on this subforum and the emptiness inside keeps on growing.

One of my favorite youtube videos.
Goes to show how much of a divide you can actually close, if you just have a normal conversation with people.

The interviews were also great, and he actually had interesting guests on.

Now he's just another microphone holder for nobody-gives-a-fuck celebrities. No idea why he thought that was the best direction for his career.

I think I did the Heavies for about two years, then moved to mayberry. While I was there I was lurk in the OT and then eventually the WR. I ended up posting in the WR and slowly stopped in Mayberry. Now I always have to take a step back when I enter the heavies. I forgot how ridiculous it gets in there. You mention anything about a fighter and you get 20 "yea but that guy lost to this guy so he's a can". If you were to try to make rankings with the way people talking in there, noone would be in their top ten. I remember I would have ranking discussions (this is back when the rankings did make a little more sense and who got title shots) and I'd get someone saying, "that guys isn't #3!" and then I'd asked who are the three fighters above him then and you'd get nothing. They are incapable of raising people up and the few who do have a discussion with me seemed to based rankings on potential rather than performance up to that point in time.

Anyways, I can't remember a specific event other than lurking and seeing a bunch of regulars argue with each other.

I would assume this is the story for most posters here. 1 to 4 years Heavies until you cannot take it any more, then War Room with possible Mayberry intermission.

What do you guys think of McGregor asking for a piece of the promotion? I'm pretty concerned it is the first step in the UFC collapsing as the leader in the sport and I'm a guy who always laughs at UFC is dying threads. The problem with the promotion if it has to give in to these demands is it gets more and more weighed down with prior obligations until the next superstar is able to make more money either at a leaner promotion or on their own compared to the UFC. Also, you have to add on the speculation of the debt that may be on the sale which puts pressure on huge returns in order to return the investment.

I think McGregor is the first guy that has really gotten to this point. He may be able to self promote and have major success doing so which means UFC may not be able to put it's foot down and stop this. They lose either way. Give in for a long term doom or don't give in for a short term one. It sucks cause I'm very much for a single dominant promotion as a fan.

I thought about it for a while and I see where McGregor is coming from. He has the company completely by the balls. He clowned the company when he did not vacate his belt. He is the one who ensures they get their RoI.

I definitely can imagine that they might pay him in company shares. If he eventually owns, say, 3 percent of a 4 billion business, he has what he wants and the majority owners will probably have it, too.

I would assume this is the story for most posters here. 1 to 4 years Heavies until you cannot take it any more, then War Room with possible Mayberry intermission.

I think it's the first part but after the heavies, people go to any of the other ones. I wouldn't say War Room is the go to. A lot of people just post in the Grappling forum only. Mayberry and OT definitely have their own distinct crowds. Sports Bar definitely has it's own group. I actually think WR is not the norm place to journey afterwards.

I thought about it for a while and I see where McGregor is coming from. He has the company completely by the balls. He clowned the company when he did not vacate his belt. He is the one who ensures they get their RoI.

I definitely can imagine that they might pay him in company shares. If he eventually owns, say, 3 percent of a 4 billion business, he has what he wants and the majority owners will probably have it, too.

I understand it from Conor's perspective but I'm coming from a macro perspective of the sport itself or at least the fan's view of the sport at least. Fighters should try to get as much money as they can but Conor easily could be the first guy that destroys the system in place with the UFC. People can bitch about the UFC all they want, but a centralized promotion is great for a fan. You are limited at all with dream matchups and you usually do know who is the best in every division. If Conor bucks the promotion and things begin to decentralize, we don't get that anymore and we get way more power to the fighters handling promoter type duties which means longer lay offs and selective match making. It can easily become shitty like boxing got fast.

The buyout worries me. Not necessarily because there are new owners but I kinda see it as a hyped start up company going public and over valuing their stock. That can sink a company. With the UFC buyers, I'm worried they paid in too high and now they are going to have an unrealistic expectation about returns. I think we already are seeing it with some of the matchmaking. It could just be coincidence but I do believe the title shots have not been as clear as they use to be. It's been all over the place recently. I'm a huge Hendo fan and I till was like wtf with the title shot. Kinda worked out since Rockhold got hurt. And McGregor seems to be the reason for all the madness at FW and LW now. Actually both those examples all happened because of a late replacement upsetting a champ and rearranging everything.

Went into the heavies again last night during the Woodley-Thompson mix up and sure enough, you got 50 posters all shitting on Buffer. They had no idea what happened at all and even saw Buffer leave the cage to talk to them but who cares about finding out facts, lets just shit on Bruce and assume it was all his fault. It couldn't have possibly been New Yorks commission handling one of their first MMA cards and getting mixed up. Just completely baffles me how asinine people act in there.

I think it's the first part but after the heavies, people go to any of the other ones. I wouldn't say War Room is the go to. A lot of people just post in the Grappling forum only. Mayberry and OT definitely have their own distinct crowds. Sports Bar definitely has it's own group. I actually think WR is not the norm place to journey afterwards.
I guess it depends on your interests. If highschool relationship questions or food vs food threads are your thing then the Berry is the place for you. About the only thing I like there is @Dragonlordxxxxx movie threads and the nerd discussions. I'm more into figuring out what makes people tick and do crazy shit so the WR is more my speed. Even if half my posts are tongue in cheek shit posts.

No For Gay Colbert Report

I'm guessing he didn't get to keep his writers on the new show

No For Gay Colbert Report

I'm guessing he didn't get to keep his writers on the new show

I think what Wadtucket is trying to say here is don't forget Colbert Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back